Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing USB Ports in new deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a new one, but seeing some Reddit traffic about USB port removal due to supply constraints. Anyone else seen anything on this? Reddit post on USB removal
Removal? To remove the ports they had to be there in the first place. That thread said that his car is missing ports, sales found out that morning. His choice to take car, thus it's safe to assume they didn't remove them but they were missing due to supply constraints. That's not unusual given supply side constraints. There was a Taycan at the dealer that a member had ordered, they shipped the car but wouldn't let him take it due to it missing some part. Want to see real world supply issue?

Sea-of-Ford-F-150-pickups-Getty-3.jpeg

Ports were omitted sadly but they will install them at a later date to my knowledge. The USBc missing for a while is annoying but not a deal breaker. USB A in the glove box better be there and the 12v outlier in the armrest for wired charging and I’m cool. Gimme the car.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
It appears this is really happening…

New Teslas delivered with surprise missing USB ports due to parts shortages

I just told my SA to give my future car to someone else if it’s not complete w/o missing parts or functionality. I don’t have a VIN yet so maybe this is sorted before I get mine. I hope so because I’d like to have it sooner than later but I’m paying real money, a lot of it, for a brand new vehicle. I expect all the parts to be there no matter how trivial.

The worst part is they aren’t even telling most folks up front. The article in Electrek also says they aren’t forthcoming about how, when of if these issues will be corrected. Nothing in writing. All I can say to that is Wow! Pretty darn sketchy Elon.

It appears wireless phone charging is also effected. I’ll be bringing my fine toothed comb to my delivery appointment for sure.

Last edited:
Can we also see the results in a table? Like a column of all the VINs that did not come with the usb-c ports?
Yes.

Reactions: BMWLover
Tesla's lack of communication is the issue. Missing the USB ports for a month while waiting for the parts would not be a problem for me...as long as I was made aware of this prior to delivery. An email or text about the issue would be nice. But even a Post It note on the paperwork would work. The problem is that people are receiving their cars and suddenly realizing the ports are missing which is unacceptable.

There's a world wide supply issue for electronics and most people buying a car are aware of this. I would much rather get my car earlier without the ports than wait a month or two for something as insignificant as USB ports. I'm sure that it's a 15 minute mobile service appointment to get them installed. I would think many people would be ok with the ports missing temporarily if Tesla let them know ahead of time. Those who are not can just pass on delivery. But handing over cars with a missing feature and no communication about that is just wrong.

Tesla's lack of communication is the issue. Missing the USB ports for a month while waiting for the parts would not be a problem for me...as long as I was made aware of this prior to delivery. An email or text about the issue would be nice. But even a Post It note on the paperwork would work. The problem is that people are receiving their cars and suddenly realizing the ports are missing which is unacceptable.

There's a world wide supply issue for electronics and most people buying a car are aware of this. I would much rather get my car earlier without the ports than wait a month or two for something as insignificant as USB ports. I'm sure that it's a 15 minute mobile service appointment to get them installed. I would think many people would be ok with the ports missing temporarily if Tesla let them know ahead of time. Those who are not can just pass on delivery. But handing over cars with a missing feature and no communication about that is just wrong.
This right here. We get it, supply chain issue, but don't let me sign for the car, drive it home, and realize it's missing listed features with zero communication on your end.