Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MKBHD Dumps on Tesla’s Yoke Implementation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He’s 100% correct. Yoke is fine. Yoke+Touch button implementation = trash

He also makes an excellent point about tech-forward Tesla evangelists being okay with it, but what does Tesla do when the vehicle gets into the hands of the mass market? I’m guessing we see a round wheel and/or a redesign of the touch controls by Q1 2022.

Elon responded to him in a tweet and simply said “No” to any possibility of a wheel on the S. Let’s hope they at least fix the touch controls. Ugh.

Elon responded to him in a tweet and simply said “No” to any possibility of a wheel on the S. Let’s hope they at least fix the touch controls. Ugh.
Yeah. Getting used to the Yoke is one thing. Getting used to the Yoke and the touch controls is too much to ask of your average target consumer.

If Tesla is actually trying to make cars that people other than Elon would want to buy, they’re going to have to walk this one back.

For aircraft pilots this is easy. Especially fighter pilots, all controls are on stick . We steer planes by little finger. I can't wait, put me back in plane. This will be so much fun. U either love it, or hate it. Sure, there's a learning curve, it will be easy . Just imagine the yoke in an Indy or F1 car. Everything is there, period. Can't wait😁
And I’m pretty sure you have real physical buttons on those planes, right?

Reactions: Maxpilot
I find myself conflicted a lot lately with wanting Tesla to succeed but despising some of their choices like a yoke steering wheel without a non-yoke option. I really wish some other car makers would start actually competing with Tesla. Personally, I hope the yoke fails miserably without hurting the company overall much. Just provide a normal steering wheel option and let consumers buy what they want.

For aircraft pilots this is easy. Especially fighter pilots, all controls are on stick . We steer planes by little finger. I can't wait, put me back in plane. This will be so much fun. U either love it, or hate it. Sure, there's a learning curve, it will be easy . Just imagine the yoke in an Indy or F1 car. Everything is there, period. Can't wait😁
Yeah and just like an F1 car it's 2.88 turns lock to lock. /sarcasm

It's not just that they went with a yoke over a circular steering wheel it's that they went with an improper implementation of the yoke.

In five or more years when FSD is fully legal. Fly by wire will be the steering. Yoke will push forward into dashboard to get out of the riders way. They don't want a turning wheel in front of you. If u look at the video of Beta 9. U see a rotating wheel. That will stop that in the future. Think ten years ahead. Ur car is a rental car with FSD. The yoke will be useless.

In five or more years when FSD is fully legal. Fly by wire will be the steering. Yoke will push forward into dashboard to get out of the riders way. They don't want a turning wheel in front of you. If u look at the video of Beta 9. U see a rotating wheel. That will stop that in the future. Think ten years ahead. Ur car is a rental car with FSD. The yoke will be useless.

Maybe future Teslas will be able to tuck the wheel into the dash and not rotate it when turning, but cars built today will never have that functionality without major hardware changes. With the current steering system it's just not possible to turn the wheels without the steering wheel also turning. This thread is discussing usability problems with current vehicles, not future vehicles.

Reactions: BlackLight
How many times do you turn that yoke more than 90 degrees while flying?

That’s great. Bring the yoke out then. Because you know, FSD Is going to be fully here by the end of 2019, right?

Reactions: Sporty

5 more years, huh? That seems awfully optimistic based on current advancement and what needs to be done in terms of regulation oversight. Speaking of which, do you think that, even when they are successful in getting the government to even allow it to happen they will also at the exact same time allow the removal of the end-user's capability to override the FSD system? That's not how things work. We're decades (at the earlier) of eliminated steering input entirely in any shape or fashion from passenger vehicles... FSD or not.

That said, due to how poorly the yoke was implemented in a production car (read: needs to be boosted so you never cross up your arms) and the fact that it solves zero issues (those claiming you can see better haven't driven one since it now negatively impacts your ability to see the left 1/3rd of the main screen where important aspects reside) I have a feeling we may see government intervention on this stupid little fantasy that became reality ahead of actually properly vetting it's viability and making sure it was implemented in the best way possible.

If anything, this whole yoke experiment that made it into production may do more to hurt the advancement to FSD and the all-important regulation relaxation than help

But hey, it sure looks neat-o gang! /sarcasm

With the yoke being almost universally hated by the public, I wonder what the aftermarket will cook up to fix the problem.
The simple economics of it is that, if someone makes it, it will be expensive. That's the problem when you invest R&D on a part for such a low-production volume vehicle and most owners of said Model S won't seek out a replacement. If I was in the biz I'd rather put the time to engineer pretty much any part for something by Toyota, Ford, GM, etc.

