Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MIT Technology Review: Can Tesla Survive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know one thing that Tesla has going for them, the design of their cars is beautiful. I cant really say that about other electric cars.
Hey, my Zap Xebra was a beautiful car!

Attachments

• DSCF0006.JPG
    DSCF0006.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 575
Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder.
So true! :smile:

A few years ago Zap-X was going to be an EV crossover hit. Unfortunately, it crossed over into Neverland. :crying:
Zap was never a reliable company. They had such a reputation for vaporware that everyone in the know was flabbergasted when they actually brought the Xebra to market. And it was not well-designed or well built. My dealer (Grant's Pass Electric Vehicles in Oregon) was one of the best, because Sean drove every Xebra for a couple of hundred miles before selling it, so he could find and fix most of the problems in each individual car. But once he did that, it was a surprisingly reliable car, and fun to drive.

The Zap-X was just another one of Zap's usual vaporware cars. I don't believe they ever had any real intention of building it. Another vaporware car from Zap, which I liked even more, was the Obvio. It looked to me like the car Roger Rabbit would have driven. I really wanted that car. Zap did a booming business in manipulating its own share price through such announcements as the Zap X and the Obvio.

But they did good bringing the Xebra to market when there was just about nothing else available other than a ten-year-old Rav4EV (for $60,000 used) or a one-seat Corbin Sparrow with a 20-mile range and a poor reliability reputation.

I see your beautiful Zap has been replaced by a dolphin. :)
That's because the Xebra itself has been replaced with Roadster number 1117. And because I really like the dolphin picture. That's me with the dolphin, and after five or six trips to swim with the dolphins, this was the first really good picture of me with one of them.

So true Another vaporware car from Zap, which I liked even more, was the Obvio. It looked to me like the car Roger Rabbit would have driven. I really wanted that car. Zap did a booming business in manipulating its own share price through such announcements as the Zap X and the Obvio.

Zap Xebra built in China. Obvio! built in Brazil. Looks like Obvio! never built their EV, so ZAP couldn't import it. So don't know if it's ZAP vaporware, or Obvio!'s.

What you say about the Obvio is true. But it doesn't change Zap's unflattering history. Still, the little Xebra (my garden-pest green, three-legged clown car) was fun and surprisingly reliable. I don't much respect Zap as a company, but I sure am glad they sold me that little car. It's the reason I was able to drive electric before the Roadster went into production.