Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missouri Supercharger routes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Cottonwood - Some destination charging in Columbia, MO would be great. The problem at this point is that there isn't any, and it's a lot of work to try to get a location to add some when a Supercharger is supposedly on the way. That said, anyone willing to work with local area establishments around Columbia, MO to add some destination charging, go for it! I would love to have some options for charging my Volt in Columbia (if they install J1772). :p

@Cottonwood - Some destination charging in Columbia, MO would be great. The problem at this point is that there isn't any, and it's a lot of work to try to get a location to add some when a Supercharger is supposedly on the way. That said, anyone willing to work with local area establishments around Columbia, MO to add some destination charging, go for it! I would love to have some options for charging my Volt in Columbia (if they install J1772). :p

The TigerHotel now does have HPWCs providing destination charging. It is unclear yet if they'll allow commuters to use the charger (maybe for a small fee?).

View attachment 76933

This is one way to get from Saint Louis to Kansas City... Showing 6.2 Travel via SuperChargers! :) Oh Columbia... Where art thou, my Columbia... To be fair - I was calculating this with a 90% SOC... Just for fun.

Edit: Charged to 100% - still wasn't enough to make it... Guess that's why we have the West, West, West County destination gateway home charger in Wentzville. (Thanks Liz!!)

As they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

I am driving from Las Vegas to Springfield, Illinois Via I-70 in July. I will take a side trip off of I-70 in Columbia going North on Hwy 63 to Laplata, MO.
I was informed today the owner of the DEPOT INN & SUITES in Laplata (located on Santa Fe RR) is installing a Telsa SUPERCHARGER. Keep in mind this is 81 miles North of Columbia. Seems the owner of the Depot Inn in Laplata is from California and owns a Tesla. They have applied and Tesla has granted them a 2 bay supercharger. Please understand, this is what I was told by the hotel manager, I insisted it was not a Tesla Supercharger at first and then she told me about the owners owning a Tesla. So take this for hearsay at this point. I have no connection with the hotel other than a paying guest. I will then drive to Wentzville to continue my journey.

I am driving from Las Vegas to Springfield, Illinois Via I-70 in July. I will take a side trip off of I-70 in Columbia going North on Hwy 63 to Laplata, MO.
I was informed today the owner of the DEPOT INN & SUITES in Laplata (located on Santa Fe RR) is installing a Telsa SUPERCHARGER. Keep in mind this is 81 miles North of Columbia. Seems the owner of the Depot Inn in Laplata is from California and owns a Tesla. They have applied and Tesla has granted them a 2 bay supercharger. Please understand, this is what I was told by the hotel manager, I insisted it was not a Tesla Supercharger at first and then she told me about the owners owning a Tesla. So take this for hearsay at this point. I have no connection with the hotel other than a paying guest. I will then drive to Wentzville to continue my journey.

Because even a 2-bay Supercharger requires a dedicated 225 Amp, 480-Volt, 3-Phase service, Laplata, MO is not on any major intersections or routes, and the standard "Destination Charging" recommendation from Tesla is to install a pair of HPWC's, I would bet that this is is a Destination Charging site with a pair of HPWC's. This is a common mistake.

Destination Charging is still very welcome! Enjoy your trip!

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Tesla's Find Us page shows an 80 amp HPWC at the Yates House B&B in Rocheport, MO, which is just west of Columbia (or was this mentioned already and I just missed it?).

First I've seen that - looks relatively new...

Tesla and Electric Vehicle Charging at Yates House

We’ve installed an 80 amp Tesla Destination Charger for Tesla automobiles and a 40 amp ClipperCreek Charger for other EV’s. Our electrically powered guests can now come to Yates House and recharge their batteries in more ways than one. Complimentary vehicle charging for overnight guests. Charging fee for non-overnight guests.

Just grinding my axe....
55K+ miles on my Model S S85 and I've made the Nixa, MO to St. Louis round trip at least 10 times over the past 2 1/2 years. But as battery degradation sets in it has become apparent that it is impractical to make that trip in the Model S any more until they install a Supercharger between Springfield, MO and St. Louis on I-44. Why this part of the country (and especially Arkansas) are being so completely neglected is beyond me. I made the trip North (they easier run due to tail winds and a slight elevation drop) with a 45+ minute stop at the Greenstay HPWC (about 24 MPH charge rate) in St. James with about 22 miles of range left. Coming home I didn't have time for a stop longer than about 20-30 minutes and, despite driving 60-65MPH and drafting big rigs for a short time AND raising the AC temp to 78 I arrived home with just 5 miles of range.

I've emailed the supercharger people at Tesla innumerable times and keep being told that it will be in 2016 (despite the maps showing 2015 for ages). It takes me 4-4.5 hours now to do a trip that should be 3 1/2 hours. One 15-20 min. supercharger top up would make this trip a breeze. I'm getting very frustrated with this (maybe not rightly so, but frustrated none the less). This I-44 run from St. Louis to Tulsa should be a higher priority (along with a means to get to Memphis from Missouri, Arkansas and Oklahoma).

I'm with you, Evan. It's clear that Tesla was focusing on the x0 and x5 Interstates and neglecting some of the other critical connecting routes (I-44, I-24). I had no luck in getting some attention to the missing elements, and I was told they're following their plan.

I hope one day one goes into St. Joe on I-29. I noticed on PlugShare there is already a chargepoint at the Hy-vee there but with the recent partnership in Iowa I wonder if that may become a thing in other locations. For example the Hy-vee in Shawnee, KS has a KCP&L charging station but I wonder if it could change branding, too.

We had a recent discussion in the KC Tesla FB group (Log into Facebook | Facebook) about the KC to Omaha route. A member with a 90D was getting warnings from the car that he wasn't going to make it to Council Bluffs with a full charge starting from Overland Park, KS (SW KC area). He ended up borrowing my CHAdeMO adapter to top up at the St. Joe's Hy-Vee which made the trip doable at reasonable speeds and heat settings in late December/early January. This seems to speak to the need for a SC somewhere on the I-29 corridor. I doubt a 60D would even have a chance with these temps. I see no such listing on the current 2017 Tesla expansion map.

Reactions: efusco