Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing my ICE car. . .

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a car enthusiast - not an EV enthusiast. My P3D is stupid fast, while insanely practical. You simply cannot beat the cost/performance/practically ratio.

But I don’t get people who say “I never used to like driving until I got a Model 3!” Those people have been driving the wrong cars their entire lives. Yes it’s a fantastic car... but a property sorted sports car feels like you’re wearing it - not driving it. I miss my Miata. Jinba ittai bitches.

I’m a car enthusiast - not an EV enthusiast. My P3D is stupid fast, while insanely practical. You simply cannot beat the cost/performance/practically ratio.

But I don’t get people who say “I never used to like driving until I got a Model 3!” Those people have been driving the wrong cars their entire lives. Yes it’s a fantastic car... but a property sorted sports car feels like you’re wearing it - not driving it. I miss my Miata. Jinba ittai bitches.

Glad you put a real driver's car but among the fantastic things about the Miata is that one can afford to have both - my Sti didn't allow that

Glad you put a real driver's car but among the fantastic things about the Miata is that one can afford to have both - my Sti didn't allow that
Yeah mine was $3,000 before upgrades, and between it and my BMW, I ended up driving it 90% of the time. Never had a single issue with it. Except that time I tried to go into 6th blasting away from a toll booth... reverse was never quite the same.

Also the STI is one of the saddest reminders of what’s happened to cars-that-used-to-be. Ever since they killed the Evo, it’s become this weird dead-man-walking sort-of relic that just needs to be taken out back and shot in the face. It’s like an ‘05 trapped in a god-awful safety-compliant modern body that’s completely ruined all cars. In some strange way, the TM3’s styling, with its simple lines and low dash, somehow reminds me more of “older” cars than a lot of new cars (that are also about as computerized as itself).

The good news is that our idiot regulatory overlords have accidentally opened an entirely new chapter in high-performance cars... and we’re just getting started.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Arctic_White
I came from a 2018 Camaro V8 stick shift. But I needed the 4 doors and wanted the safety / automated features which the Camaro had none of. I loved it and it was hard to give up, and I swore I'd never get an auto, but the Model 3 isn't an auto. It's a single speed torque monster. It's exciting in its own way, and certainly no where near as boring as the typical auto ICE. And the regenerative braking mimics the downshift action in a stick which I enjoyed. I rowed gears for 13 years and loved every bit of it, but I don't miss it in the Model 3.

• Informative
I drive my Model 3 with two feet. Because I'm old and running out of time. ;) I expect that'd keep your brain engaged enough to not really lose much of dancing on 3 pedals, that it'd come back pretty quick.
I drove a v8supercar recently and it was all still there...in fact the instructor kept telling me to stand on the brake and not blip on downshift and it was a mistake I kept making!

But in the EV I seriously feel like a traitor when I use the other pedal. I used the friction brake 4 times descending a mountain range the other weekend and still feel like I've let everyone down. :( Sorry everyone.

I "might" have pushed some legal limits on the way home tonight, the performance (of my Performance) 3 is undeniable, but yes, having the best of all worlds is preferred when finances and space permit. I guess I could rent droptop a few times a month with the gas money I'm saving. .

But in the EV I seriously feel like a traitor when I use the other pedal. I used the friction brake 4 times descending a mountain range the other weekend and still feel like I've let everyone down. :( Sorry everyone.
This is a thing? :eek: Oh oh! :oops:

I went through that stage, I thought it was just because I started in a Bolt. Now that’s only for when I’m mildly concerned about range.

Or that one time I melted my brake pads & drove without touching the brakes for days until I got the discs turned. Because of the horrible sound it made I was concerned about causing further damage. Had to drive a lot slower, plan way further ahead. Also this was before Hold so to come to a stop downslope I had to shift to R while moving forward and feather the accelerator to stop.

I'm sure I'm in a vast minority

Minority - most likely, but you are not alone.

While I do enjoy the stupid fast EV acceleration, there are plenty of things I miss about my previous ICE car: silent interior, lots of quality of life features and most of all, overall build quality.

Would I go back? Absolutely! Just waiting for the right time to do it.

Yep, I understand. I just sold my 600hp stick-shift Shelby in April to make garage space for the Tesla. Both cars run the same 11.5x at the local dragstrip, but the Shelby invoked all the senses... big raunchy lopey idle, lots of glam, the big pops and crackles on the downshifts, etc. I don't regret the decision at all, and will admit my stealth is actually quicker than the Shelby, on average, since it is always in it's powerband, but the supercharged MT V8 was a total hoot. I will be sentimental about that car always... there will always be

Yup same here. Model 3 is a great daily driver, but you can't beat a stick shift and the sounds of a good exhaust
Right!

767f70aa824bfd19e733242b.jpg

I can see why some may miss the noise and manual transmission. It has been ingrained in our psyche (pavlov's dog style) that loud throaty motors mean power and performance.

I drove manual transmissions for years, created some very powerful engines, smelled like gasoline, lost some hearing. Now I am re-training my brain to separate noise and performance.

However, there are people that still enjoy riding horses, driving steam engine tractors, working on carburetors, etc... it's all for the love of art and nostalgia. Nothing wrong with that. Goodwood festival of speed is a great example of enjoying the history of the automobile.

Driving a current ICE high performance vehicle gives much of the viseral and emotional feedback as a first person shooter video game.

Little is really enhance by all that noise and thrashing, but the driver gets a pseudo feeling that they are accomplishing something important.

So are enjoyment and entertainment not valid pursuits in their own right? Is playing video games more pointless than watching movies, going to the theater, listening to concerts?

What is so noble and accomplished from you driving to the AARP in your Model X?