Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mission Motorcycles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
strider
I was asked by Tesla to put down $100K for a Roadster with a promise to deliver in two years. Having been through several start ups, I knew that was not a wise move. I waited until the car was done and I had a chance to test drive it.

Applying the above to the R, I would buy one today if it were in production. I am very hopeful that the bike will go into production and have even asked if there are kits to allow people to build and register their own bikes. At the same time, I am mindful that many things well beyond Mission's control may very well delay or even scrap production of the R. From my perspective, it is wiser to wait until the project is further along even if that means I will be later in the queue.

Again, if it was in production today I would be standing in line with a big bag of cash. It is a very nice design and incredibly well executed.

strider
I was asked by Tesla to put down $100K for a Roadster with a promise to deliver in two years. Having been through several start ups, I knew that was not a wise move. I waited until the car was done and I had a chance to test drive it.

Applying the above to the R, I would buy one today if it were in production. I am very hopeful that the bike will go into production and have even asked if there are kits to allow people to build and register their own bikes. At the same time, I am mindful that many things well beyond Mission's control may very well delay or even scrap production of the R. From my perspective, it is wiser to wait until the project is further along even if that means I will be later in the queue.

Again, if it was in production today I would be standing in line with a big bag of cash. It is a very nice design and incredibly well executed.
That was how I understood your position but in light of your "in my garage next summer" statement I didn't know if you had ponied up. As I said before, my heart and mind are warring at this point. I'll see what the bank account looks like in September.

I had a very quick exchange with Mark from Mission. Cool to know he drives a P85. He mentioned an ETA of Q2 next year for the Mission R. I'm really getting interested in this machine... I could go completely fossil fuel free. He also mentioned that some prototypes/betas are ready for a photoshoot, the results of which should be published shortly on their website I imagine.

Now I have to start saving money. :)

P.S. Anyone else think this thread should become sticky?

Thanks for that. So now we know the weight. It's 100lbs heavier than my current bike which is ~18%. The Roadster is ~13% heavier than the Elise (using numbers from memory) but the full torque and zero overcomes the weight disadvantage IMO. That being said I've never tracked my Roadster, it's my daily driver.

The Mission R will be tracked exclusively so there are some things to think about there. But my days of riding for absolute lap times are behind me. I love not having to shift the Tesla... the telepathic throttle response... the reasons we're all here today. I think the subjective stuff that the article talks about hold true for me. I enjoy driving my Tesla more than I did my Corvette and I expect the same will hold true for the Mission providing they did as nice a job as Tesla on the drivetrain.

Thanks for that. So now we know the weight. It's 100lbs heavier than my current bike which is ~18%. The Roadster is ~13% heavier than the Elise (using numbers from memory) but the full torque and zero overcomes the weight disadvantage IMO. That being said I've never tracked my Roadster, it's my daily driver.

The Mission R will be tracked exclusively so there are some things to think about there. But my days of riding for absolute lap times are behind me. I love not having to shift the Tesla... the telepathic throttle response... the reasons we're all here today. I think the subjective stuff that the article talks about hold true for me. I enjoy driving my Tesla more than I did my Corvette and I expect the same will hold true for the Mission providing they did as nice a job as Tesla on the drivetrain.

Did you order the Mission already? I believe the RS is supposed to be more fun than the R according to that article.. it's like a performance plus versus a standard..

It is a fine line keeping your name in the press and in front of new customers while holding onto potential customers for a year. The custom purpose design approach of Mission makes it a compelling product and most certainly is a barrier to entry for the Bramos and Zeros of this world. I've got my fingers crossed on this one :)

Hey guys,

So I got a chance to throw a leg over the RS yesterday at the same event as the video that Seegem posted above. There were 4 of us who were given demo rides that day. Three from the local (we're not afraid to buy really expensive motorcycles) Ducati owners group and myself.

Having driven Teslas for almost 3 years my bar was set incredibly high. I truly wanted a 2-wheeled Tesla and despite what the recent article titles have said, I wanted to find out for myself.

So the short version is that the bike met my expectations. There is a bit of neutral throttle surge to deal with (but it may have been me - I would like a stiffer spring and shorter "turn" for track use) but the early Roadsters had the same issues with surging that were resolved through software work on the controllers. So this is not a deal-breaker for me.

The bike is heavy, no doubt about it. But like a Tesla once you're moving the weight melts away. It handles very well. The increase in weight is partially offset by not having the gyroscopic effects of the engine fighting turn-in. I never found myself fighting to get the bike to turn in. A couple times entering really slow corners the bike tried to fall into the corner but I was able to pick it up with the throttle quite easily. The throttle is very smooth and responsive like we've come to love from our cars. Regen and traction control work quite well at public road speeds. A few times I deliberately chopped the throttle mid corner and the rear end did not try to pass me so it passed that test. Like our cars it's very easy to find yourself going much faster than you think you are. In fact, in that video Seegem posted, Adam was pulled over by the police- that's why the video is in two pieces and in the video posted above he's constantly checking his mirrors.

I find the gear whine to be too loud but talking with the MM crew they have decided that this is an MM "signature" and so will retain the straight-cut gears and accompanying loud gear whine. It's still quieter than my ICE of course but I would like it even quieter if there's not an engineering reason for it.

A couple other thoughts…

As mentioned in one of the articles they are changing from on-board chargers to using the motor to charge a la the 1.x Roadsters. This obviates the option of the second charger. All bikes will be configured this way and will allow a 10kW charge rate. They are still figuring out charging logistics but the current plan is to have a couple foot long pigtail cable in the tail of the bike that you can stick plug adapters onto based on what you're plugging into.

