Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing Sound Insulation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I was performing my cabin air filter replacement when I removed the side panel. I noticed bare metal under the filter cavity/air exchanger. I did see some sound insulation on the edges but thats it. In the middle portion, it was bare. I had some leftover sound deading material and filled in that void.

Missing-Insulation.jpg

I believe that you don’t need to cover every square inch of bare metal with sound dampening material. Certainly it will probably provide more dampening if you do, but I believe Dynamat claims you only need to cover 25% of the surface to dampen vibrations. Since the material adds cost and weight to the vehicle, it makes some sense that they probably only added the bare minimum.

You know under the evaporator there is space/hole somewhere that allows the condensation from the evaporator to drain from the car. I honestly don't know where those vent holes are located but I do know once I blasted cleaning foam on the evaporator and ran the AC my car peed a little from those holes. You might not wanna block those

When I was performing my cabin air filter replacement when I removed the side panel. I noticed bare metal under the filter cavity/air exchanger. I did see some sound insulation on the edges but thats it. In the middle portion, it was bare. I had some leftover sound deading material and filled in that void.

Missing-Insulation.jpg
The battery is directly under that area, isn't it? I doubt any sound dampening/deadening would work in that area.

Strange. It's possible this is also QA hit or miss issue. The one I've ridden in were very noisy even at slow speeds, ambient noise was loud and at highway speeds it was borderline ridiculous. My '18 ICE Beetle si way more silent.

I agree at highway speeds the Model 3 is ridiculously loud. But at low speeds I found it extremely good.