TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Missouri EV registration fees

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by zdre, Jan 30, 2013.

1. zdre

zdre 40kWh Model S P6415

After finalizing, I decided to figure out the actual registration fees for the Model S in Missouri because the number on my pre-MVPA didn't look right.
    If you have your car registered already, please comment on what you actually had to pay.

Here are my initial findings:

Fees due at initial registration only:
    $8.50 title fee (http://dor.mo.gov/motorv/buying.php)
    $2.50 title processing fee

Fees due at initial registration and every year after:
    $3.50 1-yr Special fuel decal processing fee
    $75.00 1-yr Special fuel decal fee (http://dor.mo.gov/motorv/decals.php)

$3.50 1-yr registration processing fee (can also pay $7.00 for 2 year registration)
    $21.25 1-yr registration fee for 12 - 23 taxable HP (can also pay $42.50 for 2 year registration) (http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C300-399/3010000070.HTM section 3)

Total due at initial registration
    $114.25 or $139.00 if registering for 2 years

Total due yearly
    $103.25

2. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Interesting, I still haven't gotten my tags (it's been almost 2 months since I got my car). I didn't know there was a "Special Fuel Decal Fee"....does that special fuel decal get us any benefits, or is it just an EV tax?

*edit:
    Found the info: Special Fuel Decals
    it's an alternate tax since we don't pay fuel taxes.

Plus you have to put a 3 1/2" square sticker on your window...yuck.

3. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

The tax man will get his due.

Liz and I were comparing Illinois with Missouri this weekend. All I can say is that while I'm smiling now, my state is horribly broke and I'm probably going to be crying in a year or so.

4. bluefuego

bluefuego Member

The special fuel decal makes sense; I mean I'm still using the roadways... but it sure would be nice if MO offered some kind of incentive. :mad:

Thanks for compiling all of that info zdre.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

So, I replied to this post while in my car waiting for my kids. Got home to a letter from the Missouri DMV asking for additional information on the, you guessed it, Special Fuel Decal form! They also wanted a copy of my insurance and personal property tax paid receipt. It wasn't clear if the fee had already been paid or not, the form had the price list, so I included a check and a note to destroy it if already paid...didn't want to delay the [now 2 month long] process any longer than I had to.