Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mistake ordering 19” wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just placed my order for the LR AWD blue PUP with EAP and 19” wheels. (Estimate delivery Oct-Dec). I am wondering if I made a “mistake”in ordering the 19”wheels. I know the 18”with the aero covers have the added benefit of being able to use the aero covers for the added range and then take them off for the nice wheels underneath....but I just really love the look of the 19”. But here in Canada it is a $2,000 option for the 19”

I am now second guessing. Thoughts? Too late to change ?

Reactions: Snerruc
You can hit edit order and make a change if you want.

Personally, if I had to choose between 18s and 19s, I'd choose the 19s due to looks, but many people are more practical and would rather get the 18s. It's really a personal choice.

Reactions: Carrera
Well I think the C$2000 they charge is too much for the 19" wheels and all-season tires.

I can get lighter (in weight) aftermarket 19" wheels and summer tires for around C$2300, and I get to keep the 18" aero wheels and all-season tires that come with the car.

If you find some aftermarket wheels you like, do the math and decide. There's still time to edit your order.

Well I think the C$2000 they charge is too much for the 19" wheels and all-season tires.

I can get lighter (in weight) aftermarket 19" wheels and summer tires for around C$2300, and I get to keep the 18" aero wheels and all-season tires that come with the car.

If you find some aftermarket wheels you like, do the math and decide. There's still time to edit your order.
Are those tires as good as the tires Tesla offers with the 19's?

It’s more than $1500 USD or $2000 CDN over the life of the car due to the tires being more expensive as well.

I hated the aeros at the final reveal, but then they grew on me, and now I like them better. They look better in person than in photos, although that’s true for the sport wheels too...

You could get the Sport wheels with the car, and then get the Aero wheel winter set. I’ve run two sets of wheels for a decade and am never going back to using summer/all seasons in the winter. Nothing beats proper winter tyres.

Also, it means not having to choose; you get to have both sets of rims and run them each for half the year! Running the aeros in winter will also help offset the cold weather efficiency drop.

Reactions: Gen3
I keep going back and forth on this in my mind too. I like the look of the 19s better, but the 18s look pretty good with the Aero covers off, which is how I would drive it most of the time, and only pop the aeros on for road trips. Also could powder-coat the 18s to make them silver or white, and I think that would pop.

Reactions: slipnslider
I went back and forth for a while but then decided I love the look of the 19” with the MSM color. I plan to run winter tires so I will likely buy 18” wheels for that purpose. I need to do a bit more research into this to figure out if having more tire is a real benefit or not. In terms of comfort, the 19s are far more comfortable than I expected.

I keep going back and forth on this in my mind too. I like the look of the 19s better, but the 18s look pretty good with the Aero covers off, which is how I would drive it most of the time, and only pop the aeros on for road trips. Also could powder-coat the 18s to make them silver or white, and I think that would pop.

Yes that would be cool. I have seen a blue tesla with Blue Aero colors :)

Well, now this is embarrassing. My order is not even 24 hours old, the car is scheduled for Oct - Dec, 2018, and I have already changed my order 2 times. Just changed the wheels back to the 19 sport wheels!
How long will this go on? Help me stop the madness!
o_O

I went with the 18" rims to keep as my winter set.. then got these as my summers.
20180529_220210.jpg

Well, now this is embarrassing. My order is not even 24 hours old, the car is scheduled for Oct - Dec, 2018, and I have already changed my order 2 times. Just changed the wheels back to the 19 sport wheels!
How long will this go on? Help me stop the madness!
o_O
When you changed your wheels, did Tesla update your order date (after June 30) to cause you to lose the free Premium Internet connectivity?