Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

missing hitch receiver key (little red key). Ideas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David.85D

Oct 29, 2016
USA
picked up a Bosal hitch (with removable receiver) from a breaker yard to play with. Not sure what exactly I will do with it just yet. Hopefully something awesome!

It is missing its "little red key". Anyone know of a source? Does anyone know if they are unique to the vehicle or will any one key fit any hitch? Anyone tried to get one copied at a locksmith?

spent some more time looking and found some good leads. Bosal sells replacement keys out of the UK.
The keys and lock cylinder are numbered, there are a few hundred possible key numbers (001 to 200).

Lost and Spare Keys
Good to know that now that this is included with the X, everyone can't unlock the hitches! :D. (Only one in 200... hm....)

picked up a Bosal hitch (with removable receiver) from a breaker yard to play with. Not sure what exactly I will do with it just yet. Hopefully something awesome!

It is missing its "little red key". Anyone know of a source? Does anyone know if they are unique to the vehicle or will any one key fit any hitch? Anyone tried to get one copied at a locksmith?
FWIW, it's an easy lock for a locksmith. Probably won't have a blank with the red knob, but It shouldn't matter.

I did. The hitch manufacturer will send you one from the UK. Have to pay by bank transfer which was hard for me to arrange. And had to have a friend in the UK forward it.

But frankly, I would push service to fix it. Should be their problem.

I didn’t. Got the key from the hitch manufacturer in the UK. It was a bit of a pain. They only ship within the UK, so had to find a friend of a friend to forward it.

My comment above is that it is something expected with a car. The owner didn’t loose the key, they delivered his CPO with no key. That should be Tesla’s problem to fix.

Last edited: