TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Missed the memo? Slow supercharging close to home?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by GreenT, Jun 29, 2018.

1. GreenT

GreenT Member

Maybe I missed the memo.

So I have been using SCharging for over 5 years all over the country (USA) and close to home.
    Whenever I charge and my battery is below, say, 100 miles I get a charge rate of well over 130.

My home HPWC is temporarily unavailable so I used the nearby Supercharger.

Over 3 times over a week, I noticed that no matter which stall / bay I used at my local charger, my charge rate was at or below 85 yet my (SC) neighbors was well over 100.

Do Tesla now slow you down the closer to home?

I'd sooner ask here than drive 130 miles to the next charger to test it there.

TIA

• Funny x 1
  2. nevrenuf

nevrenuf Member

Not had that experience here. My close to home supercharger gets me over 240/hour regularly.

3. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Miles/hr rate at supercharger is meaningless, as it’s the average of the session. Power in kW is the instantaneous rate. Please report supercharging as kW at a particular state of charge in order for people to respond intelligently.

Note you can’t be getting “well over 130” if you’re talking about kW.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  4. Tesomega

Tesomega Member

You may want to look at the charge curve provided by ABRP to see if this matches your vehicle/SOC charge rate.

5. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

doesn't happen to me. I visit my local supercharger when I end up driving way too much in one day. always hit 98kw (the max in my 75)

6. croman

croman Active Member

105kw is the max in the 350V packs. I've gotten 99kw briefly.

7. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

I mean sure theoretical max, but now you're just splitting hairs. me getting 98kw would not mean by any means my supercharging speed is being throttled. :)

• Like x 1
  8. arcus

arcus Active Member

• Like x 1
  9. GreenT

GreenT Member

No need to be rude.

I just tested it again at lunch. I was referring to kW. It has always been about or over 115 (but I was told today by someone that 115 is peak).
    Before it never went below 100 unless my battery was at 90%.
    Today at 62k with 138 miles. Temp about 90.

Guy next to me was also slower than expected.

Then I discovered a new Supercharger 20 miles from me and needed to run an errand right there. SURPRISE!

Charged there and the same "problem" so I am thinking it's my car. So I'll call Tesla.

10. Tesomega

Tesomega Member

Never ever have seen 100 kW charge rate close to 90% and I am not alone.Did you get a chance to review the link i had shared above from ABRP?

11. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

You're leaving out critical info.

At what state of charge? What rate did you get? 120kw is the theoretical max power a current supercharger can provide. 115kw is real-world max for all intents and purposes.

This is not the case. You are mistaken.

• Like x 1
  12. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Not being rude, it’s just not possible that you were seeing at least 100 kW until 90% charge.

• Like x 3
  13. GreenT

GreenT Member

Did review it and yes, I am going from memory, and 90% was too high an SOC.

I am just concerned that at 44 miles I had 114k, But at 98 miles I was down to 78k. Looking at the graph link, I am at least 10k below norm.
    At 98 miles (40%) I should I not be at 90+k?

14. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

At 40% and 60%, I've seen 114 kW this weekend. Miles means nothing, as that will change for everyone, so, yeah, that's very hard to interpret. One reason people use percentages for range (or at least why I do). This does look like a local (car) issue.

15. TMeister

TMeister Member

Don't forget that a big difference between travel SC charging and "home" SC is that your battery is completely at operating temp on the trip. It's not gonna be close to operating temp even after 20 miles of driving to the home SC. You will likely only get ~60 kW until the battery heats up.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  16. nevrenuf

nevrenuf Member

Very good point.. didn't think of that. I got a rate of 328 mi/hr at a 20% SOC last week but I was coming right off the highway after 200 miles..