Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missed opportunities or supply constraint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems like there are alot of markets that Tesla is currently missing out on. In particular the three most glaring omissions in their international expansion appear to be:
1. South Korea
2. Israel
3. Middle East

Either Tesla is severely supply constrained or there is a severe misapplication of resources in their international expansion efforts.

Argument for Korea:

1. massive ev incentives in the country -
we know that Tesla is struggling to gain the ev incentives in China currently but in Korea, the country currently offers between $19,000-24,000 in EV incentives for new vehicle sales.
With gov’t subsidies, this is the moment to buy an electric car-INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

2. strong market for premium cars
Korea is currently the fifth largest market in the world for the mercedes S-class and E-class
Korea has tax incentives that make it lucrative to lease expensive foreign vehicles. Even though the S-class starts at $130k, it is the fifth largest market in the world after Germany, China, the United States for premium mercedes. I believe the same is true for the bmw 7 series. Last time I checked it was the 4th largest market in the world for the 7-series.
Mercedes Chairman Touts Brand in South Korea - Biztellers
Despite gas prices that run up to $2.50/liter, large foreign cars dominate the market and I think tesla would do well in the country.
Due to import duties a Hyundai Equus that would resale for $60k in the US sells for $150k in South Korea.
2014 º¥Ã÷ SŬ·¡½º : ÀÚµ¿Â÷ ¸ðµ¨ Àüü : ³×À̹ö ÀÚµ¿Â÷

3. strong EV infrastructure
South Korea is a tiny country (roughly the size of Ohio but greater in population than the entire west coast (CA OR WA)
for all intensive purposes, South Korea is an island (N. Korea) You cannot drive more than 400km
West Coast of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Comparing The United States to South Korea.
-thus the country of 52 million could be easily served by 4 superchargers
-Strong government support for public charging
http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=2980587harging
-Tesla is already behind BMW in Korea, who just donated 30 chargers to the island of Jeju
-the island of Jeju is trying to make the entire island EV within the next ten years and currently offers incentives of 24K per EV.
BMW Donates 30 Charging Stations to Jeju Island, South Korea - i3 Sales to Start There Next May | Inside EVs

Israel - same argument as Korea - fairly wealthy, tech heavy country in which EV vehicles are perfect (due to geopolitical considerations) that make it impossible to drive more than 400km.

bh,

welcome to the forum & thanks for detailed description of the situation in Korea. Is Korea a country for RHD car? And what kind of electric grid is there, would buyers want their Tesla with single phase charge port like in Japan? If yes and yes, I bet you will soon see Model S being imported privately from Japan.

I am fairly sure Tesla has plans to conquer the world, but they will do it one by one.

Korea is LHD so no imports from Japan. There have been a couple grey market imports from the States though. Not quite sure about the electric grid, I think it's 220V. Most people live in large apartment buildings with underground parking so I'm not quite sure how they would set up the charging. I think the BMW i3 launches April 24th in Korea.