Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing USB Ports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, if Tesla are doing things right there should be a BOM/MPM for every single thing of merit that has gone into each car.. each tagable part, everything that has a SKU related to it (part wise) and that BOM should indicated anything in this category that is missing once completed. So tesla SHOULD know every single car that is missing any single part at objectively, every single moment during manufacture. So, it really should be easy to highlight the cars missing these parts (or any for that matter) and on a case by case basis make communications to the delivery centers, SA’s or even customers WELL in advance of pickup/delivery.

Yes, I just took delivery of a 2022 Y on Wednesday, and the 2 front USB-C sockets in the front console compartment, are missing. There's just two empty holes. Probably no co-incidence that the wireless charger pads don't work either.
Really ticked off - the price you pay for a car like this and basic equipment has not been installed. So right now the only way to charge my phone is to run a cable from the USB-C sockets in the back, or lock it in the glovebox...
Considering how we are in 2021 and Tesla doesn't do that dumbass *sugar* like other car dealers where they sell next years model in the end of the previous year you took delivery of a 2021 car not a 2022 car.

Considering how we are in 2021 and Tesla doesn't do that dumbass *sugar* like other car dealers where they sell next years model in the end of the previous year you took delivery of a 2021 car not a 2022 car.
Wrong. See below screenshots from my account. 2022 Tesla, Delivery appointment Nov 20, 2021.

Also note, the N digit in my VIN indicates a 2022 model as well.

Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 4.50.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 4.51.14 PM.png

Honestly, if Tesla are doing things right there should be a BOM/MPM for every single thing of merit that has gone into each car.. each tagable part, everything that has a SKU related to it (part wise) and that BOM should indicated anything in this category that is missing once completed. So tesla SHOULD know every single car that is missing any single part at objectively, every single moment during manufacture. So, it really should be easy to highlight the cars missing these parts (or any for that matter) and on a case by case basis make communications to the delivery centers, SA’s or even customers WELL in advance of pickup/delivery.
In normal times I would agree. But, these are not normal times. Companies making many products beyond cars have lines shutting down because suppliers cannot meet delivery commitments windows to keep the just-in-time manufacturing lines feed. So while they can document which cars end up missing USB ports or other components, predicting which cars that will be is difficult. With Tesla delivering right from the factory to the customer, my last X was going down the line a day or two before I picked it up.

I take delivery of MYLR Sunday. I was told that they won't know if my car is effected until it arrives. BUT, I would much rather have the car without phone charger than hold my car until they had the USB hub. Come on people, act your age.
That is you and that is fine. You should take your car as-is. Some other people may be in different situations and may actually need/want that functionality. When they purchased the car, it was with the understanding that those ports/features are available, so I dont begrudge them.

For me, I couldnt care less about the USB ports, but I do use the wireless charger every time I'm in the car. I dont even have any charging wires in the car. If I honestly didnt need the car because I'm working from home or whatever, I'd like the option to delay my delivery until I get the car I paid for. I believe there should be an option for that. Give the car to someone who wants it now and doesnt care about USB ports, I'll take the one thats complete.

I have friends have a late Nov delivery date and have to drive 3hrs away to a neighboring state to get their car. I havent mentioned this to them yet (I likely will as the time draws near), but I'm curious to see if they get contacted by Tesla to let them know they need to bring a car charger with them or an extra battery. They're likely to be sour as Tesla hasnt made this a pleasant experience as it is.... as I said, they have to drive 3hrs to get the car.

Here’s a guy that sound like he’s worked in logistics/materials for a large company…. You’re dead right sir!

The majority of our dependent semi conductors chips of all types are coming form South Korea, Taiwan and Singapore, so this supply shortage isn’t really a Chinese thing… so giving them the finger won’t have much impact.
Agreed. Buy Apple products. They get their SOCs from TSMC (Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co.). That will upset the mainland.

That is you and that is fine. You should take your car as-is. Some other people may be in different situations and may actually need/want that functionality. When they purchased the car, it was with the understanding that those ports/features are available, so I dont begrudge them.

For me, I couldnt care less about the USB ports, but I do use the wireless charger every time I'm in the car. I dont even have any charging wires in the car. If I honestly didnt need the car because I'm working from home or whatever, I'd like the option to delay my delivery until I get the car I paid for. I believe there should be an option for that. Give the car to someone who wants it now and doesnt care about USB ports, I'll take the one thats complete.

I have friends have a late Nov delivery date and have to drive 3hrs away to a neighboring state to get their car. I havent mentioned this to them yet (I likely will as the time draws near), but I'm curious to see if they get contacted by Tesla to let them know they need to bring a car charger with them or an extra battery. They're likely to be sour as Tesla hasnt made this a pleasant experience as it is.... as I said, they have to drive 3hrs to get the car.
You do know that there's a 12V cigarette lighter socket in the under armrest storage area, right? Who doesn't have an adapter for that?
Really, the USB ports are gonna get fixed. At least, that's everyone's expectation.
If that were not to happen, THEN it's an issue worth whining about.

Yes, they deleted the passenger side lumbar adjuster. Well, I can put that in by buying the parts if I want to. (yes, you can).
But if Tesla wants to charge everyone for putting back the USB ports, THEN it's an issue.
Until then, I trust Tesla to do it right eventually. I can handle a Service Center visit, or better, a Mobile Service Tech visit.

I take delivery of MYLR Sunday. I was told that they won't know if my car is effected until it arrives. BUT, I would much rather have the car without phone charger than hold my car until they had the USB hub. Come on people, act your age.
Right! Listen, if ya’ll aren’t willing to do your own inspection to figure out anything or everything that may not arrive with your car, and think that Tesla should be telling you ahead of time instead, then I don’t know what to say. Don’t be coddled like the BMW d-bags who disclose missing features and provide credits for such things. We’ve got more important grown up things to worry about, like how much of a bully that Bernie is.