Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mitsubishi Motors i MiEV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be nice if I could at least find their car on their own website. I can't request a quote from mitsubishi or even see the i-MiEV on their website - Build & Price Cars, Crossovers & the 100% Electric i-MiEV / Mitsubishi Motors

Sadly the iMiEV is supposed to be available in this state but I can't do any research about it. I am mostly looking at hearsay for stats and information. This is annoying as I do need to replace a car this year.

On Mitsubishi's website click "upcoming vehicles" at the bottom of the vehicles tabs for more info. Its probably at least 2-3 weeks before you can buy a 2014 with the new price cut, maybe longer. I know they have been having trouble ramping up battery production which delayed the launch of their Outlander plug-in.

At the new price point, they will definitely sell a few of iMiev's. The iMiev is poorly suited to be an only car for most people, but if you are looking for a second car to be your daily commuter, and have a short enough commute (30-40 miles round trip, depending on climate), it could be a pretty viable option, particularly in states with additional EV rebates. I personally would still not buy one, as I have a long commute, think the car is ugly, and barely fit inside one, but I am sure that there are others who it would work pretty well for.

Hopefully Mitsubishi starts to see some success with their EV efforts. They are one of the few players in the EV market who choose to build an EV because they wanted to, not because they needed CARB credits, so it is hard not to root for them.

^^^
BTW, even though the i-Miev is a sales disaster in the US doesn't mean it is globally. Global Sales of Mitsubishi i-MiEV Exceed 33,000 Units; EV Enters Malaysia as Countrys First Production Electric Vehicle should make it in the top 5 BEVs sold in the world, if not #3, partly helped by the Peugot and Citroen re-badged versions.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV now priced ridiculously low at $22,995, before incentives was another thing on the price cut.

2014 Mitsubishi i-MiEV: Arriving At Dealers, Updated, Cheaper and a few other sources say the price-reduced '14s are finally arriving at dealers.

The I-MiEV is a city car only. Very sensitive to speed vs. range. At urban speeds it has about 65 miles of range, increase to 55 mph and you are looking at 50 miles range. It's narrow and tall so road feel at high speed isn't pleasant. Winter range with the heater running will drop another 10% off the range. That being said, if you use it for what it was designed for it does the job nicely. I have both the MS and a I-MiEV. I have noticed some others on this forum also have both. The styling is subjective (ugly?) but it is determined more by packaging then anything else. I don't understand how anyone who owns a MS would think you could "barely fit inside one". It is far easier to get in and out of, has more headroom and reasonable legroom. As it is narrower, the shoulder room is less but it isn't like you are right up against the passenger. It is very easy to park with a tight turning radius--it even has guide lines on the backup camera (hint for Tesla?). Visibility is very good due to narrow "A" pillars. Even at it's small size, it can carry a lot of cargo. I once brought home a full sized clothes dryer in the back with the hatch closed. I wouldn't even consider trying something like that with the Tesla because I wouldn't want to damage the car and it wouldn't fit anyway. I don't worry about parking lot rash, parking away from other vehicles, buying paint protection, etc. The whole car after rebates and federal tax credits costs less than a minor repair on the Tesla. Don't get me wrong, I love my Tesla, but if I just need to run down to the big box store to pick up a couple of cans of paint and a bag of fertilizer you know it will be the I-MiEV taking the trip. As Rifleman says, "The iMiev is poorly suited to be an only car for most people" is probably correct for anyone that doesn't live in a urban environment. But if you don't and have a ICE car for a backup and just want to get your feet wet in EV's, it's a great, cheap starting point. If you drive it around 1000 miles per month, the car will pay for itself entirely in energy cost savings.

In which year will Mitsubishi Motors announce/present/unveil the 2nd generation model of the Mitsubishi i-MieV?

It has been on the market for 5 years now. And other car manufacturers have introduced their EV's as well.

Wouldn't 2016 be a great year to do that?

In which year will Mitsubishi Motors announce/present/unveil the 2nd generation model of the Mitsubishi i-MieV?

It has been on the market for 5 years now. And other car manufacturers have introduced their EV's as well.

Wouldn't 2016 be a great year to do that?

doubt it, Mitsu priority
Outlander PHEV (dual electric axle)
Outlander ASX PHEV (single electric axle, voltage boosted, new gen motor and engine)
Pajero PHEV (more conventional design)

You were right, there will be no second-generation Mitsubishi i-MieV.

"Conversely, the company has no plans for a new sedan as well as no new i-MiEV successor is in the near future."

Link: http://insideevs.com/all-electric-o...ectrified-suvs-mitsubishi-will-launch-in-u-s/

However, they may still work on another small/cheap EV with Nissan:

Nissan, Mitsubishi To Team Up On Ultra Affordable Electric Car

But I don't know if that is still in progress and/or if this will be a Japan-only "kei car / K-Car".