The 15kWh bike has the same performance as the 17 but with less weight due to fewer cells. So if you don't need the range go with the 15 to save weight.

Drivetrain/performance is identical between the RS and R15 and R17. RS just has fancier wheels and suspension and more carbon fiber.

Bill will appreciate this with all his MS geometry work… They are using their own swingarm design that allows length adjustment without affecting ride height.

As one of the articles stated the motor is capable of 160ft lbs of torque but the batteries can't generate that much current. If/when battery tech catches up you'll be able to upgrade the batteries and unlock more power.

They will have multiple regen and throttle map presets built in. They are planning to allow riders complete access to the throttle and regen curves as well as offering different gearing after you sign a bunch of waivers. So there will be opportunities for tinkering.

They didn't have the production dash in this bike so can't comment on any of that.

My final comment is that a friend of mine who is a Ducati rider also rode the RS yesterday and was beside himself over how amazing the bike was (MM grin?). So for someone with ICE expectations he was blown away. As I mentioned at the top of my post I had incredibly high expectations so my expectations were merely met but that should be taken as a high achievement by the MM crew.

That being said I plunked my money down last night. I am reservation #38 and R-model sequence #17. So that implies 17 R's and 21 RS's have been reserved as of last night.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

So I got a chance to throw a leg over the RS yesterday at the same event as the video that Seegem posted above. There were 4 of us who were given demo rides that day. Three from the local (we're not afraid to buy really expensive motorcycles) Ducati owners group and myself.

Having driven Teslas for almost 3 years my bar was set incredibly high. I truly wanted a 2-wheeled Tesla and despite what the recent article titles have said, I wanted to find out for myself.

So the short version is that the bike met my expectations. There is a bit of neutral throttle surge to deal with (but it may have been me - I would like a stiffer spring and shorter "turn" for track use) but the early Roadsters had the same issues with surging that were resolved through software work on the controllers. So this is not a deal-breaker for me.

The bike is heavy, no doubt about it. But like a Tesla once you're moving the weight melts away. It handles very well. The increase in weight is partially offset by not having the gyroscopic effects of the engine fighting turn-in. I never found myself fighting to get the bike to turn in. A couple times entering really slow corners the bike tried to fall into the corner but I was able to pick it up with the throttle quite easily. The throttle is very smooth and responsive like we've come to love from our cars. Regen and traction control work quite well at public road speeds. A few times I deliberately chopped the throttle mid corner and the rear end did not try to pass me so it passed that test. Like our cars it's very easy to find yourself going much faster than you think you are. In fact, in that video Seegem posted, Adam was pulled over by the police- that's why the video is in two pieces and in the video posted above he's constantly checking his mirrors.

I find the gear whine to be too loud but talking with the MM crew they have decided that this is an MM "signature" and so will retain the straight-cut gears and accompanying loud gear whine. It's still quieter than my ICE of course but I would like it even quieter if there's not an engineering reason for it.

A couple other thoughts…

As mentioned in one of the articles they are changing from on-board chargers to using the motor to charge a la the 1.x Roadsters. This obviates the option of the second charger. All bikes will be configured this way and will allow a 10kW charge rate. They are still figuring out charging logistics but the current plan is to have a couple foot long pigtail cable in the tail of the bike that you can stick plug adapters onto based on what you're plugging into.

The 15kWh bike has the same performance as the 17 but with less weight due to fewer cells. So if you don't need the range go with the 15 to save weight.

Drivetrain/performance is identical between the RS and R15 and R17. RS just has fancier wheels and suspension and more carbon fiber.

Bill will appreciate this with all his MS geometry work… They are using their own swingarm design that allows length adjustment without affecting ride height.

As one of the articles stated the motor is capable of 160ft lbs of torque but the batteries can't generate that much current. If/when battery tech catches up you'll be able to upgrade the batteries and unlock more power.

They will have multiple regen and throttle map presets built in. They are planning to allow riders complete access to the throttle and regen curves as well as offering different gearing after you sign a bunch of waivers. So there will be opportunities for tinkering.

They didn't have the production dash in this bike so can't comment on any of that.

My final comment is that a friend of mine who is a Ducati rider also rode the RS yesterday and was beside himself over how amazing the bike was (MM grin?). So for someone with ICE expectations he was blown away. As I mentioned at the top of my post I had incredibly high expectations so my expectations were merely met but that should be taken as a high achievement by the MM crew.

That being said I plunked my money down last night. I am reservation #38 and R-model sequence #17. So that implies 17 R's and 21 RS's have been reserved as of last night.

AWESOME! How does it physically charge?? J1772 or what?

AWESOME! How does it physically charge?? J1772 or what?
They're still working on the details but the idea is that it will have an umbilical cord under the seat with plug adapters like the UMC and you can plug in whatever adapter you need. 14-50, J1772, etc. They're still working on the switch from using an onboard charger to using the controller/motor so are focusing on that at the moment.

I could have sworn that I read somewhere that the mission rs is supposed to cost about $33,000. Or maybe I am mis-remembering.
The RS (first 40 limited edition - think Signature in Tesla terms) is $59k or $75k if you want top of the line suspension. The R model is $33k, $37k, or $43k depending on battery size.

They quote the R price in the video even though Jay is riding the RS. Maybe they learned from Tesla when all the initial journalists reported the price of the Signature and not the "lesser" models.

Mission Motorcycles