Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mission E price and deposit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I contacted Porsche here in Vancouver. The guy quoted me a 135 to 160 canadian price range. Several media outlets as well as well as Porsche had stated it would be 80 American. 3000 deposit, refundable as long as they have not started building the car for you.

If it looks like the concept it's tempting, but more money than I thought. Hard to go to a slower car for more money as well. I currently have a p90dl.

I contacted Porsche here in Vancouver. The guy quoted me a 135 to 160 canadian price range. Several media outlets as well as well as Porsche had stated it would be 80 American. 3000 deposit, refundable as long as they have not started building the car for you.

If it looks like the concept it's tempting, but more money than I thought. Hard to go to a slower car for more money as well. I currently have a p90dl.

Do you travel in your P90DL to the interior or down south? If so, do you really want to go from banks of maintained fast chargers to public chargers, the fastest being very few Chademo or CCS -- that are often occupied or not working? I don't see speed as the issue with the Porsche but the fact that you can't take it anywhere out of town without being concerned about charging. No thanks. That's a deal killer right there for me.

Plus it has to be Canadianized and the manufacturer has to be onboard. Apparently Tesla does not make it doable for the Model S but I believe they do for the Roadster. I have seen this mentioned a few times in threads here.

I believe they've done it once or twice for the Roadster, but only under exceptional conditions. In one case I've heard of, an owner totaled his Roadster and Tesla helped him bring in and register a European car (they're closer to Canadian spec).

It's not difficult to import a car from down south provided it's on this list and you comply with the notes for the vehicle you are importing:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/motorvehiclesafety/VAFUS.pdf

Here's the notes for Porsche:

PORSCHE 2002 TO 2017 All models Please read all notes See EXPLANATIONS section. Note-1: TETHER ANCHORAGES: All 2008 and 2009 911 non-Cabriolet models are equipped with tether anchorages to accept the tether belt. However, the anchorage is covered by a carpet and not visible. The carpet must be cut away to reach the anchorage. The covering also does not have the required new labels. Note-2: Enabling of daytime running lamps may be required.

We had the US car dealers actively advertise to us (since I live close to the border) when our dollar was near par since the savings were significant, especially on vehicles like the Leaf which are a dime a dozen down there. My Leaf is from the States. I also bought an ATV down south when our dollar was at par, did the customs paperwork, and Canadian Tire did the certification -- which took about 5 minutes to go over the check list after I brought it back. You just need to make sure the paperwork is done in advance and waiting for you at the border. You can't just show up with a vehicle and then expect to do the paperwork or you will be turned away.

Tesla won't allow the Model S on the list because, in my view, their services centres are too busy as is without adding the required retrofits to the list of already busy service centres, even if those retrofits are minor and make them money. I have no doubt it will be added sometime in the future, but not the foreseeable future, because the Model 3 will only make it even busier for some time to come. The Roadster is on the list but that was before the Model S was even out.

go read the thread on the KSI chargers to see why, for the next 3 years anyway, the only electric car to own if you like to leave town once in a while is a Tesla

the supercharger network is a worldbeater and makes all other electric cars seem utterly confining and useless.

Porsche (via Volkswagen along with Audi), BMW and Mercedes and Ford Europe are building their own supercharger network...in 3 years, and in Europe only. Soon we'll have the same announcement here and it should be ready around 2021 for north america.

Until then, all of these other electric cars are useful only as city cars or daily full charge commuter cars...but don't plan to go out of town without being immensely restricted and frustrated by the state of the non-Tesla charging infrastructure.

I fully believe that Tesla has 3 years to dominate the world and become profitable. If they don't by 2020-2021 when the German supercharger network is in place, Audi, BM and MB will just be destroying their current stranglehold on the market.

I love my P90D but if I could have had an all electric RS6 wagon with a similar-to-Tesla charging network, I would never have bought my Tesla. I think those cars are still 4 years away unfortunately,.

the supercharger network is a worldbeater and makes all other electric cars seem utterly confining and useless.

