TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Missing reservoir cap

Discussion in 'Model X' started by sladotron, Jan 5, 2017.

1. sladotron

sladotron Member

Hello all,
    Just took delivery of model x and noticed something is missing.
    Has anyone ever opened the front trunk rear plastic cover near the windshield wipers?
    I have a cap missing on a reservoir of some kind with fluid in it.
    Does anybody know what that reservoir is for and what the cap should look like.

Attached Files:

2. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

I don't think that's a reservoir. I think that's where one of the cover's 'prongs' goes. There should be a few of these "slots" on the top (windshield side) and bottom (front of car). Hover the top cover and verify that the prongs slide into these holes.

3. sladotron

sladotron Member

No, it's definitely a clear plastic reservoir with some kind of fluid in it and the top portion of the reservoir has threads for a cap to screw onto.

Attached Files:

4. PedanticOne

PedanticOne MyTesla Refresh Champion

The things I'm aware of that are back there are battery coolant and brake fluid. So it's gotta be one of those... In either case, call your SC right away, and possibly put some sort of makeshift cap on it now.

5. sladotron

sladotron Member

Thanks for the reply!
    Brake fluid has a cap, it's on the driver's side, so it must be battery coolant. I already put bubble wrap on top (couldn't really find anything else), so hoping tesla will reach out about this. People should check theirs, might be missing a cap as well.

6. AB4EJ

AB4EJ Member

I would hesitate to seal that off before talking to service; what if it is a vent?

7. PedanticOne

#7 PedanticOne, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    It's got a screw-top opening with a max fill line. It wants a cap, methinks. I'd be too paranoid about dust/dirt getting in there. Best to call the SC before you do anything, probably.

8. outie

outie Active Member

#8 outie, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    That's not for the "prongs" of the top cover :confused:

I just went to take some pics for you.
    IMG_5457.JPG IMG_9769.JPG

9. sladotron

sladotron Member

Thanks a bunch for the photos! It's definitely coolant. I'll contact a service center to see if they could send me a cap.
    Looks like it supposed to be under pressure too.

10. PedanticOne

Only other possiblity would be washer fluid, but IIRC that is in the frunk, right?
    You might need more coolant too, so you might need to make the trip to the SC. I didn't see any in your picture, but outie's seems full.

11. sladotron

sladotron Member

The washer fluid is on the driver's side, but this is on passenger side.

It is a good point about fluid level. There is some fluid inside, but some might have spilled out.

12. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Sorry, I was going by the first picture that was posted in this thread with a red arrow. A later photo clearly shows a reservoir without a cap. If it's not under pressure, then a make-shift cap should be sufficient. You could probably buy a replacement cap at pep-boys if one is near by (or closer than SC).

I would avoid filling it up, since you don't know what kind of coolant the battery requires. You may contaminate the reservoir and the whole thing would have to be flushed and refilled.

13. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

The cap is a pressure cap with a 35 kPa (~5 psi) pressure warning on it. I suspect that won't be an issue in the cold weather unless you Supercharge or drive very, very quickly/aggressively, but I'm not 100% sure.