Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mitsubishi to Sell Electric Vehicle in US

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DDB

Sep 1, 2006
I came across a quick blurb today, stating that Mitsubishi is developing a small EV for sale about the time Whitestar is supposed to be manufactured. I'm very encouraged, as any competition in this industry may mean prices some of us can afford. We're close, lookout OPEC. ;D

Report: Mitsubishi to Sell Electric Vehicle in US
9 October 2006
Miev
The in-wheel motor is a core element of Mitsubishi’s development direction. Click to enlarge.

AutoWeek reports that Mitsubishi Motors plans to sell a small electric car in the United States. Speaking during a Mitsubishi dealer meeting last week, President Osamu Masuko said the li-ion battery-powered will be launched first in Japan. A hybrid version of the car also might be available.

In 2005, Mitsubishi announced that it would begin selling electric cars in Japan by 2010. Mitsubishi plans to build its EVs with in-wheel motors and lithium-ion batteries, both of which the company has been working on for several years. Mitsubishi forsees using the Mitsubishi In-wheel motor Electric Vehicle (MIEV) concept in hybrids and fuel cell vehicles as well. (Earlier post.)

Mitsubishi is partnering with Tokyo Electric on developing an electric minicar (earlier post). In January, Mitsubishi introduced the Concept-CT MIEV—an in-wheel gasoline-electric series/parallel hybrid (earlier post) at the Detroit auto show.

The Concept-CT is electric-dominant, obtaining the majority of its drive torque via the electric in-wheel motors, which are powered by a 1.0-liter genset and Li-ion batteries in a conventional series-hybrid configuration. At constant speed, however, the Concept-CT can add engine-powered rear-wheel drive for extra driveability (the parallel-hybrid aspect).

“From an environmental standpoint, we believe the electric car is the way to go because it has zero emissions,” Masuko said here last week at a Mitsubishi dealer meeting. “Fuel cell technology is still off in the future. Diesels are big in Europe but not in Japan and the U.S.”

Masuko did not disclose timing or sales volume targets for the new EV. A detailed announcement about the car is expected shortly.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006/10/report_mitsubis.html#more

Dave

I think they're going to have trouble competing, but I think they have a couple advantages as well.

1.Tesla is ahead of the others having a model already being sold.
2. The older car companies will try to incorporate steel (cheap) frames to lower cost where Tesla will go with bonded frames to save weight.
3. The older car companies will be trying to change older plants to fit, which will be a bit less efficient in the long run that a new, specifically designed production plant.
4. The market is going to grow slowly for a few years before it explodes. Tesla has a chance to gain fame and a following so people think that they're are a premium quality car.

They have a tough row to hoe. Existing companies have billions to throw at the problem and experience in all of the car parts that are common between electric and ICE.

I think Tesla is a company waiting to be sold, no offense to them. I think if they do become a household name a big car company will buy them right up, to the delight of the stockholders. That might be good for us. Think of the Tesla idea with billions of dollars to spend instead of millions. Then I think they really could revolutionize the industry.

IMO Tesla will wait and see how the real world tests pan out, in the hands of a diverse group of clients. See how driving habits and normal everyday use affect their technology. The Tesla is still somewhat of an experiment and they really have no choice but to limit it's distribution to a few key locations. It would be pretty bad if they start dealerships all over the world only to discover that some major design flaw warrants the recall of most cars.

I'm thinking this is their reasoning because it does seem frustrating at first that they don't expand to more areas and only offer the car in the US. Especially seeing how Google purchased youtube for 1.6 billion, you would think they would invest a little more than 60 million into Tesla to build factories, dealerships and certify the Roadster for Europe and Asia.

Everything always seems 2-3 years away.... :-[

Punishment Cars

More details have come through on the Mitsubishi.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/15729981.htm

Note the important specs: top speed 80 MPH, range of 80-100 miles. Literally, it's not as good as the GM EV1 -- except that it does have four seats. Which is nice, but I don't think those two additional seats are going to turn around worldwide perceptions of electric cars.

The Subaru appears to be even less a serious effort.

I think we can lay to rest any fears of a Japanese giant striding across the Pacific and crushing Tesla and their puny White Star. The Japanese are only interested in making punishment cars. In fact. . . I would say the Japanese are fanatical about manufacturing, and when it comes to actually building cars they beat everyone -- but they've never quite got the hang of this whole "innovation" thing.