Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing ECU/Charge Port Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Fam... I'm new to the forum and new to Tesla cars (Already a solar customer). I stumbled across this blog now that I am waiting on my M3P. Ordered 3/26, VIN assigned 5/21. It's at the SC and I received an email 5/28 asking for approval on a $0 invoice for the charge port ECU work. I've been so excited waiting to schedule the delivery date that I hadn't even been following this issue. My silly brain thought that once it left the Tesla factory, it was complete!

Like others, I financed through my credit union and so now, Tesla has all the money for the car and I will soon be preparing for the first payment on the loan for a vehicle I don't yet have. I even paid my first month's insurance on the off chance Tesla called me over the long holiday weekend. Needless to say, I'm fixing that as soon as the office opens tomorrow.

Now that I see the stories here, I'm curious what the invoice even means. I haven't seen it in any of the comments but has anyone received / approved the invoice like me? How long have you been waiting since the invoice? Does the invoice mean they have the part or does it mean absolutely nothing and I need to prepare for the wait?

Thanks for the discussion. This is awesome to know I'm not alone.
You technically own the car. Any work in it needs to be approved by you first, hence the invoice.

Reactions: NNM3
Hey Fam... I'm new to the forum and new to Tesla cars (Already a solar customer). I stumbled across this blog now that I am waiting on my M3P. Ordered 3/26, VIN assigned 5/21. It's at the SC and I received an email 5/28 asking for approval on a $0 invoice for the charge port ECU work. I've been so excited waiting to schedule the delivery date that I hadn't even been following this issue. My silly brain thought that once it left the Tesla factory, it was complete!

Like others, I financed through my credit union and so now, Tesla has all the money for the car and I will soon be preparing for the first payment on the loan for a vehicle I don't yet have. I even paid my first month's insurance on the off chance Tesla called me over the long holiday weekend. Needless to say, I'm fixing that as soon as the office opens tomorrow.

Now that I see the stories here, I'm curious what the invoice even means. I haven't seen it in any of the comments but has anyone received / approved the invoice like me? How long have you been waiting since the invoice? Does the invoice mean they have the part or does it mean absolutely nothing and I need to prepare for the wait?

Thanks for the discussion. This is awesome to know I'm not alone.
Excellent!

Reactions: Teleezen
Just wanted to report back that today is 3 weeks that my car has been sitting at the SC awaiting the charge port ECU BUT I received a call last night and I'm scheduled for a June 2nd delivery.
Congrats!

It seems that a lot of us are waiting for Model 3 Performances. Maybe Tesla is ironically messing with those of us who can't wait an extra 1.1 seconds to get to 60.

Just wanted to report back that today is 3 weeks that my car has been sitting at the SC awaiting the charge port ECU BUT I received a call last night and I'm scheduled for a June 2nd delivery.
Congratulations!!!

Can you please let me know in which state you are taking the delivery? Mine has been sitting at the SC for One month now. It’s in the Northern Virginia region.

Thanks for giving some much needed hope to this member of the Effed in Florida club!!!

That car looks a lot like the one that's been waiting for me in Orlando for three weeks. Hope it's not too much longer...

This ECU delay ruined a trip to see family in the UK for me, because I can't leave the US in case the car suddenly becomes ready for collection. And I've been relying on rental cars for four months. What a pain this has all been.
My VIN is 240XXX, assigned on Apr 24.

Since then, I have been waiting for the charge port ECU part/ retrofit. Numerous calls to Tesla have only resulted in vague information and still no concrete date for the arrival of parts or delivery of car.

Pretty annoying and frustrating, especially considering that the initial wait was Sep 2021 to Apr 2022 (for the VIN) and then for the charge port ECU.
You technically own the car. Any work in it needs to be approved by you first, hence the invoice.
Did you also get such an invoice with $0 for the retrofit of the charge port ECU?

Since then, I have been waiting for the charge port ECU part/ retrofit. Numerous calls to Tesla have only resulted in vague information and still no concrete date for the arrival of parts or delivery of car.

Pretty annoying and frustrating, especially considering that the initial wait was Sep 2021 to Apr 2022 (for the VIN) and then for the charge port ECU.

