Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing USB Ports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone received a car without USB ports? I’ve read a few articles that some cars are being delivered without them. I’m scheduled to pick mine up 11/22 and would be pretty annoyed if it’s missing a basic thing like USB ports. Scares me they may be cutting corners on other things.

Yes, I just took delivery of a 2022 Y on Wednesday, and the 2 front USB-C sockets in the front console compartment, are missing. There's just two empty holes. Probably no co-incidence that the wireless charger pads don't work either.
Really ticked off - the price you pay for a car like this and basic equipment has not been installed. So right now the only way to charge my phone is to run a cable from the USB-C sockets in the back, or lock it in the glovebox...

Yes, I just took delivery of a 2022 Y on Wednesday, and the 2 front USB-C sockets in the front console compartment, are missing. There's just two empty holes. Probably no co-incidence that the wireless charger pads don't work either.
Really ticked off - the price you pay for a car like this and basic equipment has not been installed. So right now the only way to charge my phone is to run a cable from the USB-C sockets in the back, or lock it in the glovebox...

Pretty unacceptable, and I'm a Tesla supporter. How about crediting you some $$$ for the inconvenience? I mean Uber credits are nice, but wasting an entire day or two for service center appointments also is super annoying. Maybe they can do it will a mobile visit. I'd be very irritated as well.

What are they going to do about it? Did they say how long before they fix it?

No 12v outlet for a car charger in the armrest?

I was reading about this and yes I fully understand your frustrations, but Tesla isnt the only company delivering cars without these items. Other companies are having problems too. They will install them when they come in. So as frustrating as it is, would you rather not have them deliver your car and wait, or take it without the ports and have them install later. It’s a parts shortage issue. At least for me id take it as is and get the parts later.

Now if they delivered it and didnt make it known that is not good PR. They should at least let people know they are missing the USB ports.

I was reading about this and yes I fully understand your frustrations, but Tesla isnt the only company delivering cars without these items. Other companies are having problems too. They will install them when they come in. So as frustrating as it is, would you rather not have them deliver your car and wait, or take it without the ports and have them install later. It’s a parts shortage issue. At least for me id take it as is and get the parts later.

Now if they delivered it and didnt make it known that is not good PR. They should at least let people know they are missing the USB ports.
+1 Completely agree with everything you said here. Exactly right, at least let the buyer know and they can make their decision. I would rather have the car right now and deal with it later than wait weeks for the car all because of a couple USB ports. Some companies are having issues far beyond just USB ports. It will be interesting to see their response, mobile service seems like an appropriate solution here to not further inconvenience the customer.

Reactions: Moonlight and lulu2

You’re thinking about it’s bad for PR… it’s actually bad for buyers/customers that I care more

But maybe I shouldn’t since I’m a shareholder of TSLA lol

Reactions: oktane
I think part of the problem is Tesla wasn't alerting people to this issue. So people got their brand new car and then couldn't plug in their phone to charge or wirelessly charge. On Reddit some SAs were finding out and alerting people but it varies in each location.

If Tesla tells people about this up front its less of an issue. But by just delivering and saying nothing it comes off as trying to sneak things past people.

Personally its problematic if this is something that has to be fixed at a Service Center as I live 90-120 minutes away traffic depending.

Just an inconvenience… but part of our world today. No big deal really. Lots of people without food and clean water. I’m certainly not going to complain about missing USB ports.

Hmm Covid seems to be the excuse for all aspects of degraded service. Packages showing up 3 days late, 2 hour phone cues, cars shipped with missing parts. Seems like a convenient excuse for some companies to provide shitty service, sorry Covid doesn't give a free pass for quality control.

Unless I was desperate for a car, I'd want to wait until the car was perfect.

I think part of the problem is Tesla wasn't alerting people to this issue. So people got their brand new car and then couldn't plug in their phone to charge or wirelessly charge. On Reddit some SAs were finding out and alerting people but it varies in each location.

If Tesla tells people about this up front its less of an issue. But by just delivering and saying nothing it comes off as trying to sneak things past people.

Personally its problematic if this is something that has to be fixed at a Service Center as I live 90-120 minutes away traffic depending.
This is my fear. If we are missing ports, we will make it work, but let us know. We take delivery on Friday and we only have a heads up of the probability because we read articles and seek out info around here. Thank goodness for built in Nav, so Waze doesn’t kill my older phone battery.