Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing USB Ports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went online this morning and opened a chat with Tesla. This is the response they provided me

View attachment 733576
Thanks for sharing, I'd be fine with that. Just one minor tweak for Tesla, they're not 'replacement ports' if there's nothing there to replace... LOL, but let's not split hairs here right?

I'm picking up MY on Nov. 22 and will likely affected by this it seems, but I'd rather have the car now than wait another month or two...or five... That's my choice... just like everyone else here has a choice, you don't have to accept delivery if this is that big of an issue to you and if Tesla not saying anything is a bigger issue to you then you don't have to buy one nor support the company. That's the great thing about capitalism! You have the right to buy wherever you want if you don't like what the company is doing. Seems like based on this response above that they are addressing it and will fix them all as we would expect.

Of course doing it out of the factory isn't ideal but what do you think happens to your car when they get it serviced? Have you ever watched them open up your car? Typically you drop it off and then pick it up, not seeing the 'doc perform surgery' so you would hope that they know how to open parts of the car and put them back together. Plus, everything in these cars snaps open and closed very easily, just watch some of the videos of people doing DIY light changes and all... it's fairly simple and not really a big deal IMO.

I still can't believe that Tesla can charge you for a garage door opener. Come on really? Even Honda and most other manufacturers Homelink is standard. Both my earlier cars 17 MS and 18 M3 came with them and then I guess they came up with a great idea... charge them for it! How cheesy is that:mad:

I agree. To pay $60K for a car and not get basics like mud flaps, a rear privacy cover, floor mats, and HomeLink is annoying. I'd rather they just raise the price a bit (which they have no problem with) and just include some of those basics (for a car half its price).

I agree. To pay $60K for a car and not get basics like mud flaps, a rear privacy cover, floor mats, and HomeLink is annoying. I'd rather they just raise the price a bit (which they have no problem with) and just include some of those basics (for a car half its price).
I'm with you on that to an extent. When I found out the center console trays were another $30 I thought that was ridiculous but then I saw the other side of it. I'd be fine with them racing the price and adding those things but what about people who don't need them or want them or prefer a different kind? I think it could go either way actually. Also, I had recently upgraded my garage door to a wifi enabled system so that may be part of the thinking here as to not include HomeLink. No clue if that's accurate by the way, but just saying I can use the app to open my door without needing to install HomeLink. I will say though, it is very strange for a car with so much tech in it to NOT have a garage door opener built in, especially one that is still industry standard. I was shocked by many of these things but again, it seems like they're going the a la carte route here... and making a killing too of course, lol

Reactions: bnsfengineer
Wow, picking up my ‘22 MY today @ 10:00 am. Big believer that most things are solvable, tho not always ideal. We do live in interesting times. Had occasion to watch 60 minutes Sunday who did a great reporting job on why some many things are wrong with the supply chain & increasing inflation on goods & services. Port of L.A./Long beach was used in the reporting. What a cluster mess! Stacks of shipping containers that were panned from above for extraordinary distances! Everyone seemed to blame everyone from the port to logistical planners to the truckers to the railroads, etc.
Allegedly, Illustrious leader & various government leaders are trying to sort it out.
Recall, this port is the main conduit for a big percentage of goods from the east. My point is that our famed technology expertise & can do attitudes are really at low points across so much of America. Blame it on Pandemic, politicians in our legislative body, our last two executive leaders, have/have not inequities…..need I go on.
I think we should take a deep breathe & acknowledge the times & challenges.
To me this kerfuffle from Tesla is not good corporate behavior, & as many have said, forewarn the consumer & acknowledge the issue with a solution of later install of missing parts or offer a variety of alternatives. Of course, I will be reporting in on my delivery today, but know I can live with what I perceive as a FIRST WORLD problem for any of us fortunate to purchase an expensive car. TESLA will make it right!
Respectfully submitted.
As I promised, picked up car @ 10:00 am today. Model Y LR AWD White/White hitch.
Spent about an hour going over the car via a checklist.
EVERYTHING was perfect. All USB-c ports were there. Wireless charger works. Paint, body gaps, alignments most excellent.
Mud flaps ( front) & protection film on sides.
Interior also most excellent.
In fact, from my perspective, as good as any cars I have purchased over the years fit & finish!! Rides like I like & of course is a hoot to drive.

