Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mixed EV household, best charging solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are shortly going to have a mixed EV household with a Tesla and a plug-in hybrid BMW. Presumably if I want to install just a single charger I would put in a J1772 and use the adapter for my Tesla. But I'm considering one of each type of charger. Any thoughts on the ideal solution?

It depends on how often you expect to charge both cars. If you don’t expect to have to charge them both at the same time, one shared J1772 charger will work fine. That’s what we did when I had a Tesla and my wife had a BMW i3. Now we both have Teslas and share a single Tesla wall connector. We don’t drive much so we don’t compete for the wall connector.

Reactions: UncleCreepy
I agree one charger is probably enough. I have a gen2 and a gen3 wall connector for our Model 3, Chevy Bolt and a Zero SR/S and it's a total overkill. The only time I used both wall connectors at the same time was when I wanted to know how warm the cables get at a combined 80 Amps.

As you said, just get a charging station with a J1772 plug. For added convenience, make sure you can reach both car's charge ports.

We've been a two-EV family since 2013, and a "mixed" EV family since 2018 when I got my Model 3. Over the years the two EVs have been 2 LEAFs, a Volt and a LEAF, a Volt and a Model 3, a Bolt and a Model 3, and now a VW ID.4 and a Model 3.

With all those combinations, the only one that presented any real charging challenge was when we had the Volt and my original 2012 LEAF (with a 3.3kW charger). Even when we had 2 LEAFs that needed to both be charged daily, my wife's 2013 LEAF (6.6kW charger) was able to finish charging in about 90 minutes, so I would just swap the plug to mine before bed and let mine charge overnight. But when we got the Volt, that thing charged pathetically slow and sometimes was not done before bed if my wife got home late. So I built a J1772 Hydra (dual-headed J1772 EVSE) which we still use today.

The thing is, once you put a long range EV into the mix, suddenly that capability is not needed. Neither of us need to charge our cars every day, and even without specifically trying to avoid both charging on the same day, it almost never happens that we both charge on the same day anyway (although because we can, we do still occasionally plug both cars in simultaneously).

If we had to, I have zero doubt that we could manage with one charger. In the rare event we both came home and needed to charge, we could both get a day's worth of range in about 90 minutes (even though my EVSE is limited to 30A), meaning we could plug one car in for a few hours, and then just swap the cable to the other vehicle overnight.

So I would certainly at least try to see how you manage with a single J1772 if you think your situation would warrant it (obviously if you do a lot of daily driving and/or both get back late in the evening it may not work). I did buy a second-hand J1772 adapter that I can keep in the garage (mine just stays on "my" J1772 connector) so I also have one in the car itself at all times.

There are a few dual-headed J1772 EVSEs out there, but they are about the same cost as two J1772s, so there's not really a cost benefit to going that route--it's more of a functionality/load sharing thing. But that could be important if you have limited capacity in your panel and/or don't want to run two cable runs.