Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing USB Ports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately, while the traditional auto manufacturers like Porsche track each part they install in the car, I suspect Tesla simply does not have that capability today.
If anything, Tesla has too much data:

"Tesla production data is fed into several different key systems. The first major one is in the MES (Manufacturing Execution System). This software essentially is the air traffic controller of the entire production process. It can tell a certain item in the assembly line where it should be heading, keep track of the production orders and quality issues, and collect basic measurements."
- Data Analytics for Manufacturing: the Tesla’s Case Study (Part 1)

I've seen video of the Shanghai factory line, where workers were scanning the barcode of each part before installing it. Elon is highly data-driven.

Well, as a BMW d-bag Gen X guy here I can't tell you how old this thread makes me feel. And I couldn't disagree more.
The generations below me whine and complain about Nestle and every other big company ruining the world and stealing their future and then out of the other side of their mouths accept every little wearing down of their rights as a customer and let them get away with it. Good luck. I'm raising my kids not to accept BS from faceless systems of companies.

MrJeep, I think you may have missed that my comment was clearly (?) sarcastic.

Signed,
A fellow d-bag

Reactions: MrJeep997
For sure!! We can all enjoy our $60k car which will be torn apart in a couple of months and when the rattles start the SC will just shrug…

Anyways, I think everyone is aware that it will get fixed. What everyone is up in arms about is that Tesla doesn’t communicate with their buyers what is happening. Some poor Sap will never realize his crap doesn’t work.
This is more so the point than anything else. If this is similar to any other car forum I've been a part of, then we can assume that [active] forum members are just a relatively low fraction of all owners. How many new owners not regularly plugged into this forum or Reddit are readily aware of this if not actively communicated to them by Tesla.

Reading the results of the tracker, I really feel like there's a 50/50 chance mine will have the ports or not. I've got a 7SA...3073xx VIN, which seems to indicate that I'll have the ports. But based on sorting by date VIN assigned, I'm a few days past where ports started missing.

I'm picking up on Saturday and will update once I know!

Reading the results of the tracker, I really feel like there's a 50/50 chance mine will have the ports or not. I've got a 7SA...3073xx VIN, which seems to indicate that I'll have the ports. But based on sorting by date VIN assigned, I'm a few days past where ports started missing.

I'm picking up on Saturday and will update once I know!
We don’t know for sure if VINs are chronological so it could be that you get one without ports but given no one with a VIN that low has, I’d say your chances are better than 50/50 you aren’t missing them. My VIN is 308xxx so I’m expecting them to be there. I won’t be surprised if they’re not, but the data is the data. Delivery date for me is 11/23.

To all the people saying "my car will never be the same once it's torn apart." It absolutely will be. Anyone who has the proper tools and skills can remove the center console, install the USB module and replace it. That does not necessarily include someone doing it in their driveway, but it does apply to any tech at any dealer.

Clearly this is due to supply chain issues that Tesla and the rest of the world are experiencing. That I can understand and I think the decision to deliver cars that are missing a relatively minor part that doesn't affect the rest of the car's function is totally reasonable. *BUT* there is absolutely no excuse for doing so without notifying owners. Even a short letter or sticker on the center console with a QR code would have sufficed. Leaving this for customers (and the dealers/stores) to figure out on their own is sloppy management, pure and simple.

Has anyone seen any official communication from Tesla on this? One would think that will all the press they would say something. This reminds me of the processor throttling scandal with iPhones a few years ago. Had Tesla had clear communication up front it would have saved an ton of frustration, bad press and bad PR. SMH.

The fact that some cars come with missing part, while annoying, could be understandable given current supply chain issues, as long as it is fully disclosed before the delivery and customer has a choice of taking the car or waiting until the car is complete. Unfortunately, while the traditional auto manufacturers like Porsche track each part they install in the car, I suspect Tesla simply does not have that capability today.
I’m pretty certain that Tesla is tracking every single part of relevance just the same as the historical manufacturers like Daimler, VW, Porsche, Ford, etc. It’s just the way it is done.

Now, they probably aren’t actually TRACKING things like zip ties, tape, some cable harness stays, adhesive, non-SKU’d specific consumables that are going into each car, but each cable harness to an engineering spec’d bolt, etc. is tracked that goes into each car. As the car is being built, when the robot or the human pulls a part out of the bin or trolley, it’s automagically decremented from the inventory management system and credited to the BILL of MATERIALS (BOM) for that specific vehicle. At the end of the line, if something was missing and they pushed the car through to the next station, they normally side-line these cars and add the parts later, but in this case it seems they pushed them through knowingly, and never added them back after the fact prior to delivery.

Yes, I just took delivery of a 2022 Y on Wednesday, and the 2 front USB-C sockets in the front console compartment, are missing. There's just two empty holes. Probably no co-incidence that the wireless charger pads don't work either.
Really ticked off - the price you pay for a car like this and basic equipment has not been installed. So right now the only way to charge my phone is to run a cable from the USB-C sockets in the back, or lock it in the glovebox...
In my Model Y, the wireless charging pad plugs into one of the USB ports which you said are missing so no, not a coincidence.

Reactions: sleepydoc
It’s not down vote is a disagree button. And I will disagree with any anti Tesla hyperball.

Can you explain what's "anti-Tesla hyperball" about sending an email to affected customers that due to the chip shortage the USB/Wireless feature will be enabled on a future date at no cost. For the inconvenience here is a $100 voucher to the Tesla shop or here are 500 miles for free SC or here is a free T-shirt/hat .... or maybe just the e-mail will suffice..... But yeah "anti-Tesla" :rolleyes:

It’s not down vote is a disagree button. And I will disagree with any anti Tesla hyperball.
So at least you're admitting to being a fanboy. There should a section in the forum for you and the other fanboys to post all positive things about Tesla with each other. At least that way new Tesla owners or potential Tesla owners don't get the impression that Tesla doesn't have any faults.

I think it's funny that I made a comment asking if anyone received a due bill for the USB ports since without that you're just trusting Tesla to follow through with installing them afterwards that you "disagreed" with.
I'd love to hear why that is anti Tesla hyperball.

Instead of thumbing down every negative comment about Tesla, coming up with some intelligent response why you feel it's anti Tesla hyperball would be intriguing and probably more constructive to the community.

Yeah, that's pretty much what s/he does. Every forum has its fanboys...
I've said this before, it's always good to be a fan, but being a fanboy doesn't do any good. A fan can be supportive, but also critical. This is what drives change in a company.
A fanboy just drools over anything the company does no matter how bad. Basically it just enables a company to continue moving in the wrong direction.

Can you explain what's "anti-Tesla hyperball" about sending an email to affected customers that due to the chip shortage the USB/Wireless feature will be enabled on a future date at no cost. For the inconvenience here is a $100 voucher to the Tesla shop or here are 500 miles for free SC or here is a free T-shirt/hat .... or maybe just the e-mail will suffice..... But yeah "anti-Tesla" :rolleyes:
Sure they should work on customer communication. 100% But mega hyberballs implying Tesla is trying to scam some one or Mask sold his stocks some how connected and should be investigated all hysteria and FUD.

Reactions: Tabor
1637174862538.jpeg