Did you also get such an invoice with $0 for the retrofit of the charge port ECU?
I did not as I didn't take ownership of the car yet.

Aren't most of us in the same situation as @ TCM3P (Paid for the cars via financing and still waiting for deliveries as the vehicles arent ready as yet due to charge port ECU hold)?

I am kinda confused with this invoice issue and seemingly more delay on ours as we dont have any invoice whatsoever still from Tesla
Not sure. The guy said he already financed the loan and was making payments on it. And insurance.

That's the only situation I was responding too.

That is a very long wait. I'm guessing you've got a Model Y coming.

My VIN is 239XXX for a Model 3 Performance.

I've spoken to the Orlando service center three times since the ECU delay started three weeks ago for me. They will always call me back rather than text back (presumably to avoid admitting the problem in writing). They've told me it's the "charge port" each time. I was first told "maybe one to two weeks" three weeks ago. When I went into the SC on the afternoon of Monday 5/23 (a week ago today), the guy told me that the "unofficial" word was that Florida SCs would be getting a bulk delivery of chips in a couple of days. If that happened, then I didn't benefit from it. I was then given a rough estimate of 5 to 7 days when I spoke to the SC by phone on Thursday 5/26. Who the heck knows.

Just got a "schedule delivery" text and email for my ECU-less car. Car was built Apr 24 and has been waiting at delivery center since probably may 9 (that's when I got my first 4 day EDD which has been moving ahead by 1 day every day since then).

When I followed the link it said no appointments available and to check tomorrow and that SA will call me.

Don't lose hope ECU-less ppl, it's (probably) coming soon.

Just got a "schedule delivery" text and email for my ECU-less car. Car was built Apr 24 and has been waiting at delivery center since probably may 9 (that's when I got my first 4 day EDD which has been moving ahead by 1 day every day since then).

When I followed the link it said no appointments available and to check tomorrow and that SA will call me.

Don't lose hope ECU-less ppl, it's (probably) coming soon.
Wow - if it’s not one thing it’s another thing holding you back from taking delivery of the car. Good luck!

Not sure. The guy said he already financed the loan and was making payments on it. And insurance.

That's the only situation I was responding too.
I‘ve sent Tesla the money but I have not taken delivery or accepted the vehicle yet. It’s paid for in Tesla’s eyes but I have not officially taken ownership of it yet. Have not seen it or anything, which is why the invoice caught me by surprise. However, I’m glad I did get the invoice because that’s the only way I became aware of the Charge Port ECU issue.

Reactions: NNM3 and rudythecar
I‘ve sent Tesla the money but I have not taken delivery or accepted the vehicle yet. It’s paid for in Tesla’s eyes but I have not officially taken ownership of it yet. Have not seen it or anything, which is why the invoice caught me by surprise. However, I’m glad I did get the invoice because that’s the only way I became aware of the Charge Port ECU issue.
Oh gotcha.

Maybe this is their way of notifying customers of the issue. Probably a better way than not telling customers anything and having the customer in the dark until they call customer service (which can still leave us in the dark)

Reactions: NNM3
welcome to the charge port ECU waiting room. There’s a handful of us FL folks who have placed orders early this year and late last year who's cars are just sitting at SCs waiting for the charge port control units. I’m waiting for delivery in Tampa as well. @canasion35 has been doing the lords work keeping us all updated on the debacle. Tesla had been very inconsistent with the info they are giving us in regards to updates on this matter. According to some recent posts around here, there may be some light at the end of the tunnel, however. Maybe I’ll see you on delivery day lol.
Thank you and thanks to everyone for their comments. I suppose it's group therapy. Like you I would sure rather have the car. So everyone can see my timeline: it's a white long range 3 ordered on Dec 15, 2021. It's very annoying that Tesla called me on April 28 and basically said get ready for delivery. Naturally I arranged for the money and insured the car. I was able to retroactively uninsure (Progressive) the car so at least I got the insurance back. I've had a couple of trips planned and have a notorized power of attorney for a friend in case I'm not around when the miracle finally occurs.