Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing USB Ports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else want to join a lawsuit on this? It’s consumer fraud 101. Promise something, collect money for it, don’t deliver, don’t tell customer or give them an option to change their mind.
May as well start a lawsuit with multiple other manufacturers while your at it.

-bmw eliminated touch screen functionality due to a shortage of parts. No current ETA on retrofits and activation
-gm no wireless charging on all vehicles being delivered right now
-gm eliminated heated, ventilated seats and steering wheels on most models except denali. there will not be a retrofit and they are getting $150.
-gm auto start stop is eliminated on v8 10 speed vehicles. $50 credit and will not get a retrofit
-gm v8 cyl deactivation was eliminated on the 5.3L 10 speed causing an increase of 1 mpg on those trucks. no retrofit and no credit to customers.
-nissan eliminated navigation on 2/3 of all vehicles. no credits to customers and no retrofit will occur.

The list goes on due to supplier shortages and logistic issues. Enjoy the car and use an alternative charging method until parts become available or sell it.

I picked up my MYP today, December 2021 build. All charging pads and USB ports deliver power, but the two USB-C ports in the front center console appear to lack data connectivity. The manual states both USB-C inside the console are data-capable ports.
I took delivery in November, a 2022 model Y without the usb. Today they have installed the charging hub and you usb, but no data connectivity so no wired iPhone charge is possible. The technician mention me that all 2022 that he seen are that way. Some one have a 2022 and able to charge and iPhone in front? thanks

I took delivery in November, a 2022 model Y without the usb. Today they have installed the charging hub and you usb, but no data connectivity so no wired iPhone charge is possible. The technician mention me that all 2022 that he seen are that way. Some one have a 2022 and able to charge and iPhone in front? thanks
Connecting to a data vs non-data USB should not keep an iPhone from charging. There is no "data transfer" to initiate a charge on the iphone. It should charge as long as the phone detects the correct voltage. Are you using an adapter of some sort or are you using an apple usb-c to lightning cable? Maybe try a different cable?

On a whim, I went into the Service section of the Tesla app and there was a new option called "Outstanding Service (1)". When I tapped on it, it brought up "Front USB Hub Retrofit" and allowed me to schedule Mobile Service for it. Hopefully, that means they have it in stock and are not just teasing me.

On a whim, I went into the Service section of the Tesla app and there was a new option called "Outstanding Service (1)". When I tapped on it, it brought up "Front USB Hub Retrofit" and allowed me to schedule Mobile Service for it. Hopefully, that means they have it in stock and are not just teasing me.
Thanks for that hint. I had that as well. Crazy how Tesla works. it seems they go out of their way to piss people off with their customer service. Who would think to look there? Besides you! Thanks again.

Reactions: shoemakj
Same. Had that option. Scheduled the service and got a call today that they don’t have it and to wait 6 weeks by which time someone will contact to have it scheduled and confirm install!!!

What has your experiences been?

Same. Had that option. Scheduled the service and got a call today that they don’t have it and to wait 6 weeks by which time someone will contact to have it scheduled and confirm install!!!

What has your experiences been?
They texted me back through the app and said they are doing them as they become available. He said my appointment might get moved out but now I'm on the list to get taken care of ASAP. I asked for mobile service for next Weds since I'm 175 miles from the SC. At least this puts me on their radar.

Thanks for that hint. I had that as well. Crazy how Tesla works. it seems they go out of their way to piss people off with their customer service. Who would think to look there? Besides you! Thanks again.
When I tried to do the same thing last week, it wasn't even an option. At the time, I chose "Other" and it didn't even present mobile service as an option so I didn't follow through with the booking.

Following up on my last post, Tesla mobile service came to fix my missing USB. They fixed it but ended up missing a couple screws. A guy personally gave his number and said that he had ordered the screws the same day installed the usbC hub. And, once they get here, he will let you know. He also told me he would take care of the appointment side for you.

Following up on my last post, Tesla mobile service came to fix my missing USB. They fixed it but ended up missing a couple screws. A guy personally gave his number and said that he had ordered the screws the same day installed the usbC hub. And, once they get here, he will let you know. He also told me he would take care of the appointment side for you.
Glad you got the usb hub. Between car pickup and the time you got the hub, what was that timeline gap? How many days, weeks…
Trying to set my expectations on when can I expect mine to be retrofitted

Finally got a chance to test the USB-C ports yesterday, had to borrow a USB-C to USB adapter from my wife's MBA (she prefers a trackball to a touchpad) and the 128GB thumb drive was recognized and the system played music.

That was on 2021.44.6, prior to this morning's 2021.44.25.2 update.

Reactions: carlos31820
Does the center console hub that was added in your car provide data connectivity as well? Reading some disappointing news that they may become power only. (I may be a bit late to the party on this one)
I’m unsure about this. Since my Tesla mobile operator installed the hub with no screws, everytime I try to plug something in the usbC port slides deeper into the hole. Mind boggling that the repairman didn’t have screws for the job. Got to wait another month for that. It’s getting close to two months with this usb issue.

It’s always funny that people shill for a billion dollar companies. They don’t need you to defend them. I also doubt anyone defending Tesla would put up with the same behavior if McDonald’s didn’t put a burger in your hamburger and didn’t bother telling you as you drove away with your Happy Meal.

What’s clear is Tesla did not disclose the fact that they did not have them in the car, unlike the competitors people like to bring up, and counting a tweet AFTER we purchased our cars doesn’t count as disclosure. It isn’t the responsibility of the CONSUMER to verify that the MANUFACTURER built the car to the specifications they agreed to at the moment of purchase and what Tesla advertises all along, before, during, and after.

The fact Tesla continutes to roll out cars with it installed and not prioritizing making it right for the consumers that already purchased their cars shows another, IMHO, misstep.

If my ports aren’t installed in the first week of January I’ll start with filing complaints with the state and federal agencies.

Reactions: turrmoil
Does the center console hub that was added in your car provide data connectivity as well? Reading some disappointing news that they may become power only. (I may be a bit late to the party on this one)
Just tested this out by hooking up the PlayStation controller. I can confirm that the usb hub they’ve installed only gives power. It does not provide data connectivity. In order to use the remote I had to plug the dongle into the glovebox port.