TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Missing 2%

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by mattack4000, Sep 2, 2018.

1. mattack4000

mattack4000 Active Member

I usually don’t pay much attention to it but I noticed the last four times I charge to 90% overnight. When I get in the car in the morning, 2% would magically disappear. Instead of starting a trip at 90, my car is always an 88%er. I know vampire drain is a problem on the Tesla, but what’s with the consistent 2% drain pattern after a charge. There appears to be something different than your typical vampire drain. Anyone have any idea as to what it is. I am just curious

2. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

1-2% is pretty normal. If it drops by roughly 5% the charger will start and bring it back up. That happens very 3 or so days if I don't otherwise touch them.

If you really need 90% for your day, either charge to 93% or delay your charging start to 03:00.

3. mattack4000

I lose the 2% in 5 hours, it’s been consistent too. I just found it steange

4. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

Is your car a 75 or 100? It will be a greater % off a 75.

5. mattack4000

75. When I charge to 90%, it's almost a given that I will end up with 88% starting out. I do remember when I did a long trip, the drain on week 1 was pretty big. The second and third week I barely lost anything. Totally strange. I can see how charging a 12v can drain 2%, but I find it hard to believe I am charging the 12v on a nightly basis. There must be something else that is eating at it

6. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

There are many systems running continuously in the car, even when performing a full power off on the console. Probably upwards of 200 to 300 watts. That will easily produce a 2% drop on a 75 overnight. The same consumption happens on a 100, but the % loss will be less. Remember, if the X is ever totally dead, you will not even be able to open the doors

7. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

this isn't a problem. my laptop will also drop from 100% to 97-98% and stay there after long hours.

• Like x 2
  8. David99

David99 Active Member

I lose an average of 2-3% over a full day. But sometimes it loses more over a few hours and less the rest of the time. It seems random at times. When I go on a trip I usually charge just before I leave to avoid this issue.

It will help to turn off 'always connected' and turn on 'energy saving mode'.

9. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

Remember SOC is an estimate. Current flows used to compute SOC can change based on needs when you read the percentage such as from A/C or heater, etc.