Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing "Apply Brakes When Regenerative Braking Is Limited" on 2017 Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am now running version 2022.44.25.5 and am still not seeing this option available to me.

The release notes from notateslaapp.com indicate that it should be available on all models of cars, and I *thought* I saw it in my car's own release notes at one time, but I just checked and don't see this option mentioned. So now I'm wondering if I was just mistaken and my car is too old for this feature? I know I'll never see the "Hold" option (Creep/roll/hold) but I was hopeful that this feature didn't rely upon the more up-to-date motors since they are specifically using the brakes.

Mine is a 2017 Model X with the updated FSD computer and MCU 2 along with the latest cameras.

In these colder months, unless I extensively preheat the car before leaving, I have a significant restriction on my regenerative braking for the first 40 or so minutes of driving. Which basically means most of my driving time.

I always keep the energy meter showing in my instrument cluster when driving so I can predict when and how much I'm going to need to compensate for this loss of regenerative ability so I was really looking forward to this enhancement.

Are other people with older Model X's seeing this option or am I out of luck?

Last edited:
I am now running version 2022.44.25.5 and am still not seeing this option available to me.

The release notes from notateslaapp.com indicate that it should be available on all models of cars, and I *thought* I saw it in my car's own release notes at one time, but I just checked and don't see this option mentioned. So now I'm wondering if I was just mistaken and my car is too old for this feature? I know I'll never see the "Hold" option (Creep/roll/hold) but I was hopeful that this feature didn't rely upon the more up-to-date motors since they are specifically using the brakes.

Mine is a 2017 Model X with the updated FSD computer and MCU 2 along with the latest cameras.

In these colder months, unless I extensively preheat the car before leaving, I have a significant restriction on my regenerative braking for the first 40 or so minutes of driving. Which basically means most of my driving time.

I always keep the energy meter showing in my instrument cluster when driving so I can predict when and how much I'm going to need to compensate for this loss of regenerative ability so I was really looking forward to this enhancement.

I'd bet you are out of luck. I suspect (because I don't really know) it requires a vehicle that supports one-pedal driving, which was not offered until vehicles with a permanent magnet motor (Raven models) became available, I believe in 2019. It is on the Pedals and Steering page in settings.

• Helpful
Reactions: EbS-P and scottf200

I'd bet you are out of luck. I suspect (because I don't really know) it requires a vehicle that supports one-pedal driving, which was not offered until vehicles with a permanent magnet motor (Raven models) became available, I believe in 2019. It is on the Pedals and Steering page in settings.

@EagleOne , I have a June 2017 X 100D and it is the same for me. If you look at your 'additional vehicle information' (software page in car)
you'll see your motor types (induction). I think @DCGOO is correct.

Test suggestion 1: I *think* people may have tried to warm up their battery before they left (? minutes) by putting in the nearest supercharger to get it to preheat. This may depend on how far away yours is.

Test suggestion 2: OR better yet, just try to have your car finish charging 30 (?) minutes before you leave ... or charge overnight and then set SOC% charge level up 1+% and charge it 30 (?) minutes before you leave ... all this to warm your battery.

nfbKEwH.jpg

D4LVNcY.jpg

I have a March 2018 X with the same software, and it is not there. I believe it is because of the motor type. I have found if I preheat the cabin 10-15 minutes before departure, it uses less than 1% of the battery but then I get a lot more regen when starting out.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
@EagleOne , I have a June 2017 X 100D and it is the same for me. If you look at your 'additional vehicle information' (software page in car)
you'll see your motor types (induction). I think @DCGOO is correct.

Test suggestion 1: I *think* people may have tried to warm up their battery before they left (? minutes) by putting in the nearest supercharger to get it to preheat. This may depend on how far away yours is.

Test suggestion 2: OR better yet, just try to have your car finish charging 30 (?) minutes before you leave ... or charge overnight and then set SOC% charge level up 1+% and charge it 30 (?) minutes before you leave ... all this to warm your battery.
The battery also warms if you just turn on Climate. Although it doesn't take long for the cabin to heat up, the battery is somewhat longer. If it is bitter cold I usually turn it on for an hour or two before leaving. It really helps to reduce energy consumption on their initial drive.

Wondering if anyone has updated information here.
I have a 2019 MS SR Raven (confirmed with permanent magnet motor in menus) yet I still do not have this "Apply brakes when regenerative braking is limited" option.
It's really unfortunate bc during the winter (NY) my regen is limited severely any time the temperature is below 40-45 F.
I have this on my '22 Model Y and that consistency of one pedal regardless of battery state is so key.

Any reason why cars with one-pedal capabilities didn't get this option? Or others having a different experience with this option and similar build?