I get your point but this goes too far for me. Our Leaf gets a ton of use by my kids for around the neighbourhood. It also keeps them real close to home and off most major highways -- which is perfect since death by a motor vehicle accident is the number one cause of death for teenagers.

I fully believe that Tesla has 3 years to dominate the world and become profitable. If they don't by 2020-2021 when the German supercharger network is in place, Audi, BM and MB will just be destroying their current stranglehold on the market.

I certainly hope Tesla doesn't dominate the world, since the more choice the better, but I'll believe the "German supercharger network" when I see it. Not one permit has been pulled to date and that speaks volumes to me. The Germans are also the master of the ICE engine, and are only very reluctantly forced to go electric because of Tesla. If you have to kick them in the arse to get them out of the gate, they won't be racing to the finish, at least in my view, and those of others who are much more in the know than me:

Christian Hochfeld, director of the Agora Verkehrswende think tank, told Quartz that its time for the car industry to get worried, as “the sector stands on the cusp of the greatest revolution since the invention of the motor car; and they certainly are concerned—their traditional business model is at stake.

The auto industry lobby is incredibly powerful—no surprise really since the car industry employs more than 800,000 people (link in German) in Germany—and has major clout in Berlin. Joachim Koschnicke, Angela Merkel’s new campaign manager for the election in September, was formerly Opel’s former vice president for European Government Relations, one of Germany’s top lobbyists (link in German) for the car industry.

“Until now, they’ve sold private cars on the basis of combustion engines, and in the future they will have to as mobility providers, sell them on the basis of emissions-free kilometers covered. That’s a huge, completely new challenge,” says Hochfeld.

Three years and there will a German supercharger network? I highly doubt it.

I get your point but this goes too far for me. Our Leaf gets a ton of use by my kids for around the neighbourhood. It also keeps them real close to home and off most major highways -- which is perfect since death by a motor vehicle accident is the number one cause of death for teenagers.

Your leaf, therefore, is confining and useless if you like to leave town once in a while (which is what I said). So I think you meant to say that you agreed with me rather than saying I went too far.

I'll believe the "German supercharger network" when I see it. Not one permit has been pulled to date and that speaks volumes to me.

3 years ago we had almost no superchargers. At the beginning of this year, in Ontario Canada there were only 40 SC stalls in the province. Today there are around 120 operational and another 60 are about to come on line in the next 3-4 weeks. That's from virtually nothing 3 years ago.

You think 4 of the largest automakers on earth, putting BILLIONS of dollars together to create their own supercharger network can't get it done when they're losing market share? lol

You must be forgetting...these companies are controlled not by their history, but by their shareholders. I think you're sleeping on this one. Here, have a read...maybe you missed the memo

BMW, Mercedes, Ford, VW, Audi launch Ionity high-power fast charging across Europe

A group of automakers in Europe announced on Friday they will launch "Ionity," a network of high-power fast-charging stations to build out the continent's infrastructure for electric-car travel.

When it's finished in 2020, Ionity will include 400 charging stations across multiple countries, supporting all electric cars that adhere to the Combined Charging Standard (CCS) protocol.

However, work begins immediately, and the coalition of automakers said it will install 20 charging stations in 2017.

DON'T MISS: Porsche's 800-Volt fast charging for electric cars: why it matters

BMW, Mercedes-Benz's parent company Daimler, Ford, and Volkswagen Group brands all threw their support behind the pan-European charging network.

Perhaps most important, the Ionity project will include charging stations with power up to 350 kilowatts—the same figure Porsche touts for its 2020 Mission E all-electric sport sedan.

Porsche installed its first prototype 350-kw unit earlier this year in Berlin, with the goal of providing an 80-percent battery recharge in about 15 minutes.

Ford Transit Plug-In Hybrid van for the UK

The brand's goal is to populate highway rest areas and fuel stations with 350-kw charging stations to coincide with the Mission E sedan's release.

