Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing security cert after MCU2 upgrade causes App problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies in advance if this has been covered elsewhere but I didn't see it. A week or so ago I got my MCU1 and AP2.0 hardware upgraded to MCU2 and FSD computer. While the upgrade has been cool and I'm overall happy with it, there has been an annoying issue I wanted to warn others to know about in case it could save you some hassle.

After the upgrade, the next day I found I could no longer fully use the Tesla app anymore. Specifically, I cannot remotely lock or unlock the car, I can't start/drive the vehicle and I can't open the trunk or trunk. :(

Apparently there is a new security certificate that needs to be downloaded to the car as part of the upgrade. I assume it's for the MCU2 upgrade versus the AP computer...but either way, unfortunately, that security cert was not downloaded to my car. The service center missed that. And not having that cert means that multiple aspects of the mobile app stop functioning.

I am now having to wait several weeks until I can get back into the service center (or get mobile service, if that's an option) to rectify this.

Maybe I am one of the rare people who had this happen, but if you haven't already done the MCU2 upgrade and are planning to, when you go to pick up the car (and before you leave the service center), ensure that you can unlock the car from your mobile app and remote start it. If you can't, tell a service adviser right away and mention that they didn't download the "security cert" that's needed to enable the app to fully function. If the app works without issue then all is well. But if it doesn't, then perhaps you'll avoid another trip back to the service center like I am having to.

I think this has been fixed remotely. No visit back to the SC and no need for mobile service. Send a text back to the SC using the text that you have already received explaining the missing security certs. If you can't because its been closed, then open a new one. And please come back and tell us how things went.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Yea I had the same thing. They can do it remotely. In 15 min you will have full unlock and drive control from the app.

I think this has been fixed remotely. No visit back to the SC and no need for mobile service. Send a text back to the SC using the text that you have already received explaining the missing security certs. If you can't because its been closed, then open a new one. And please come back and tell us how things went.

Thanks @Akikiki and @dragoljub !

I'll give this a try. They actually closed my text conversation as soon as they told me my car was ready! The text thread was already closed by the time I got to the service center. But I'll try to open a new thread with them on Monday. That would be great if they could do it remotely and I could avoid having to go back to the service center.

I'll report back but you guys both saying the same things gives me confidence that I can get this resolved ASAP.

Thanks!

Usually they leave the app work request open for 24 hours in case of follow up with you. And that means the text they had been reaching out to you is still active. You will need to open a new ticket to start a text session, but its the ticket where you tell them what they need to do.

As I said I would, I am following up. It was exactly as @Akikiki and @dragoljub said. They were able to do it over the air and I so I was able to cancel my appointment.

I did have to ping them about 3 times on the chat thread to actually get their "attention" before someone eventually called me and texted back.

Initially texted them on Sunday evening so they would see it first thing Monday. Texted them again around noon on Monday. Hours passed and heard nothing. Then texted them a third time around 3:30p on Monday. Didn't hear anything all of Monday. But the next day (Tues) around 11am someone called and texted me back. After that, it was less than 20 minutes and I was all good to good to go. So it did take over 24 hours until someone actually acknowledged me. But, hey, I only had to fire off a few texts and overall it was still very fast and I don't have to wait 2 weeks for the original appointment I had scheduled...so I'm a happy camper.

Still - my advice still stands: avoid this hassle altogether by just checking that your app works when you pick up the car :)

Reactions: Akikiki
Sucks. Hope they can resolve it remotely.

How much was the upgrade? Did you have to purchase FSD for it?

They were able to do it remotely (see my thread above for details). Yay!

With (California) tax it was $2725.

I had already purchased FSD about 1.5 years ago. But they (finally) installed that at the same time as they upgraded the MCU.

The screen and UI is a lot more responsive now - I'm surprised by how much of a difference it makes. I still haven't played a new game, tried caraoke, watched a Netflix video or even hooked up TeslaCam yet (though I am planning to do TeslaCam as soon as I get a new large MicroSD card and a USB adapter). But I am sure I'll check all of that out in due time.

I encourage you to thread a USB cable under the mat in the console, through the hole at the end of the center console, into the glove box and put a SSD there. Then leave a decoy USB flash drive in the console that's easy to find. Store more that you will access from the Teslacam viewer anyway.

I just received an order of two small 4 port USB hubs and four 18" USB3 cables. I'm pulling my MCU and disconnecting the USB cables. I am inserting the end of two of these 18" USB cables and routing the cable ends down to the cubby. Then plugging the two hubs in. And plugging the MCU's original cables back in (behind the cubby). Then one of the 18" cables will go from a hub to the glove box. Thus removing the need for the long USB cable running under the mat. I can discontinue using the port at the back of the console since the hub under the cubby will feed the SSD in the glove box. Now, there's nothing to draw attention to the SSD in the glove box after I remove the mat cable.
Plus now, I have two-three more spare USB ports on each hub to plug into. One will go inside the center console.

I purposely bought different cables to distinguish which is used for USB Port 1 and 2.
I wanted different colored hubs to spot which is used for different types devices.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PMB3BBG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JSI12XI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076Q43SPC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0773HSCBW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I have the flexibility to to now add this connector and mount it where I need convenient access to USB ports. These will plug into one of the new hubs.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY1WDIU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: Simon_Emes
Thanks for posting about the missing cert after your MCU2 upgrade, @CameronB.

I had the exact same issue with remote unlock and opening on my Model X after the MCU2 upgrade. Initially the team at my SC were puzzled about my symptoms. I didn't think I'd find anything, but a Google search brought up your posting. Made perfect sense!

As mentioned, the SC was able to fix this remotely and everything started working perfectly again. Woohoo!

The hard part was getting back in touch with the SC the day after the update was done. Before leaving the lot I had checked everything BUT remote unlock. Doh! My SMS chat messages didn't seem to be getting through anymore. After wading through automated voicemail attendants, I got to the right live person at the SC who got a tech to make the fix for me.

Reactions: Akikiki
NetBear, I've seen it a couple of times. Security Certs not associated with all the functions of the car. Yes, its a pretty easy fix. And because its not a frequent problem, they tend to not know to check. But once they do, they get them all right.

Its unfortunate you could not get their attention after you left. Let me mention this, normally they leave the work ticket open for 24 hours after we pickup. I guess yours didn't. So, everyone, its worth the effort to check your car when you pick it up, and if you forget to check unlocking, try to remember to ask if they will leave your work order open for 24 hours in case you need to reach back. Worth the effort and save yourself some hassle.

I had this happen to me three times. (Model 3 FSD Upgrade, Model S FSD Upgrade, Model S daughterboard replacement). Unfortunately, they made me come in each time and in one case even changed a ranger appointment to a SC visit.