Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing cam footage / someone reversed into my M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I parked up to grab a quick McDonald’s yesterday (first mistake I guess), and my wife soon called me to say that someone had managed to reverse their car into the back of mine (this was on a side street). He had around a metre of space in front and behind of him, so he clearly wasn’t looking in his mirrors. He blamed me by saying I wasn’t parked there when he had parked there, no sorry or anything. Now when I looked at the footage, it only included the moment I parked up, and then when my wife and him were inspecting the damage, nothing from the moment of impact. Sentry was on, and when the incident happened my wife was busy entertaining my niece with YouTube. Does the camera not record when apps are being used? Would it have worked had she honked the horn? Also I was able to view the footage last night but now I’ve taken the USB drive to my PC that whole hour of footage has gone missing, so I feel like a complete idiot for not at least filming it on my phone while I viewed it in my car. Is there any where I can try to find the footage?

As for the damage thankfully it’s relatively minimal. But I’m still quite upset as I’ve only had my car a month. There’s a small 2cm scratch, and a larger 20cm hairline mark that’s slightly dark (you can kind of see it in the first picture about 1/3 of the way down the bumper). Should I take this to insurance? I’m really confused on what I should do. Apparently he hit me quite hard, my 2 and a half year old niece even complained about it bless her. Will there be any damage underneath the scratches that’s not visible?

Attachments

• C10A5B52-6CA4-413A-8F39-E83D621076AF.jpeg
    C10A5B52-6CA4-413A-8F39-E83D621076AF.jpeg
    280.5 KB · Views: 100
  • ECEB85B0-FB8C-4F10-AD3D-1D30E15D411B.jpeg
    ECEB85B0-FB8C-4F10-AD3D-1D30E15D411B.jpeg
    302.1 KB · Views: 56
Sentry does not operate when there is someone in the car and the only place it records is on the SD card so if it is not in any of the folders on there then it does not exist I'm afraid. As to why it is not there I'm afraid I cant help you with that. Not sure what it records when you are sitting in the car parked.

Reactions: Durzel
Are we sure there’s no internal memory in the car at all? I know you can download TIDAL songs to the car, I’m sure I heard 60GB worth mentioned, which implies there is somewhere to save stuff on to.

Tesla website mentions “USB drive or onboard memory” for dashcam:

Perhaps the clip you viewed is still in the car?

As said above Sentry wouldn’t be active if the car was unlocked, even if the icon is on.

Are we sure there’s no internal memory in the car at all? I know you can download TIDAL songs to the car, I’m sure I heard 60GB worth mentioned, which implies there is somewhere to save stuff on to.

Tesla website mentions “USB drive or onboard memory” for dashcam:

Perhaps the clip you viewed is still in the car?

As said above Sentry wouldn’t be active if the car was unlocked, even if the icon is on.
I couldn’t find it this morning whilst the drive was in the car, so I took it to the PC as a last resort. I guess l need to be more prepared next time.

Sorry to hear this ☹️. Sentry operates when the car is in park, is locked and battery is at least 20% charged. Dashcam would be running and recording when the car is powered on. Whilst the dashcam footage overwrites itself in 60min cycles, if Save on Honk is enabled, it would’ve saved the most recent 10mins of dashcam footage.

Check the dashcam footage; there’s a chance it could still be there.