As I promised, picked up car @ 10:00 am today. Model Y LR AWD White/White hitch.
EVERYTHING was perfect. All USB-c ports were there. Wireless charger works. Paint, body gaps, alignments most excellent.
In fact, from my perspective, as good as any cars I have purchased over the years fit & finish!! Rides like I like & of course is a hoot to drive.
Congrats! Good to hear about a smooth delivery. Can you update the Google form?

One of my concerns is the time if will take to install the USB ports after the fact. I’m sure they can do it but service centers and mobile service are already slammed. How long a wait will it be to get an appointment once parts are available and how long does each fix take. Seems like a lot of work getting punted to the service department.

Worst case scenario would be Tesla never doing the fix, but that seems like it would be unlikely. I just got a vin assigned but was waiting in tax incentives to flesh out. This helps with that decision to delay I think.
Where does not picking the car you order put you on the delivery list? Isn't the queue now until 2023?

What did Tesla say to you about the resolution of the problem? Did they give you a date when parts will be available for install at an SC? Did they tell you they were even going to fix it at all? Did you get anything in writing? I’m about to take delivery and I would really appreciate knowing what to expect. Thx for any info…
here's the best part...they said nothing, and i found out at home while i going through my inspection. I just left it in the note to tesla for my when my car returns to get fixed. all in all, for a November build...it isn't too bad, until you look closely. paint still sucks, and quality control has a long way to go.

Did you count the battery cells in your battery pack? Would you ever notice if it was missing a handful or two? ;) What else is there that you cannot double check which Tesla could try to sneak in? Btw, Tesla is not the only one to deliver cars short on parts, I heard of Porsche dealers delivering cars with missing features and never informing the customers, however the blame for that was solely on the dealer, because the factory did in fact provide a list of missing options to the dealer (so that those can be retrofitted at a later time), the dealer just didn't want the customer to balk at things like missing powered steering wheel adjustment.

The fact that some cars come with missing part, while annoying, could be understandable given current supply chain issues, as long as it is fully disclosed before the delivery and customer has a choice of taking the car or waiting until the car is complete. Unfortunately, while the traditional auto manufacturers like Porsche track each part they install in the car, I suspect Tesla simply does not have that capability today.

FWIW I received a VIN and EDD Nov 21-25 a little more than a week ago but was promptly removed a couple of days later According to my SA and Tesla rep, my car was missing some parts so they're replacing it with different one from factory. Could this be the missing USBc ports?

Based on the tracker right now seems like the parts/no-parts cutoff is around the NF310s and I’m taking delivery of a MYLR this Friday with # NF313. Thanks OP for the tracker here! The SA said there was no notes to my car but this tracker helps me to adjust my expectations

Reactions: torifile
FWIW I received a VIN and EDD Nov 21-25 a little more than a week ago but was promptly removed a couple of days later According to my SA and Tesla rep, my car was missing some parts so they're replacing it with different one from factory. Could this be the missing USBc ports?
Instead of swapping cars, why not the cables? I mean you probably already applied for financing under the original VIN given to you, etc.

I remember back in the day a year or so ago when many of us were awaiting the addition of the heated steering wheel, double-paned front window glass, the flash drive for Sentry moved to the glove compartment and the updated center console - all of which were added basically without charge, and in my case, while the price was actually lowered..... Tesla did themselves a disservice by not announcing the addition of these features for no charge, just as they are making themselves look bad by not sending a simple notification either targeted to the specific audience or even just a general statement to order holders that some parts may be missing due to supply issues; you'll have a choice to reject or accept; the parts will be installed when available. I am an Elon fan and long-time stock owner but the elimination of the PR department at Tesla has to rate among his most head-scratching decisions. Tesla is no longer a start-up; they really need a few more professional managers in the room.