TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

MN Study: EV's are cleaner than ICE — Not Coal Cars.

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by ElectricTundra, Apr 20, 2016.

1. ElectricTundra

Minnesota study challenges ‘coal car’ claims about electric vehicles

"An electric vehicle contributes 29 tons of GHG emissions while a car using gasoline will release 75 tons over their respective lifetimes, based on 160,000 miles of travel. The emissions go to near zero when electric car owners participate in renewable energy programs, the analysis said."

2. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

#2 SageBrush, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    Spin from either side of the aisle is still obnoxious:
    According to fueleconomy.gov, the new Prius is 205 grams/mile CO2 based on 52 MPG. The more ECO version that costs $500 more is rated 56 MPG so will presumably be rated ~ 190 grams/mile.

I haven't checked whether the average grid emissions was used for the EV calculation, rather than the more sane marginal emissions but I'm willing to give 2:1 odds.

3. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

While the Prius is a great car it is far from the new car average MPG of about 23. So I think both are right the Prius may be 205 while the average car is 465.

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

I thought about that too, but the average ICE car is very dissimilar to an average EV so it is an apples to oranges comparison.

I posted the Prius as a car people might consider Vs an EV only from an emissions standpoint. And the wager regarding how the grid was calculated is still open ;-)