Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Missed Connections…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Recell

Global Vendor
May 22, 2022
Austin
You: your name is Jennifer (or at least that’s what the driver profile said), you sold your 2015 AWD Performance Model S with Autopilot and Unlimited Supercharging at auction for a song.

Us: Recell got your car back on the road simply by replacing a $17 rubber seal on the High Voltage connector. It’s now back on the road with a 2-year / 25,000 mile limited warranty on the battery pack. We don’t care what he told you Jennifer, dump your Tesla boyfriend…

268AC4E9-ACCB-4EAA-86F7-C9E01666AC79.jpeg

Last edited:
While seemingly apocryphal - this actually did happen with a car that we had in recently - the purpose of this post is actually about the importance of vehicle owners (and apparently their insurers…) reaching out to independent service centers like Recell, wk057, Electrified Garage and others to get more details on exactly what is going on with these battery packs.

Certainly some will need replacement, and a BMS_u029 weak short alert can be a really tough one to swallow, but... not every BMS alert requires a full pack replacement to get these cars back on the road. In this case, a basic external isolation fault was quickly identified and resolved without anyone having to replace the battery pack.

Last edited:
While seemingly apocryphal - this actually did happen with a car that we had in recently - the purpose of this post is actually about the importance of vehicle owners (and apparently their insurers…) reaching out to independent service centers like Recell, wk057, Electrified Garage and others to get more details on exactly what is going on with these battery packs.

Certainly some will need replacement, and a BMS_u029 weak short alert can be a really tough one to swallow, but... not every BMS alert requires a full pack replacement to get these cars back on the road. In this case, a basic external isolation fault was quickly identified and resolved without anyone having to replace the battery pack.
When you remove the battery pack, do you take before and after pictures to send to the owners? Especially the rust or corroded parts / area?

we certainly can if (and have) if the owner requests it. however, our refurbishment line is separate from the intake/remove/install/delivery process so we may not always be able to. but certainly we try to accommodate customer requests whenever possible.

Reactions: cleverscreenam
we certainly can if (and have) if the owner requests it. however, our refurbishment line is separate from the intake/remove/install/delivery process so we may not always be able to. but certainly we try to accommodate customer requests whenever possible.
Ok, thanks. I'm shipping my vehicle to you and will need pictures of the current state. I want to see if the battery pack is affected by rust / corrosion caused by the AC condensation.

Hip-Hip Hooray for 3rd-party independent repair shops, especially shops specializing in EVs!
and GM apparently ...
According to a recent report published by Teslarati, General Motors is now servicing Tesla's vehicles at its dealerships, and the automaker actually sees it as a growing business.
While some folks may be thinking that any legacy dealership could be repairing Tesla's EVs, and that GM's entry into this business is no big deal, a closer look suggests otherwise. GM claimed that it has already repaired some 11,000 Tesla cars and SUVs to date.

• Informative
Reactions: cleverscreenam
Amazing, considering they can no longer fix any drivetrain or electrical parts on my 2019 Chevy Volt 🤣 They say there's no technicians trained on the Volt's systems within 100 miles, but they keep mailing me the reminder cards to schedule service.
I know someone that had their Bolt battery pack replaced and they were given a NEW pack with a NEW 10 yr, 80,000-mile warranty. That's the way it should be.

Yeah, they didn't have a choice...
"Federal law requires automakers to warranty EV and hybrid batteries for at least eight years or 100,000 miles. California requires a 10-year, 150,000-mile warranty on EV and hybrid batteries. Still, EV battery warranties vary considerably, especially when it comes to degradation. "

The longer California warranty also applies to all other states that enforce CARB standards: Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico (2011 model year and later), New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington (2009 model year and later), as well as the District of Columbia.
source: joinyaa.com/guides/ev-battery-warranties/

The Chevy dealer told me the Volt being a hybrid, is much more complex than the Bolt EV.

Reactions: ddb1001
Yeah, they didn't have a choice...
"Federal law requires automakers to warranty EV and hybrid batteries for at least eight years or 100,000 miles. California requires a 10-year, 150,000-mile warranty on EV and hybrid batteries. Still, EV battery warranties vary considerably, especially when it comes to degradation. "
I don't think that is a law yet, it is just a proposal. (I think the currently law only applies to hybrids and not EVs. (Which is how Tesla has less than a 10-year/150k mile warranty on the EVs it sells in California.)

Reactions: android04