Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing reservoir cap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,
Just took delivery of model x and noticed something is missing.
Has anyone ever opened the front trunk rear plastic cover near the windshield wipers?
I have a cap missing on a reservoir of some kind with fluid in it.
Does anybody know what that reservoir is for and what the cap should look like.

Attachments

• 20170105_225447.jpg
    20170105_225447.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 218
  • 20170105_222749.jpg
    20170105_222749.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 179
I don't think that's a reservoir. I think that's where one of the cover's 'prongs' goes. There should be a few of these "slots" on the top (windshield side) and bottom (front of car). Hover the top cover and verify that the prongs slide into these holes.

The things I'm aware of that are back there are battery coolant and brake fluid. So it's gotta be one of those... In either case, call your SC right away, and possibly put some sort of makeshift cap on it now.

Thanks for the reply!
Brake fluid has a cap, it's on the driver's side, so it must be battery coolant. I already put bubble wrap on top (couldn't really find anything else), so hoping tesla will reach out about this. People should check theirs, might be missing a cap as well.

Thanks for the reply!
Brake fluid has a cap, it's on the driver's side, so it must be battery coolant. I already put bubble wrap on top (couldn't really find anything else), so hoping tesla will reach out about this. People should check theirs, might be missing a cap as well.
I would hesitate to seal that off before talking to service; what if it is a vent?

Only other possiblity would be washer fluid, but IIRC that is in the frunk, right?
Thanks a bunch for the photos! It's definitely coolant. I'll contact a service center to see if they could send me a cap.
Looks like it supposed to be under pressure too.

You might need more coolant too, so you might need to make the trip to the SC. I didn't see any in your picture, but outie's seems full.

Sorry, I was going by the first picture that was posted in this thread with a red arrow. A later photo clearly shows a reservoir without a cap. If it's not under pressure, then a make-shift cap should be sufficient. You could probably buy a replacement cap at pep-boys if one is near by (or closer than SC).

I would avoid filling it up, since you don't know what kind of coolant the battery requires. You may contaminate the reservoir and the whole thing would have to be flushed and refilled.

Sorry, I was going by the first picture that was posted in this thread with a red arrow. A later photo clearly shows a reservoir without a cap. If it's not under pressure, then a make-shift cap should be sufficient. You could probably buy a replacement cap at pep-boys if one is near by (or closer than SC).

I would avoid filling it up, since you don't know what kind of coolant the battery requires. You may contaminate the reservoir and the whole thing would have to be flushed and refilled.

The cap is a pressure cap with a 35 kPa (~5 psi) pressure warning on it. I suspect that won't be an issue in the cold weather unless you Supercharge or drive very, very quickly/aggressively, but I'm not 100% sure.