Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MM Insights - "Max Pain"? + HtB insights & options MM hedging in stock?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a former CBOE stock options market maker (floor trader, not day trader) and someone who trained others to be professional options MM, my friend is a bit befuddled by the fascination with max pain.

While it is interesting to see where people have placed and are keeping their trades (open interest [OI]), most folks seem to think max pain is some kind of grand conspiracy between the market makers in the stock and/or stock options. Could you share more about that?

Yes, if stock blows through big OI strikes within a week or two of expiration, it will cause the person short the option to have to negatively scalp their position (which they were compensated for by collecting the option premium)... and yes also the person long the option will have to positively scalp their position (which they paid for by paying the option premium).

These things offset. Options is largely a zero sum game. Market makers largely stay "delta neutral." They trade the stock against their options positions to minimize stock direction risk.

Long call speculators cause market makers to buy stock against the calls they sell.

Covered call writers cause market makers to sell/short stock against the calls they buy. (this is why calls get crazy cheap on hard to borrow securities, because MM cannot short stock against calls they buy)

Long put speculators cause MM to sell stock against the puts they short. (this is why puts get crazy expensive on hard to borrow securities, because MM cannot or have to pay crazy interest to short the stock)

Cash covered put writers cause MM to buy stock against the puts they buy.

If market makers can also "delta lean" into positions. If their major short gamma position is higher on the stock they might "lean toward" that strike in case the stock blows through that strike, or they can religiously stay delta neutral. If their vega is negative, they may lean short because "stocks go up on an escalator, and down on an elevator", or down movements tend to cause volatility to go up (in normal stocks, in normal situations). So if stock goes down and vega goes up, your short delta position benefits from stock going down and short vega is hurt by IV increasing... If stock goes up, helped by vega going down, hurt by short deltas. There's no grand conspiracy by regular options MM.

Yes, we are in the era of the hunter killer stock algos that test the patience of the weak handed & weak willed. To the extent that Citadel and other hedge fund options MM control the market, they can launch their attacks to test or break options positions if they are on the other side, but it gets way harder with bigger, more heavily traded stocks. They generally cannot pull this crap with Tesla since it has been very heavily traded since December 2019. We are also in a bubble of day trading predatory market manipulation gangs (mostly preying on small float and HtB stocks).

Don't fool yourselves and stay safe out there.

Thank you @paydirt76

I am also interested in max pain. I was surprised to see the stock close above $1000 on Friday. My understanding (or lack thereof) based on the info on this board is that the MM would do everything they could to keep it below $1000 given the large number of contracts at the $1000 level.

You post help understand what the MMs are doing to manage their position. I guess the max pain/ or identifying large number of contracts is more like a magnet for the stock price (given that the MMs can manager their risk) rather than an absolute level where the MMs lose lots of money if the stock closes $0.01 above the strike price of the huge spike in options that expire that week.

more like a magnet for the stock price (given that the MMs can manager their risk) rather than an absolute level where the MMs lose lots of money

This is how I think of it also. By finishing at 1000.90, call sellers owed .90 / contract on those 1000 strike contracts. And the 1000 strike puts expired worthless.

If the shares had expired at $1020, then the option sellers would have owed $20/contract. Max pain does have a strike that is a max / min value, but last week, there were about 5 or 6 strikes on each side that were nearly the same value. You can see this incremental detail here:
Stock Option Max Pain

So yes, it's not a cliff - it's a continuously increasing thing, potentially with jumps as new strikes are reached (one side becomes worthless, the other side moves ITM).

I also note that if the volume is 'low', then the strength of that magnet is correspondingly lower. And for weeklies (such as this week), max pain is effectively meaningless prior to the final week before expiration. Maybe even meaningless until Wednesday of the final week -- all due to the relatively low volume, and therefore $$ on the line.

Thank you @paydirt76I am also interested in max pain. .

@adiggs

Real quick... Yeah that's right the open interest / max pain is more relevant the closer to expiration. The main function is gamma. Whichever party is short gamma at a certain strike is sweating bullets (let's say it is the MM) and if it blows thru a big OI strike then suddenly the MMs have to hedge their position by negatively scalping (buying stock above the short strike, or selling stock below short strike).

But for everyone negatively scalping their position to defend their position, the beneficiary is looking to lock in profits.

It shouldn't be assumed the MMs are long or short a certain strike. The whole max pain thing assumes the MMs are short all options and want the stock to just sit there or drift to some "happy place" This is not the case...

Bears like to buy puts (and some sell calls)
Bulls like to buy calls (and some sell puts)
Then there are the collar and wheel people, etc.
There are also people who play the reversals (long upside calls and funding the position by being short put).

Anyone can be short those big OI strikes and it can even be a mix of MMs and retail. Even between MMs, some may be short, some may be long a given strike.

This max pain stuff seems to be B.S. but I am open to being wrong