Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing USB Ports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found out on my own. No mention made of it.
That is ridiculous. I am in complete understanding that there are significant supply chain issues, and I understand that there are other carmakers that are having an even worst time. But at no point should a customer have to find out on their own that there is a supply chain issue affecting the car they are taking delivery of. That's not right.
So if someone does not check the ports until after the 100 mile - 72-hour window, are they going to charge to have them put in?

Ya'll realize that the alternative to this is no delivery at all?

I'd personally rather see cars get sent out missing an honestly luxury item that can easily be added later than have them be piled up indefinitely and folks complaining about even longer delivery waits.
I am completely with you on taking delivery and then having them installed at a later date (I have several portable charging banks), but the issue is having to find out on one's own that the ports aren't working. The SA should say, "Hey, due to our supply chain issues, the ports are not installed, but we really wanted to get your vehicle to you. You can set up a service appointment to have them installed when they get in". What does that take? 15 seconds if they speak very slowly?

I guess one of my questions/concerns would be, what ELSE isn‘t there or missing that either Engineering, parts or manufacturing thought it was okay to assemble, build and deliver the car without? Is there any insulation missing, noise or thermal? What about weather proofing? Clips somewhere, cable clips, door clips, padding? I mean the list of things that could technically be missing from engineering design or spec is pretty large. I’m relatively certainly (hopefully at least) that something more technical than functioning USB ports is NOT missing, but we just don’t know. We’ve all heard about semi/chip/controllers/logic parts being in limited supply either from a manufacturing standpoint, shipping or demand spike, but there are tons of OTHER less technical in nature that I’m sure are still sitting on ships, in containers, in warehouses, etc that some manufacturers just don’t have or have enough of at the time of manufactuRe.

Pretty unacceptable, and I'm a Tesla supporter. How about crediting you some $$$ for the inconvenience? I mean Uber credits are nice, but wasting an entire day or two for service center appointments also is super annoying. Maybe they can do it will a mobile visit. I'd be very irritated as well.
If Tesla cared about customers you'd be offered a credit or some sort relief for the inconvenience. There is another person right behind you who will take it and say nothing. It sucks but they have no pressure to make customers happy. They have zero motivation to go out of their way for the customer. I have been waiting for a Model X for over a year and they do not care. There is no communication about challenges they are having or when I might get my car. I don't consider a toss away Tweet from Elon as direct communication about my car from Tesla. There are levels of corporate leadership in Tesla who could provide clear information but they are not allowed too. You should have received a email warning you there might be missing parts upon delivery and some plan for adding them in the future. But... that's how a customer centric company would work. Good Luck.

This is Tesla, folks. Since when have they communicated about anything?

Good or bad. New Ys get Bioweapons Defense mode. That's a bonus that just 'showed up'; there wasn't advanced notice. Before that, heated steering wheels, auto-dimming mirrors, etc. etc.

It comes with the territory.
they made people accept the fact that their cars will have radar deleted. That was an additional step before taking delivery of the car.

If Tesla cared about customers you'd be offered a credit or some sort relief for the inconvenience. There is another person right behind you who will take it and say nothing. It sucks but they have no pressure to make customers happy. They have zero motivation to go out of their way for the customer. I have been waiting for a Model X for over a year and they do not care. There is no communication about challenges they are having or when I might get my car. I don't consider a toss away Tweet from Elon as direct communication about my car from Tesla. There are levels of corporate leadership in Tesla who could provide clear information but they are not allowed too. You should have received a email warning you there might be missing parts upon delivery and some plan for adding them in the future. But... that's how a customer centric company would work. Good Luck.
Considering if the car has to go into the SC for the fix, that requires time off work for a lot of people. That's enough to warrant something. Whether it's $100 credit at the Tesla accessories store or 1000 free SC miles, it's something. Unless it can be done by mobile service at no inconvenience to the owners.
they made people accept the fact that their cars will have radar deleted. That was an additional step before taking delivery of the car.
That was an actual design change, although it may have been triggered by a parts shortage. I'm sure someone (one of the wizard-level types) will figure out how to retrofit radar to a newer car that didn't come with it from the factory.

Reactions: Naija King
Considering if the car has to go into the SC for the fix, that requires time off work for a lot of people. That's enough to warrant something. Whether it's $100 credit at the Tesla accessories store or 1000 free SC miles, it's something. Unless it can be done by mobile service at no inconvenience to the owners.

That was an actual design change, although it may have been triggered by a parts shortage. I'm sure someone (one of the wizard-level types) will figure out how to retrofit radar to a newer car that didn't come with it from the factory.
Retro-fitting radar likely a tough get.
Not only the physical components and wiring is needed.
It requires integration into application code like AP and FSD, as well as fundamental kernals of the Tesla Operating System software.
Bit of a reach.

I take delivery of MYLR Sunday. I was told that they won't know if my car is effected until it arrives. BUT, I would much rather have the car without phone charger than hold my car until they had the USB hub. Come on people, act your age.

At what point do you tell Tesla they are no longer a startup and to act their age? A simple email would do.

They know people will take delivery of their Teslas no matter what, it’s insane to be honest

At what point do you tell Tesla they are no longer a startup and to act their age? A simple email would do.

They know people will take delivery of their Teslas no matter what, it’s insane to be honest
Refusing delivery is the only thing you can guarantee they'll listen to.
That may also mean they unilaterally cancel your order.
The Purchase Agreement enables that, it's rather one-sided.
But I don't know that other vehicle manufacturers allow orders to be put on Hold....so there's that.

I take delivery of MYLR Sunday. I was told that they won't know if my car is effected until it arrives. BUT, I would much rather have the car without phone charger than hold my car until they had the USB hub. Come on people, act your age.
How is one not acting their age by requesting that a manufacturer inform them of a problem the manufacture has been aware of instead of sneaking it by the customer? It would actually seem that the childish thing to do would be to accept something just because it's shiny and new...