Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missed opportunity: No inverter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is one of those rare threads in which essentially everyone agrees: Tesla missed a great opportunity. I often need to run a long extension cord up to the street in front of my house. It would be nice to just plug in to my parked car. But apparently it's not difficult to get something after-marketed in at a reasonable price. I wonder what impact this could have on my battery warranty?

I agree with the OP.

Outlander PHEV has one 100V (I think 120 in the U.S.) outlet up to 1.5kW. It also has the ability to power the house via CHAdeMO connector in emergencies or just peak shifting. There are some products available to connect PV, house, car, battery and utility to allow power to be served at all times. The controller can be programmed to how the PV power is used (going to utility or car or house), how the utility power is used and when to charge your car.

The inverter and ability to power home is IMHO nice to have option for X. You would purchase PowerWall for daily peak cutting and PV power charging needs, but if your priority is power backup in electricity outage or in emergencies, your X could be a backup generator for a few days.

The Gen 2 DC-DC is rated at 2.5kW maximum. You would probably want to limit any 12v draw to 1.5kW to ensure there is enough for the other systems.

Thanks ingineer. 1,500 watts or even 1,000 watts would be great. Now all I have to do is figure out how to tap into the 12v bus at a reasonable place for an off the shelf inverter. Of course, first I need my Model X!

I'd like to see Tesla support third party devices through high capacity DC ports. An inverter would become one of the items on the list. I think letting 3rd party companies deal with inverter headaches would be best, once Tesla provides the support for the plug and attachment.

Don't know. Does the Model X have this? I don't think it even has a nose cone. Besides, not exactly user friendly.

Oh, I forgot about the thread starting from the X. I said above that I wish this would be added to both current models. I thought about this for when we go camping. We usually take a motorcycle battery with us, an inverter, and power a CPAP with it. I figured the car could provide this functionality. Recently we've just made sure there is power available where we go, so it isn't a huge problem.

For the X, how does one "jump" the 12v if it dies? And it will be interesting to see if they used the same 12v in the X as they do in the S.

No reason to not have USB charge ports accessible in every seating position. Most SUVs have USB/12v/110v Inverters. Our town and country has 110v plug in the back seating area.

There is a ton of opportunity with Tesla since they have 70-90kw of power to work with. This could power the average home for 3-5 days if needed in Emergency situation. This could have easily been done with a designed transfer switch to work in tandem with the Tesla. At the very least, there should be a 500w 115v Inverter which could power refrigerator or handheld vacuum.

It's nonsense that they haven't done more with this. Instead they are spending millions on developing gimmicks and novelties such as the falcon doors (which will prove in the long-run to have been an over-engineered mistake and "bioweapon" air filters. Sorry, I don't need bioweapon air filters in suburbia USA. We still have the EPA.

I'm a big Elon/SpaceX/Tesla fanboy, but with the X, someone just spit in my koolaid. So much hype and talk about secret stuff they are developing...ended up being a bunch of snake-oil. Hoping with the Model3 they can get back to the mindset they had when developing the S.

The lack of 110V plugs is really simple. In fact, Elon has basically said why so recently. EM hasn't been on a real vacation in the past few years. He stated the last two times he tried, rockets blew up. Now what does rockets blowing up have to do with lack of electrical outlets in the MX you might ask?

This car is tailored to Spec's EM and family want, so if we are to get electric plugs, EM and family will need to go on vacation in the X and come upon the NEED to plug in devices requiring 110V power. Then, VIOLA.....we get plugs.

So, Elon and family, please take a vacation.

BTW, I love that this actually happens, EM sees a need and powers through (pun intended) a solution, it is limiting and enlightening at the same time.

Last edited:
The lack of 110V plugs is really simple. In fact, Elon has basically said why so recently. EM hasn't been on a real vacation in the past few years. He stated the last two times he tried, rockets blew up. Now what does rockets blowing up have to do with lack of electrical outlets in the MX you might ask?

This car is tailored to Spec's EM and family want, so if we are to get electric plugs, EM and family will need to go on vacation in the X and come upon the NEED to plug in devices requiring 110V power. Then, VIOLA.....we get plugs.

So, Elon and family, please take a vacation.

BTW, I love that this actually happens, EM sees a need and powers through (pun intended) a solution, it is limiting and enlightening at the same time.

This.

And while Elon's at it, can he please get a dog and travel across the country and see how useful those Supercharger stops are without picnic tables next in the vicinity - yet another missed opportunity. Oh, and also - implement the promised "Keep the doggies alive" mode already!

On the S, the jump posts are fused at 50A, so yes, you could pull up to 50A from there. Do not EVER attach anything directly to the battery negative post however, as it contains a current shunt used to regulate proper battery charging.

The best place would be at the DC-DC converter, as this is where the power originates.

On the X, I would assume they have to have a provision for some kind of external jump post, as the doors are all electrically operated. A dead 12v battery would make it difficult to get into the car/frunk, so there is likely some external access.