However, the addition of the 350-kw stations will likely come later in the lifetime of the Ionity project.

Such stations use liquid-cooling technology, still being tested, to prevent overheating of the charging pins at the high electrical rates required.

At present, the first 20 stations will open via partnerships with Circle K, Tank and Rast, and OMV with stations installed in 120-kilometer (80-mile) intervals.

The automaker coalition says the stations will support multiple charging stations for expanded use in the future.

It's unclear how powerful these first stations will be, though we might surmise 50 kw to 100 kw, the current rates of deployed CCS fast-charging in the U.S. and Europe today.

Renault Connected Energy charging station powered by second-life batteries

The announcement came as some European nations have moved to ban the sale of new cars powered by fossil fuels to curb emissions.

Norway and the Netherlands expect to end such sales in 2025 and 2030; France and the United Kingdom eye 2040.

CHECK OUT: Shell buys its first electric car charging station firm in Europe

The Ionity coalition hopes support by numerous carmakers under a single brand will make electric cars more appealing to consumers and ease buyer fears of inadequate charging infrastructure.

All automakers currently hold equal shares in the project, and the partners left the door open for other automakers to join the coalition—and to expand the network beyond the targeted 400 stations by 2020.

3 years ago we had almost no superchargers. At the beginning of this year, in Ontario Canada there were only 40 SC stalls in the province. Today there are around 120 operational and another 60 are about to come on line in the next 3-4 weeks. That's from virtually nothing 3 years ago.

You think 4 of the largest automakers on earth, putting BILLIONS of dollars together to create their own supercharger network can't get it done when they're losing market share? lol

You must be forgetting...these companies are controlled not by their history, but by their shareholders. I think you're sleeping on this one. Here, have a read...maybe you missed the memo

Nope, not sleeping. All of your links are just predictions and targets -- which mean nothing to me having seen so many similar predictions and targets go by the wayside. I don't doubt the fast charging network in Europe by 2020 but that doesn't mean anything to me either. I'm talking about North America. Of course, they can build one here in three years, and even much sooner, but in order to do you must first take out a permit. Not one has been pulled to date. Press releases, predictions and targets are fine and dandy but they don't fool me if no permits are being pulled.

And as to shareholders controlling companies, now that gave me a good laugh! I guess they do have the oppression remedy under most corporate legislation but Musk is driving Tesla, not the shareholders, and it's the same with most companies -- those at the top are steering the ship and I directed you to them in my prior link.

But no use arguing over it. You're convinced it will happen and you will be driving your German long range EV all over North America on their fast charging network in three year's time. I really hope you are correct but if I had to bet, my money says you'll still be driving a Tesla and stopping at superchargers -- which will be an even bigger network at that time, and it will take even longer to catch up to.

umm...yes you do. Right here..

I was only talking about North America. I thought you were too since you are in Canada, and you talked about buying an Audi instead of your Tesla but the supercharger network keeps you with Tesla. How a European charging network is even relevant to our conversation makes no sense to me. Same with Australia or any of the other continents.

I was only talking about North America. I thought you were too since you are in Canada, and you talked about buying an Audi instead of your Tesla but the supercharger network keeps you with Tesla. How a European charging network is even relevant to our conversation makes no sense to me. Same with Australia or any of the other continents.
it's pretty relevant because it's what I was talking abotu when you quoted me...so there's that lol

further, you then opined you don't think they'll have a supercharging network in europe in 3 years for the big 3 + EuroFord + Shell...then contradicted yourself immediately thereafter.

So I'm not sure what you agree or disagree with. Let's leave it there.

Book recommendation: “The Innovator’s Dilemma” by Clayton Christensen.

Really explains how incumbent companies can do all the right things while managing themselves right off a cliff. This scenario may yet play out in EVs.

Interestingly, i believe Clayton Christensen declared that in his opinion Tesla was not a disruptive innovator.. Am not sure I agree with him.