Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mitsubishi Motors i MiEV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the big unknown which I cannot find any good information on. What is the manufacturing cost of a glider?

From what I know the Mitsubishi i ,which the imiev is based on, costs roughly $11k as a gasoline car, so it's pretty inexpensive even if they buy the whole car and rip out the gas engine. The gas car is already in mass production so it shouldn't be too expensive and it's based on their own car so they save even more money.

I have a hard time believing ~$45k doesn't cover their costs. If this is true, then this doesn't bode well for the Volt, which has the same size battery but in a base car that costs $17k, has a range extender, and a whole new interior and exterior design.

I believe the expensive price are partly from the Japanese market traditionally being higher cost, the two tax incentives allowing them to sell it at a higher price, low initial volume of EV components, and recouping R&D costs.

Last edited:
Except they aren't exactly using cutting edge technology for the drive train as far as I can tell. Electric motor and controller, a BMS for the battery which is probably just voltage and temperature sensing, what's the big deal?

Offhand I agree but there have been a lot of automakers, large and small who dive into the whole EV space with that attitude making announchments and hoopla and (so far) have ended up with egg on their faces. (insert list here)

It's probably the difference between making a car yourself and being perfectly happy with all the "you have to jiggle the handle" problems as an owner with the same issues being totally unacceptable for a release to market vehicle.

I believe that is why Toyota is dragging their feet on EVs. They do not want to release a car that is not bulletproof and EVs (to them) are still too cutting edge for brainless operation.

The whole idea of having a 17K Electric car in the same decision pool as a 45K and an 80K car is thrilling!

The scary part is it sounds like they are keeping the name.

M-eye-EEE.?

MeeeV?

Eye Mev?

M eye EE Veee

How many millions did Hyundai spend on teaching us how to say their name (and it's still pronounced differently across the pond).

Not that bad looking...
10_i-miev-580c.jpg

In addition to a reservation with Tesla, I have a deposit with Mitsubishi for a UK iMiEV which I may get the opportunity to buy Q2 2010.

So far I have no official indication of price. I have seen speculation on prices all over the map.

Next week I will try to speak to someone in Mitsubishi Motors UK to get an official view on price, and where I may fall in line. (On that topic it seems Mitsubishi like lots of other vendors of EVs "available" in the UK much prefer to sell/lease to local government. There are likely to be late 2009 deliveries of iMiEV to the UK but my dealer says they are all allocated to local councils. The same pattern seems to apply to SMART ED.)

Andrew

Pretty good review, except for the "green" charging nonsense at the end. They ignored the fact that even recharging from "dirty" sources is still greener than any ICE.
Yeah, I agree. Wouldn't be "hard" for me to be truly green. I just plug it in at home. Why not mention that NO gasoline is green? NOBODY makes their own clean gasoline at home. But you CAN make your own green electricity right at home.

The other tiny flaw (and really, on whole, this was a great vid!) he talks about the AC, power windows and CD player, and says that using them much will severely reduce the range. The AC will have some impact - the rest you'd never notice. But that's a nit.

The article says:
"And it is nippy around town. It does 0-62mph in less than 14 seconds – great for an electric."

OK, first of all, "nippy" (as a Britishism for "fast") sounds peculiar to us yanks. When I first read that I thought they must mean that the A/C is stuck on.

Secondly, who says "0-62 in 14 seconds" is zippy/nippy? Hasn't Tesla proven that EVs should make no excuses for performance. 14 seconds is lame acceleration for any kind of roadworthy vehicle.

Article: "It has the same boot space as the petrol and the same Tardis-like interior, with room for four adults and luggage."

So does "Tardis like" imply "bigger than it seems from the outside", or "lots of odd looking manual controls with plenty of bits that like to fall off, and the need for a good kick to work properly"? :eek: (maybe they include a "jelly-baby holder")

By the way, the iEV would seem to be competition for not just Th!nk, but also Smart cars, and other EVs from Zap and Miles.

Well, you must have been very unlucky to find this review. This one is much better althoug it als uses the word "zippy" but fortunately at the very end in the tech description.
Road Tests: Mitsubishi iMiEV Test Drive
I suppose the iMiEV is a great eco-alternative to Smart and all town cars. I'd like to have one myself.

Well, you must have been very unlucky to find this review. This one is much better althoug it als uses the word "zippy" but fortunately at the very end in the tech description.
Road Tests: Mitsubishi iMiEV Test Drive
I suppose the iMiEV is a great eco-alternative to Smart and all town cars. I'd like to have one myself.
Ya know what? Ignore the acceleration specs. The car DOES feel "zippy." That's around town though where the torque at low speed makes it feel quite a bit faster than any ICE vehicle in it's class. Zippy is a pretty good description, IMO. The Tesla might be "blistering." The iMIEV is "zippy." Especially compared to the GEMS!

