Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing my ICE car. . .

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure I'm in a vast minority, and I love my 3P+, but I really miss my convertible V-8 stick shift Camaro. Against my better judgment, I sold it because wifey insisted I couldn't have both. I'm going through serious withdrawls of rowing through gears, dropping the top, the heated/ventilated seats, heads up display, android auto, magnetic ride control, rumble of the exhaust, etc. I still giggle when I floor the 3, but the senses aren't stimulated the same. I don't post this to anger anyone (this is a tough crowd and fiercely defensive of their cars), just venting I guess.

Words that have never been said.

Do you miss filling up with finite dinosaur fuel and then polluting the roads and air we all breathe with toxic carbon monoxide?

Because I don't.

And I only listen to music when I drive. It's a concert in my car all the time. Could care less for exhaust notes as they are the sound of pollution and try hards. I use to like exhausts but not no more. Can easily do without them. And I do!

Now I wouldn't mind a sound maker which emits futuristic whining sounds like the Taycan or the OG Fisker Karma or for the people that love their "exhaust notes" emit the sounds of a ferrari or lambo to troll

Words that have never been said.
Plenty of us say it. We just get drowned out by the proselytizers like yourself.

Sometimes I want a quiet glide across the road. Sometimes I want to enjoy the mechanical symphony of the motor and transmission working in concert.

To the OP, grab the car back if you can. Because these cars are being regulated out of existence. In Europe where we are the environmental tip of the spear, in addition to higher petrol prices, combustion cars are taxed on horsepower output, and other measures that deaden the sound (exhaust filters) and the fun (manual transmissions and N/A motors).

Yeah, in hindsight I would have bought the SR+ and kept the Camaro, one for fun and one for practical stuff, but garage space and wife nag factor got the best of me. Plus, she wouldn't share her 3, so I "had" to buy my own. They won't be making V-8 stick shifts anymore, with the new Vette going auto, I think its a sign of the times.

Sometimes I want to enjoy the mechanical symphony of the motor and transmission working in concert.
** For some definition of "working in concert". ;)

Here's an artist's interpretation of me missing driving ICE vehicles.

giphy-8.gif

I suppose there is something to them in that you don't need to find as challenging a road to still have "things to do". I very much do not miss the noise distraction, though.

I miss the Honda Fit. Actually still have it, just don't drive it because emissions. It sounds insane, but it handles so much better. It's light, flicky, and only lacks power on slopes greater than 1 degree!

I miss the Honda Crosstour. I took that thing everywhere. Never thought about a route I couldn't go because I might not make it. I genuinely can't go places I used to. And I miss paddle shifters. It's just fun.

I miss the smart car. It was a terrible car. It was a quirky car. It had so many noises. It ate though headlight bulbs. It was great.

I miss the Mazda 626 V6. It was my first car. It was fine. It was old and tired. It took me many places I can't go today. Also, when the exhaust rusted right off, it actually sounded amazing.

We all have different reasons, but we get attached to the things we had before. They might be "bad", but it's my bad. The smart car wouldn't be so fun to manually shift if it didn't suck at shifting in automatic in the first place. The Fit wouldn't be so nimble and effortless if it had a battery pack under it. The Crosstour was my ultimate old man car that I could take anywhere, even offroad, and had plenty of power.

I like the Model 3, and I also like all my old cars.

my original plan was to pay off the Camaro, (which I did) and lease an EV, since I know the tech will get better and better (which it will). Unfortunately, I got "upgrade-itis" and HAD to have the best (Performance). Sunday drives with wife and daughter with the top down were epic, now the person in the backseat always gets nauseous, so we don't really go for drives anymore. I sold the rare car to buy the mass produced car that will depreciate as technology passes it up, while the old car will be a collector, and not easy to replace. I just need unlimited funds and more garage space, and everything will be OK :)

Reactions: afadeev and Ugene
I miss the much more comfortable and cooled seats from my previous car, and the ability to put down the roof. That's about it.

The fact that Tesla seems totally content to give us the interior amenities and luxury of a Corolla across their product range saddens me.
Funny enough, even a Toyota Corolla has a sunroof option! So not even luxury of a Corolla?

I completely forgot my Crosstour had a sunroof. I miss that too. The airflow is just... gentler?

This "glass roof" thing I'm no stranger to. My smart car had it too! :p

That's cool. Nothing wrong with missing certain aspects of the driving experience.

I still have my 1996 diesel F250 for hauling big stuff around, and honestly, half of my tool collection was procured just to tinker with that truck and keep it running. It's an experience climbing into that truck and hoping it'll start up without incident :D

Reactions: APotatoGod
There are aspects of ICE to be missed for sure. I wonder how long it will take driving with 1-pedal to lose the heel-toe instinct?

Still on days where the nostalgia gets too much for me there are tracks where you can rent one (recently did). Just like there are steam train outings and warbird airshows (which we have planned for later this year).

Reactions: New_Old_Stock