Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missed the memo? Slow supercharging close to home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I missed the memo.

So I have been using SCharging for over 5 years all over the country (USA) and close to home.
Whenever I charge and my battery is below, say, 100 miles I get a charge rate of well over 130.

My home HPWC is temporarily unavailable so I used the nearby Supercharger.

Over 3 times over a week, I noticed that no matter which stall / bay I used at my local charger, my charge rate was at or below 85 yet my (SC) neighbors was well over 100.

Do Tesla now slow you down the closer to home?

I'd sooner ask here than drive 130 miles to the next charger to test it there.

TIA

• Funny
Reactions: PaulusdB
Miles/hr rate at supercharger is meaningless, as it’s the average of the session. Power in kW is the instantaneous rate. Please report supercharging as kW at a particular state of charge in order for people to respond intelligently.

Note you can’t be getting “well over 130” if you’re talking about kW.
No need to be rude.

I just tested it again at lunch. I was referring to kW. It has always been about or over 115 (but I was told today by someone that 115 is peak).
Before it never went below 100 unless my battery was at 90%.
Today at 62k with 138 miles. Temp about 90.

Guy next to me was also slower than expected.

Then I discovered a new Supercharger 20 miles from me and needed to run an errand right there. SURPRISE!

Charged there and the same "problem" so I am thinking it's my car. So I'll call Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: whitex and sorka
No need to be rude.

I just tested it again at lunch. I was referring to kW. It has always been about or over 115 (but I was told today by someone that 115 is peak).

Never ever have seen 100 kW charge rate close to 90% and I am not alone.Did you get a chance to review the link i had shared above from ABRP?

You're leaving out critical info.

At what state of charge? What rate did you get? 120kw is the theoretical max power a current supercharger can provide. 115kw is real-world max for all intents and purposes.

This is not the case. You are mistaken.

Reactions: liuping and croman
No need to be rude.

Today at 62k with 138 miles. Temp about 90.

Guy next to me was also slower than expected.

Then I discovered a new Supercharger 20 miles from me and needed to run an errand right there. SURPRISE!

Charged there and the same "problem" so I am thinking it's my car. So I'll call Tesla.
Not being rude, it’s just not possible that you were seeing at least 100 kW until 90% charge.

Did review it and yes, I am going from memory, and 90% was too high an SOC.

I am just concerned that at 44 miles I had 114k, But at 98 miles I was down to 78k. Looking at the graph link, I am at least 10k below norm.
At 98 miles (40%) I should I not be at 90+k?

Don't forget that a big difference between travel SC charging and "home" SC is that your battery is completely at operating temp on the trip. It's not gonna be close to operating temp even after 20 miles of driving to the home SC. You will likely only get ~60 kW until the battery heats up.

Very good point.. didn't think of that. I got a rate of 328 mi/hr at a 20% SOC last week but I was coming right off the highway after 200 miles..

A bump on this thread. I did not see any similar discussions with a quick search.

I had not charged my P85D on a Supercharger recently. I decided to make sure everything worked well with V9 at the Supercharger next to Trader Joes. I was at about 50% SOC, plugged in, made sure charging started, and went in to shop. On the app, my charging power was 43 kW. I was in stall 3B with no car in stall 3A. This seemed curious, so I checked as I finished shopping. The SOC was almost up to 80%, but the charging power had only dropped to 38 kW. To continue the test, I raised the desired charge state to 100% and walked over to REI. When I got back, the SOC was at 90%, and the charge rate had dropped to 26 kW.

This sure looks like charge rate limiting at my local Supercharger. Has anyone else seen this?

Last edited:
A bump on this thread. I did not see any similar discussions with a quick search.

I had not charged my P85D on a Supercharger recently. I decided to make sure everything worked well with V9 at the Supercharger next to Trader Joes. I was at about 50% SOC, plugged in, made sure charging started, and went in to shop. On the app, my charging power was 43 kW. I was in stall 3B with no car in stall 3A. This seemed curious, so I checked as I finished shopping. The SOC was almost up to 80%, but the charging power had only dropped to 38 kW. To continue the test, I raised the desired charge state to 100% and walked over to REI. When I got back, the SOC was at 90%, and the charge rate had dropped to 26 kW.

This sure looks like charge rate limiting at my local Supercharger. Has anyone else seen this?
You of all people know that there are many reasons why superchargers can be slow, either with problems at that particular stall or supercharger cabinet, or site power, or problems with your car. But it has nothing to do with it being a “local” supercharger. That’s just inflammatory with no evidence.

Same pattern as what my car does. It probably ramps up beyond 43 kW to about 60 kW after it warms up, but 38 kW at 90% is what I get.

Locality doesn't matter for me and shouldn't for anyone.

I hardly see rates above 80kw on my 75D. This is after the pack is warm on a decent summer day. It'll peak at 80kw for a few minutes and then it goes straight to 60kw and stays there until it hits 60-70% and starts to trickle down. Is this normal? Are there 75kWh batteries out there that charge at 90kw+ for more than a few minutes?

I read on here that sometimes the connector gets too warm and putting a wet towel on it helps. Any truth in this?