Mitsubishi’s $50,000 Electric Car Makes Drivers Sweat: Review

Mitsubishi’s $50,000 Electric Car Makes Drivers Sweat: Review - Bloomberg.com

Mitsubishi’s $50,000 Electric Car Makes Drivers Sweat: Review

Sept. 8 (Bloomberg) -- Imagine ruling the highway with a car that revs like a medieval beast unleashed from hell, pulls 400 miles on a full tank, with the air-conditioner on full blast. Alas, the Mitsubishi i-MiEV is nothing like that.

Quite the opposite. The electric car is so quiet, it’s almost sedate. Without an engine, you don’t get that shuddering growl when you turn the ignition key or any rumble when you step on the accelerator to overtake rivals. Thank goodness for less noise, the civic-minded among us might say.

And certainly, i-MiEV’s benign quality jibes with the car’s green credentials (“Run With Zero CO2,” goes the advertisement, “the future chosen by Mitsubishi Motors.”)

Clean, correct and conscientious -- if a bit dull.

You would think the automaker that gave us bad-boy, road- wrecking machines like the Lancer Evolution X (with turbocharged four- cylinder engine and 300 pound-feet of torque) would make i-MiEV more exciting. And at 4.6 million yen ($50,000), almost the same price as the Evo, a driver should really be guaranteed fun and functionality -- or his money back.

No such luck.

The i-MiEV is modeled on Mitsubishi’s 0.66-liter “i” minicar, which is as round and bubbly as a Nissan Cube is boxy. It also has the same plastic-and-fabric interior as the $11,000 minicar. What makes i-MiEV almost five times as expensive is its lithium-ion battery, which isn’t produced in large enough quantities yet to offset development and other investment costs.

Since it doesn’t have a back-up gasoline engine like hybrids, one wonders: how far can this car really go?

Charged Battery

When I hopped in to test the car, I noticed the fuel gauge on the dashboard said the battery was fully charged. Yet instead of the 160-kilometer (99-mile) maximum driving distance advertised by Mitsubishi, the indicator read “83 km.”

That was with just the fan running. When I pushed the “max” air-con button, the number dropped further to 63. Having to trade air-con comfort for range is especially painful in Tokyo’s humid summer heat. In the i-MiEV, you might just have to keep your cool if you want to reach your destination.

Mitsubishi Motors Corp. spokesman Kai Inada blamed the mismatch between the advertised and the actual range on the i- MiEV’s previous user, who might have accelerated for long spurts, draining the battery. The car’s computer then assumed I would do the same and calculated I could only cover 83 km on a full charge. Even so, Inada readily said the car rarely achieves the maximum driving distance.

Instant Acceleration

Once the car gets moving, acceleration is instant and gets to 60 kilometers- from 40 kilometers-per-hour 30 percent faster than the gasoline-powered i -- all without a rumble. It also has a top speed of 130 kmph. While that pales against a Porsche 911 Turbo’s 312 kmph, it is nothing to sniff at.

Ideally, driving should be a fun and stress-free experience. When the traffic is light and the weather fair, your mind should be free to wander. No chance of that with the i- MiEV; behind its wheel, mine was consumed with what’s showing on the dashboard.

Obsessing over the battery’s juice wouldn’t be necessary had a charger been readily available at a 7-Eleven or Tully’s Coffee. That’s just not the case; there isn’t a comprehensive public infrastructure yet in place for charging up electric cars.

That became a real problem for Keisuke Tanaka, who has been driving a company-owned i-MiEV since August 3 to visit the eight convenience stores he supervises for Lawson Inc. in Tokyo.

Tanaka said he was once stranded with a near-dead battery in the middle of making his rounds and had to switch to a Toyota Vitz compact for the rest of the day.

As for the driving experience, he said he likes the car’s quiet ride and instant acceleration, “which feels like a car with 2-liter horsepower.”

Then came the big question: would he pay for an i-MiEV?

“Unless the price comes down and the range reaches about 300 kilometers, I wouldn’t jump to buy one,” he said.

Neither would I.

The 2009 Mitsubishi i-MiEV at a Glance

Power source: Lithium-ion battery.

Driving range on a full charge: 99 miles; 62 with A/C on.

Battery charge time: 7 hours with a 200-volt charger.

Transmission: One speed.

Price as tested: 4.6 million yen.

Best features: Zero-emission driving, instant acceleration.

Worst features: Price, limited driving range.

Target buyers: Environmentally conscious early adaptors bored with the Prius who have a power outlet in the garage.

(Makiko Kitamura writes about the auto industry for Bloomberg News. Opinions expressed are her own.)