Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing Alerts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ohmman

Upright Member
Global Moderator
Feb 13, 2014
North Bay/Truckee, CA
I believe there was already a thread on this, but I cannot seem to find it. I just want to reiterate that alerts do not always show up. I haven't been able to figure out exactly when or why it skips some notifications, but I know that it does. The ones I usually notice are feedback notifications. It's possible that it is inconsistent only with regard to those. Last night I made a post that received 5 items of feedback overnight. I only had a single alert today about that post.

I do believe they're being logged in my profile, I just don't think the alerts are showing up. It's not a major deal, but definitely appears to be a bug. I definitely wouldn't want to miss alerts about replies to my posts, but as I mentioned, I haven't seen a case where those aren't sent.

Let me know if you'd like more data to track the issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
Way back when (when the site first changed to current format), I mentioned this to admin. They indicated they would look into it, but also pointed out that the comment includes a "there may be more posts after this" disclaimer.

Now having used the site for some time now I have noticed that if you get active replies (especially if you're quoted), the site will notify you. If you receive "likes, disagree, etc..." it tends to notify you once or twice, then stops. If you haven't had a "like, disagree, etc..." for a while (like an ancient post), it will notify you of those. I'm ok with that, because sometimes you may get ALOT of "like, disagree, etc..." and you don't really want you alert box to be filled with those for the same post.

Not sure about how it works with setting up your own thread, although IIRC, over time, the thread will start to stop notifying you about additional posts as well.

As for followed threads, the site seems to keep giving you alerts for the active threads, but tends to drop things off for threads you haven't looked at in a while.

This is what I have observed. Not sure if it means anything.

Way back when (when the site first changed to current format), I mentioned this to admin. They indicated they would look into it, but also pointed out that the comment includes a "there may be more posts after this" disclaimer.

Now having used the site for some time now I have noticed that if you get active replies (especially if you're quoted), the site will notify you. If you receive "likes, disagree, etc..." it tends to notify you once or twice, then stops. If you haven't had a "like, disagree, etc..." for a while (like an ancient post), it will notify you of those. I'm ok with that, because sometimes you may get ALOT of "like, disagree, etc..." and you don't really want you alert box to be filled with those for the same post.

Not sure about how it works with setting up your own thread, although IIRC, over time, the thread will start to stop notifying you about additional posts as well.

As for followed threads, the site seems to keep giving you alerts for the active threads, but tends to drop things off for threads you haven't looked at in a while.

This is what I have observed. Not sure if it means anything.
I use alerts primarily for mentions, feedback, and responses. I have everything else turned off except for alerts about threads in the Moderation section. So I don't get a lot of those other alerts.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
If you receive "likes, disagree, etc..." it tends to notify you once or twice, then stops. If you haven't had a "like, disagree, etc..." for a while (like an ancient post), it will notify you of those. I'm ok with that, because sometimes you may get ALOT of "like, disagree, etc..." and you don't really want you alert box to be filled with those for the same post.

I actually disagree with this.

I would prefer to get alert notifications every time someone leaves feedback (like, helpful, funny, etc.) on any one of my posts. I can skim through those alerts very quickly, and get a feel for how people feel about my posts. If I only get an alert for some of the feedback, which I agree is happening, I'll never know about the additional feedback, as I am unlikely to go back and look at an old post, just to see what feedback it has received. The way I know this is happening is occasionally, when following a thread, I'll scroll and see one of my older posts, and see a lot more feedback on it than I received alerts for.

If there is a large group of TMC users who prefer some, but not all, feedback alerts, perhaps that could be user-selectable. But I think the default, if one has chosen to receive those alerts, should be to receive all of them and not some subset of them.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo and ohmman
I actually disagree with this.

I would prefer to get alert notifications every time someone leaves feedback (like, helpful, funny, etc.) on any one of my posts. I can skim through those alerts very quickly, and get a feel for how people feel about my posts. If I only get an alert for some of the feedback, which I agree is happening, I'll never know about the additional feedback, as I am unlikely to go back and look at an old post, just to see what feedback it has received. The way I know this is happening is occasionally, when following a thread, I'll scroll and see one of my older posts, and see a lot more feedback on it than I received alerts for.

If there is a large group of TMC users who prefer some, but not all, feedback alerts, perhaps that could be user-selectable. But I think the default, if one has chosen to receive those alerts, should be to receive all of them and not some subset of them.

I think @danny had hinted at this when he quipped about the investor section "breaking the algorithm" so to speak, regarding the "Best Posts" section. Sometimes a post on there can get 30+ "like, disagree, etc..." within the day or even a few hours (Those guys are crazy!;))

With regard to other section posts I agree it is useful to see all the feedback. But seeing how many of those posts in the investor section get those kind of feedback I understand why the system will just crap out.

At this point I've made my peace with it, but that being said, I'm not a mod or anything...