Tesla needed to make this a Plaid-only thing and had options for those not interested. They really crapped the bed on this one and lots of people are turned off by it especially considering there is no factory option for a traditional wheel. You've got the handful or so of fanbois who will buy anything that has Tesla on it but once that 0.003% of the population has theirs Tesla will have a hard time selling them which is directly attributed to this yoke/stalks situation. Sad too because the car is incredible otherwise.

tl;dr People shouldn't be forced to go aftermarket for something as basic as a circular steering wheel. What's next? square wheels & tires and you need to buy aftermarket to have actual functional wheel's/tires too? DO I need to go to JC Whitney for headlights so I can see at night too because a solid front end just looks so radical! Elon's immature fantasies are going to ruin this company.

The yoke ‘buttons’ have no physical features, nor do they move when touched; haptic feedback is obliterated by road vibration. The input wheels are prone to miss input, or make double inputs by accident. It’s far too easy to trigger a ‘button’ accidentally—often when one is forced to change hand position during a tight turn with the yoke.

Two blocks from home, I must make a left followed immediately by a quick right. To help prevent the s*&^-bags behind me from rear-ending me, I must signal early—but where are the blinker ‘buttons?’ They’re on the left spoke, which is currently nearly upside down in the 4 o’clock position. Now that the yoke has forced my arms to cross, which thumb do I use? Which ‘button’ is ‘right’?! And of course, I can’t feel the damned button, because it does’t feel like anything, nor does it move.
When I get to my house, I must swing across the street and back into my driveway. In my 2015 Model S, I never came to a complete stop—it’s not like there are gears that actually shift (that’s one of a thousand joys of driving a Tesla!) so I simply flicked the stalk as I’m swinging ’round and start backing up. But now the direction control is a long swipe on the screen—I can’t feel it, it takes way longer, I usually must look at it. By the time I’ve come to a complete stop and fiddled with the screen, I wasted an order of magnitude more time. But hey, auto ‘shift’ saved me one stalk click when I ‘shifted’ out of park, half an hour ago. Good trade? I think not. (Now imagine eight-point-turns maneuvering out of a real jam, or trying to plough; or negotiate a crowded job site, on fresh dirt, in a CyberTruck, filthy hands in work gloves, with a yoke, and no ‘shift’ stalk. This is how Tesla will lose market share to Ford.)
In the parking lot at the grocery, I’m carefully coming around the corner of parked cars when someone starts aggressively backing up toward me—I lunge for the horn button, but alas: it’s not in the center (what the hell?! the center is always the center!)—oh no…it’s on the right spoke, currently nearly upside down in the 8 o’clock position. Yes I could cover the whole spoke with my hand to trigger the horn, but how, and with which hand? Because of the damned yoke, my arms are crossed. By the time I find it, it’s too late…

This dangerous ergonomic catastrophe has no justification; it was obviously and arrogantly forced to market by Elon Musk without real world testing nor study because he thought it ‘looked cool’; or perhaps he wanted a video game controller, or perhaps an airplane yoke; but in a real world car, in real world traffic, it’s disaster. This is Tesla’s New Coke. (Tesla’s New Yoke, if you will.) But Elon is extremely unlikely to relent. I predict he’ll foist the stalkless yoke on the entire fleet soon. Our sole hope is that someone in the aftermarket is serious about a full replacement for this travesty. If not, my beloved 2015 will likely be my last Telsa.

Full self driving? Yeah, yeah, cool. I love autopilot too, but there are many occasions and specific situations when one either
needs to drive, or simply wants to drive. The stalkless yoke has taken away the simple joy of aimless exploration. “All input is error,” my ass! Doesn’t Elon understand we love the feel of controls?! We love to drive a fine car. This is how Tesla loses market share to Porsche.

Because I love the company, I support the mission, I love my 2015 Model S, I have been fortunate to profit from holding TSLA, and most of all because the 2022 Model S could have been literally perfect, I find this stalkless yoke abortion absolutely heartbreaking. I can no longer recommend the Model S to my friends as I have done so relentlessly and effusively in the past. And if you think I hate the stalkless yoke, you would shudder to hear what my wife thinks of it…holy hell.

