Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missouri bans sales of Tesla starting 1 Jan 17

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Michigan and Virginia have been trouble and they are not red. New York has even been a pain.

This is not a color issue. It is a "car dealer's have power" issue which may be slightly more common in red states but is certainly not universal. The posturing just inflames people and is free advertising to Tesla. Makes people want them more...
Slightly more common? Take a peek at a map of Red states and compare it to a map of states blocking Tesla. They are almost identical, with a very few exceptions. Of course this should be no surprise. Saying the GOP is the party of business is really saying it is the party of the established businesses, i.e., the party of the Chambers of Commerce. And before you make a wrong assumption, I'm not a Democrat.

Reactions: ColBatGuano
I have written my representative. Why is this not more in the news? This is the first I have heard of this.
I am disgusted at our legislators.. If this sticks I will do everything in my power to make sure this is their LAST term in this state. Truly disgusting.

Last edited:
It's official. Just got the call from my OA that they will not be able to deliver my vehicle 1/3/17 and are being shut down tomorrow. We are gonna try and get it sorted out to take delivery today but man this is BS! I'm not the best at articulating my thoughts but would love to give my rep a piece of my mind. Mobe, can you share your letter or would someone be willing to draft a letter that we can submit? #SeriouslyPissedOff

It's official. Just got the call from my OA that they will not be able to deliver my vehicle 1/3/17 and are being shut down tomorrow. We are gonna try and get it sorted out to take delivery today but man this is BS! I'm not the best at articulating my thoughts but would love to give my rep a piece of my mind. Mobe, can you share your letter or would someone be willing to draft a letter that we can submit? #SeriouslyPissedOff
Doh! Are they rerouting delivery across state line?

Texas dealer protection laws, the strongest in the country, date back to the 1950's when it was a one party state-- of Democrats.
Then both parties found out it was a great way to keep their hand in the cookie jar...

I'm sure Tesla will figure out a workaround (that will be a great inconvenience to customers), but it will take them a while to work through the details. It's probably difficult for them to adjust all the paperwork, etc with a few days notice.

Reactions: Ahisaac

Relax mate - It's going to be ok. Tesla immediately filed an appeal to the Missouri Court of Appeals to issue a stay of the trial court’s decision, on the grounds to "prevent an immediate and unnecessary loss of jobs, tax revenue, consumer convenience, and consumer choice for Missouri-based customers and the public good.” So, given the filing and weekend (today) or Tuesday morning (yes, it's the 3-JAN) decision to stay the lower court ruling until the Court of Appeals makes a decision. So, stay tight with your DS and drink a little...it's New Year's!

Reactions: Sully's8
Umm....when the OA calls and says they are being shut down as of 1/1/17 and that they have been told to cease any and all operations.
Relax mate - It's going to be ok. Tesla immediately filed an appeal to the Missouri Court of Appeals to issue a stay of the trial court’s decision, on the grounds to "prevent an immediate and unnecessary loss of jobs, tax revenue, consumer convenience, and consumer choice for Missouri-based customers and the public good.” So, given the filing and weekend (today) or Tuesday morning (yes, it's the 3-JAN) decision to stay the lower court ruling until the Court of Appeals makes a decision. So, stay tight with your DS and drink a little...it's New Year's!

Another red nanny state trying to "protect us" with less government by banning Tesla sales? This was posted on the Tesla forum also. Missouri can get on the electric train and get some sales taxes, or watch the train leave the station... and be left behind

Tesla loses right to sell cars in Missouri after the state rejects its dealership license renewal, may have to close its stores
This was the result of a single judge ruling on a suit brought by the car dealers association. It has exactly zero to do with the R or D coloring the state. It wasn't legislation.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Texas dealer protection laws, the strongest in the country, date back to the 1950's when it was a one party state-- of Democrats.
Then the Democrats and the Republicans swapped a whole bunch of key positions in the 60s. I consistently think it's unfair to judge a party for anything done more than 30 years ago, since that's plenty of time for leadership and positions to change places. Go look at party platforms from the 1960s and 1970s. There are some weird positions on there that don't match our current views of the parties.

Umm....when the OA calls and says they are being shut down as of 1/1/17 and that they have been told to cease any and all operations.

I think I understand your point. Flow of information or lack thereof is a culprit here. I custom ordered my car on one day and then Tesla announced a few weeks later that they were discontinuing the MS P90D. I called my DS and asked WTF, and he's like "we don't know until Corporate tells us". I responded with a "ahh, you guys were all over me to buy a car before end of quarter and calling me every other day...I buy one, and I don't hear jack from you...and then two major annoucements (P90D discontinuance and AP2 HW release) I learned about via media outlets...again, WTF...why am I not hearing about this from you (DS) directly...it is a $140k plus car, right?" I got a free T-shirt...ha ha ha

But I digress: Tesla's lobby firm (who I met back in October when they held a legislative event at the Tysons Corner / Tyco Rd SC prior to the VA DMV Commissioner's favorable ruling) are tracking on this along with Tesla's Legal Counsel, so none of this (specifically the ruling right on the last work day of the year) should have caught them by surprise; hence the appeal request. But, let's say I'm wrong...well, Missouri's screwed. That's not very positive, is it?

Thank goodness for AI and voice dictation, because this would normally be sucking the life out of me if i had to type (j).