Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mission Motors (formerly Hum Cycles)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, so now we know why Jeremy left TM...
And Martin shows up in the video!

I am getting a little choked up about this product.

The design is bold, different, and intriguing.
The testimonials from the prototype drivers are compelling (in spite of what vfx said).

Now, about that price... gulp...

Too bad they are launching into such lethargic economic conditions right now.

By appearing in the video, seems a rumor starts that Martin is part of the new company. ( Or was it just a guest comment he made )

EVcast #170: How NOT To Sell An Electric Car
Martin Eberhard is coming out with his new EV company, electric superbikes this time, ... update: Eberhard is not listed on the co. webpage

Rescue Detroit Tesla Founders Blog
Martin, do we read the situation correctly, that you are co-founder of that new e-superbike startup?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autobloggreen.com/media/2009/02/mission-front_main.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autobloggreen.com/media/2009/02/mission-side-shot.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autobloggreen.com/media/2009/02/mission-rear-3-4.jpg

Martin clarifies his role:
No, I am only an adviser to the company and a friend of Forrest’s. I am not allowed (by Domestic Management) to ride a motorcycle, so it would make no sense for me to work on developing one
icon_smile.gif

While it may not be hitting the "right emotional chord" with TEDsters, the people who test drove the prototype are humming a nice tune.
Perhaps it's a mixture of the unorthadox styling mixed with the fact that most TEDsters aren't two-wheel enthusiasts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops, I just fixed my broswer (can't run adblock and adblock + at the same time) so I can now see the embedded video. I also wanted to try out my newly re-discovered-thanks-to-vfx video embaedding skills. Now if I can get my sound to work, I could listen to them as well.

A Mission to Build the Fastest Electric Motorcycle - Wheels Blog - NYTimes.com

Mission Motors was founded in San Francisco in 2007 by three engineers: Forrest North, who was a battery engineer at Tesla Motors, Edward West and Mason Cabot. The design was the work of Yves Behar of Fuseproject, noted for his work on the One Laptop Per Child program. Mr. Behar took advantage of the absence of a gas tank to reshape the motorcycle, using a honeycomb skin.

Sound like a world changer? Here’s the fine print (located above the online reservation form): “We are now accepting reservations for the Premier Limited Edition of the Mission One, limited to 50 numbered units to be delivered in 2010 … The deposit amount is $5,000, and the sales price is $68,995.”

According to their membership agreement PDF:

http://www.ridemission.com/mission_model/Mission%20Motors%202010%20Membership%20Fee%20Agreement.pdf

Their address is:

Mission Motor Company
Sales Department
P.O. Box 422817
San Francisco, CA 94142

Edit to add: But of course, I see that you were really looking for a street address, not a P.O. Box. The best I have been able to come up with is a bunch of articles which mention an office on Mission Street in San Francisco.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/353/2498/Motorcycle-Article/Mission-One-Electric-Superbike-Revealed.aspx

Formerly known as Hum Cycles, Mission Motor has rebranded with the debut of its new design, taking its name from its office location on San Francisco’s Mission Street.

Last edited:
Start-ups are racing to get electric motorbikes to market - Los Angeles Times

45608706.jpg

"It's amazing how inefficient the vehicles we're driving today really are," said Forrest North, founder and chief executive of Mission Motor Co., a San Francisco company that unveiled the prototype for its 150-mph, 150-mile-range electric motorcycle at the Technology, Entertainment, Design conference in Long Beach last month. "Electricity is just so many orders of magnitude more efficient that it's the only way to go," said North, a former mechanical designer for Tesla and leader of Stanford University's solar car team in the mid-1990s.

Like many EV entrepreneurs, North, 33, had looked into hydrogen and biodiesel as power sources but found them impractical. Hydrogen is abundant, but turning it into fuel and developing a distribution infrastructure are costly. Biodiesel can take more energy to produce than it generates.

With electricity, the infrastructure already exists: Electrical outlets are abundant. Battery technology is also improving about 8% each year, North said, allowing bikes to easily upgrade once the chemistry comes along. Already, electric two-wheelers get the equivalent of about 300 to 500 miles per gallon. As technologies improve, they'll be able to generate even more energy with less weight and cost.

Billed as "the world's fastest production electric sport bike," Mission's debut product is called the Mission One. It is scheduled to ship in early 2010, at an estimated retail price of $68,000 -- most of which is attributable to a large lithium-ion battery pack designed to compete with a gas-powered, performance-oriented sport bike.