One of the reasons i went used model S over used model 3 was that the 3 (with no instrument cluster) felt like a toy in comparison. I somehow had an issue with the autopilot control on the shifter stalk.

The logical part of my brain keeps thinking that the layout of the controls (i.e. stalks!) doesn’t matter, shouldn’t matter. But emotionally it really does matter. I was lusting after the 2021 model S: For weeks I’d told myself if I had more money I’d order one to upgrade from my 2016 S, but now that I’ve found out that they eliminated all stalks (!!!) and the buttons on the yoke are capacitive buttons, holy hell I don’t think I want one at all anymore. Just because of no stalks. And I’m only in my thirties and i consider myself open minded.

So, moving controls from stalks to buttons on wheel is a travesty, and they went one step further… It’s unthinkable to drop physical buttons. I thought Tesla cared about user experience. They clearly do. This makes no sense. It’s to the point of a serious safety issue now that you cannot activate functions based on touch and feel by the removal of physically tactile buttons. How on earth.

I looked into this some more, and I now see that there are little positioning nubs on the surface, and supposedly there is haptic feedback when a button is activated? That helps but it still doesn’t necessarily allow you to feel it with your fingertip before you push the button in, you only get the feedback after it’s activated. But these things should help. It’s definitely still a safety issue for the airbag pouch not to trigger the horn, though. The least they could do is make it activate the horn if you put your hand over the left cluster of buttons as well. (I read that you can do this on the right cluster of buttons and it activates the horn, which is indeed better than having to specifically activate the horn button. I use the horn so seldom that I need all the help I can get to activate it quickly. This design is really disappointing.)

What I really don’t get is why most of the discussion on this topic is around the shape of the thing, which I know that I would get used to very quickly.

Actually, Elon has said in the past that once FSD was implemented, Tesla would stop selling cars because they'd use them all as robotaxis. The plan is to buy back recent model Teslas and convert them to FSD and robotaxis.

In other news: The flying pig roundup is going well with most of the aerial swine found below the 1500m cloud deck.

Wow, lot of yoke hate in here. Interesting how some opinions can be stated like objective facts, which they certainly are not. So far the people I see that actually have the car like the yoke, or are indifferent. But this thread makes it sound like everyone hates it. Lighten up all, this is why there’s a menu. Don’t buy the car if you don’t like an aspect of it. Or wait for an aftermarket solution.

But make no mistake, the yoke is not universally hated. And I’d be willing to bet I have more miles on my yoke Plaid than nearly anyone with one. I do not have an issue of seeing 1/3 of the main screen. I do like the yoke and how it opens up the dashboard. These opinions of mine create the objective fact that not everyone hates the yoke.

That said, I also believe the wipers, signals, and especially horn could have been better executed. But I also believe that I’ve bought a LOT of other vehicles that I’d question design decisions just as much as I question these. That in itself is not an excuse, but it is the case.

And save the Tesla fanboy nonsense. I’ve talked crap about Tesla for almost 10 years and within the last 8 months bought my first one. I’ve also has other EV’s. So fanboy, no. Appreciating what Tesla is doing and has done, yes.

Wow, lot of yoke hate in here. Interesting how some opinions can be stated like objective facts, which they certainly are not. So far the people I see that actually have the car like the yoke, or are indifferent. But this thread makes it sound like everyone hates it. Lighten up all, this is why there’s a menu. Don’t buy the car if you don’t like an aspect of it. Or wait for an aftermarket solution.

But make no mistake, the yoke is not universally hated. And I’d be willing to bet I have more miles on my yoke Plaid than nearly anyone with one. I do not have an issue of seeing 1/3 of the main screen. I do like the yoke and how it opens up the dashboard. These opinions of mine create the objective fact that not everyone hates the yoke.

That said, I also believe the wipers, signals, and especially horn could have been better executed. But I also believe that I’ve bought a LOT of other vehicles that I’d question design decisions just as much as I question these. That in itself is not an excuse, but it is the case.

And save the Tesla fanboy nonsense. I’ve talked crap about Tesla for almost 10 years and within the last 8 months bought my first one. I’ve also has other EV’s. So fanboy, no. Appreciating what Tesla is doing and has done, yes.
"I dislike how it covers the left 1/3 of the main screen, the turn signals, wipers & the horn is a god-awful placement plus it seems to serve no functional purpose but other than that it sure looks dope!" -you

First time being a fanboi?

Reactions: glide