TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Missing Autopilot hardware in non EAP car?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by speedy, Sep 21, 2017.

1. speedy

speedy Member

I just took delivery of an S75, built in early September, with the APH3 option. I did not purchase the EAP option but thought that all the hardware would be present and it would only be an OTA software flag when I was ready to pull the trigger. However, upon examing the car, I seem to be missing some hardware.

My understanding is that AP2.0 has a front radar, 3 forward cameras, 2 forward facing side cameras, 2 backward facing side cameras, the backup camera, and 6 ultrasonic sensors each on the front and rear bumper. I seem to be missing the radar, and the 2 backward facing side cameras. I do not see any radar unit in the lower front grill and there is only one forward facing side camera in the B pillar.

Does this mean that if/when I purchase the EAP option at a later date, they will have to retrofit the radar and the backward facing side cameras? Does that mean AEB and CDW (which my car is supposed to have when not disabled by Tesla) doesn't use the radar at all and just the cameras? This also explains why the blind spot detection is so bad as it only uses the ultrasonic sensors on the rear bumper, not a camera. Can folks that have purchased EAP confirm the location of the radar and the backward facing side cameras?

2. _jal_

_jal_ Member

The radar is behind the nose/grill thing but the rearward facing cameras are in the repeaters

3. kdday

kdday Member

Radar is hidden, can't see it.

Rear facing side cameras are just behind the front wheel well on the Chrome turn signal. You have them.

4. tpham07

tpham07 Member

nobody can see the radar. as stated above, the rear facing cameras are in the chrome turn signal near your wheels.

5. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

@_jal_ and @kdday - you should both be banned for aborting the stillborn comedy child of what could have become the greatest thread in TMC's history if you had only chosen not to play it straight.

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

If by "APH3" you mean "Auto Pilot Hardware version 3", then I don't know what you are talking about.

Your description of the "AP2.0" hardware is correct. The two responses you received are correct. That is the Auto Pilot hardware suite in current vehicles, and it has been in production for over a year now in the S and the X.

The Model 3 has the same hardware plus a camera in the rear view mirror mount, facing to the rear. The S and X do not have that particular camera, as far as I know.

7. speedy

speedy Member

Gotcha.. I did notice the cameras in the turn signals before, but for some reason forgot about them! Hmm, wonder why this new radar can be hidden while the old one was exposed...

8. speedy

speedy Member

No, I meant the option code in my Vehicle Specs URL when it was being built. It started out as APH2 and sometime before production started, it changed to APH3. I guess no one really knows what it means in terms of AP hardware changes...

9. speedy

speedy Member

Ahhh, you're making fun of my senior moment... at least for forgetting the turn signal cameras... :)

• Funny x 1
  10. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Hiding of the radar came in the facelift and the Model X design. Previous nosecone and mesh grill did not leave an unobstructed space for radar. The new design has large flat sections of bumper which are ideal for radar to pass through.

11. _jal_

_jal_ Member

I'm still reeling from my trip to the snippiness thread :eek:

• Funny x 2