Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missed in the $35k Model 3 announcement... There is now a "standard range" Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The wording for Autopilot has also changed. It looks like some of the features we're moved to FSD?
Capture+_2019-02-28-17-52-50.png

What does this mean for peolpe who previously only bought Autopilot and not FSD?

Based off pure math, it looks like this car would be using a ~80kWh battery (give or take). Guessing it is more similar to the 100kWh pack so as to simplify manufacturing (thinking it's just the 100kWh minus a few battery banks).

The “new” Standard Range Model S is identical to the 75D in acceleration, max speed and even weight. I highly doubt they are using 80 kWh packs suddenly. What I’m most curious about is if this is the case, are 75D owners going to get a range bump, like the RWD LR3 owners just did?

They started offering the standard range and extended range S and X over a month ago, in the last week of January.

Ugh they didn't release a Standard for the Model X yet :( I have a year before we have to get the wife a new vehicle and I was hoping for a new Model X....
They had a standard range X that was a software restricted 100 kWh battery since the last week of January. Today, they removed it and only the extended range X is still available. The standard range had 25 miles less range and cost $8000 less than the extended range. Now the extended range only costs about $2000 more than the standard range that was removed.

• Informative
Reactions: AvengerBB
They started offering the standard range and extended ranger S and X over a month ago, in the last week of January.

They had a standard range X that was a software restricted 100 kWh battery since the last week of January. Today, they removed it and only the extended range X is still available. The standard range had 25 miles less range and cost $8000 less than the extended range. Now the extended range only costs about $2000 more than the standard range that was removed.

Thanks. They make so many changes, it’s impossible to keep up.

Yeah prices are dropping fast. My S100D is only 8 months old and the exact same config is now $17K less. Only difference is I have lifetime SuC and LTE, so maybe worth a couple $K at the most? I feel like the people who bought a house in Las Vegas or Florida right before the 2008 housing crash. Looks like I'm keeping her for a long time, so resale won't matter.

Yeah prices are dropping fast. My S100D is only 8 months old and the exact same config is now $17K less. Only difference is I have lifetime SuC and LTE, so maybe worth a couple $K at the most? I feel like the people who bought a house in Las Vegas or Florida right before the 2008 housing crash. Looks like I'm keeping her for a long time, so resale won't matter.

we actually bought in AZ right before. Lost $150K of equity. Finally back to even 10 yrs later.. It has made us very gun shy for large purchases.

resale doesn't matter, but one could have bought a lot more for less $$ by waiting just a few months.

They started offering the standard range and extended range S and X over a month ago, in the last week of January.

It looks like pending orders for Standard Range Model X were converted to Long Range. Now they get the full battery range and I don't see any change in price. That looks like an $8000 price drop since February 3rd.

The “new” Standard Range Model S is identical to the 75D in acceleration, max speed and even weight. I highly doubt they are using 80 kWh packs suddenly. What I’m most curious about is if this is the case, are 75D owners going to get a range bump, like the RWD LR3 owners just did?

As in my post about 105 Tesla's and Elon's patent on dual electrolyte's, I think they either improved battery chemistry by ~4% or they are software locking 100's. Software locking 100's would be weird from a cost standpoint. Even at $100/kw you'd still be losing 2k a vehicle. It's not making sense why they didn't follow suit on the X tho. Maybe Elon is mad about the ipace and etron compares? If they did get the extra capacity we'll see LR S go to 350 miles which would be cool.

As in my post about 105 Tesla's and Elon's patent on dual electrolyte's, I think they either improved battery chemistry by ~4% or they are software locking 100's. Software locking 100's would be weird from a cost standpoint. Even at $100/kw you'd still be losing 2k a vehicle. It's not making sense why they didn't follow suit on the X tho. Maybe Elon is mad about the ipace and etron compares? If they did get the extra capacity we'll see LR S go to 350 miles which would be cool.
There are several threads from the last week of January when they launched the Standard Range and Extended Range S & X. We were told at the time that it was just a software limit to 92% of the battery, similar to how they software limited the 75 kWh battery to 60 kWh.

As mentioned before, they did originally "follow suit" on the X but then later removed the Standard Range...and now offer the Long Range X at the same price.