Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mitsubishi admits it may have faked mileage tests for 625,000 vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

S'toon

Knows where his towel is
Apr 23, 2015
AB
Mitsubishi Motors Corp. said Wednesday says it found evidence its employees intentionally falsified fuel mileage test data for several models of vehicles.

The Tokyo-based automaker said Wednesday that the inaccurate tests involved 157,000 of its own-brand eK wagon and eK Space light passenger cars, and 468,000 Dayz Roox vehicles produced for Nissan Motor Co. All vehicles included have been produced since mid-2013.

Worldwide, Mitsubishi sold about a million vehicles last year.

The problem was found after Nissan pointed out inconsistencies in data, the company said. Mitsubishi conducted an internal probe and found that tire pressure data was falsified to make mileage appear better than it actually was.

<snip>
Full story at:
Mitsubishi workers intentionally falsified fuel mileage tests, automaker admits

Other reports say 5 - 10% over-estimate.
Mitsu will pay to play, but I am more annoyed by the company decision to blame employees rather than take corporate responsibility.

Actually, this story reminded me that I stopped buying Mitsu two decades ago after I learned that the corporation had been selling rebadged Hyundais without disclosure. Sounds like their senior management still stinks.

No news is good news. Unfortunately for Mitsubishi, there is news:
Mitsubishi: We've been cheating on fuel tests for 25 years

Paraphrasing: "The engineers submitted fuel consumption data based on calculation rather than real-world testing, which is required by the transport ministry's regulations."

That's the most important takeaway from this video for me. Everyone dupes their testing, however submitting completely fictional numbers is a different deal. "Completely fictional" in that I assume they have used very favourable conditions for their calculations.