Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile adapter for this plug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5AD3C566-030A-470B-8A05-57E92B69219C.jpeg
Wondering if anyone knows which adapter would work for this plug. Thanks!

That looks like a NEMA 10-50R. You'd need something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Conntek-EV1050T-Adapter-compatible-Vehicles/dp/B00STD9SJY

Since I can't tell the size of it from the photo, it's also possible it's a NEMA 10-20R, which is smaller than the 10-50R.

If you own this outlet, you could change it a 6-50R. Avoid buying Leviton which can overheat under the continuous load of charging a car. There are some other threads that give the part #s for Hubbell or Bryant commercial grade receptacles, wire gauge, and breaker sizes.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Well, it's either a NEMA 10-20 or a NEMA 10-50. Would need some dimensions to be able to positively tell the difference between them. The 10-20 is about the width of a normal household receptacle/plug (1.3"). The 10-50 is about an inch and a half wider (2.8"). I'm pretty sure yours is the 10-50 which was occasionally used for cooking ranges in the past.

Tesla doesn't make adapters for either of these receptacle types, though. So, you'd have to buy an adapter from a 3rd party site. I know evseadapters.com sells 10-50 adapters for either the Gen 1 or Gen 2 mobile chargers (UMC). There may be others out there selling them, too. Another option would be to change the receptacle to one that Tesla sells an adapter for and then use Tesla's.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and GSP
This is a typical NEMA 10-50 plug for a kitchen range, but this model don't have a ground and is now deprecated.
You should check the fuses or circuit breakers associated with this plug,
However just looking at the wire diameter, I would not try getting more than 30-40 A and not 50 A.
In fact the Tesla Mobile Connector with a NEMA 14-50 plug will not uses more than 32A Nominal.
smart-choice-stove-parts-5304490721-64_1000.jpg

You could use a NEMA 10-50P to 14-R Adapter.

nema-14-50r-to-10-50p-adapter-2-ft_grande.jpg

But for a permanent installation I would recommend to replace it with a good quality wall outlet instead of an adapter,
allowing you to use directly the Tesla Mobile Connector.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP
That looks like a NEMA 10-50R. You'd need something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Conntek-EV1050T-Adapter-compatible-Vehicles/dp/B00STD9SJY

Since I can't tell the size of it from the photo, it's also possible it's a NEMA 10-20R, which is smaller than the 10-50R.

If you own this outlet, you could change it a 6-50R. Avoid buying Leviton which can overheat under the continuous load of charging a car. There are some other threads that give the part #s for Hubbell or Bryant commercial grade receptacles, wire gauge, and breaker sizes.
It appears to be a Leviton, if I read that correctly, shown in the bottom of his picture. Since overheating is a problem does anyone think he should change this out without something more reliable and safer?

• Helpful
Thanks. Very helpful and appreciate your guidance. This is a second home and I do know previous owners kept a stove plugged into that outlet. I guess I can have an electrician change the receptacle to accommodate Tesla Mobile adapter. Any ideas of what charge time would be with that receptacle? Thanks again!

If you’re plugging the Tesla UMC (mobile connector) into this outlet, you’ll be limited to 32 amps, which should add approx 30 miles of range per hour of charging. Assuming the breaker and wire gauge are adequately sized to not overheat. The stove the previous owners plugged in there was probably only used for an hour or two at a time while they were minding what they were cooking, not for many hours while you’re snug in your beds, so I would recommend upgrading this outlet and having an electrician check the condition of the wiring. Leviton is poor quality, and daisy chaining another adapter adds more resistance (e.g. heat). This thread is very helpful:

Definitive 14-50 NEMA Outlet Guide

If your wiring is sized right and in good condition, you can install a 6-50R which only uses 3 wires (2 hots + ground). The 14-50 needs 4 wires (2 hots, neutral, ground).

• Helpful
If you’re plugging the Tesla UMC (mobile connector) into this outlet, you’ll be limited to 32 amps, which should add approx 30 miles of range per hour of charging. Assuming the breaker and wire gauge are adequately sized to not overheat. The stove the previous owners plugged in there was probably only used for an hour or two at a time while they were minding what they were cooking, not for many hours while you’re snug in your beds, so I would recommend upgrading this outlet and having an electrician check the condition of the wiring. Leviton is poor quality, and daisy chaining another adapter adds more resistance (e.g. heat). This thread is very helpful:

Definitive 14-50 NEMA Outlet Guide

If your wiring is sized right and in good condition, you can install a 6-50R which only uses 3 wires (2 hots + ground). The 14-50 needs 4 wires (2 hots, neutral, ground).

The expected charge rate of a 32A 240-volt supply is closer to 20mph. Expect that and anything above that (better quality/newer wiring with less voltage drop for instance) is an added bonus. I just don't want to see anyone read this post and assume that if they're not getting 30MPH something is wrong. Most people see a consistent 30mph charge rage on a 40A 240-volt supply. That 8-amps can make a big difference in charge rate.

Just because an outlet says Leviton on it doesn't automatically mean it's poor quality or a fire hazard. Older Leviton production was perfectly acceptable. I also think that the over reaction to the newer Leviton production is a bit over dramatic. You can have the best possible materials in the world but poor installation and shoddy work will render it an absolute fire hazard for prolonged draws at 80%. If that person's wiring is done properly (nearly impossible to tell from this photo) then this outlet could be perfectly capable of supplying the current required for a UMC at 32A.

Either way, if the wiring is very old it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a trustworthy electrician involved to inspect at minimum and replace if necessary. Be careful though as most will see dollar signs as soon as they hear the word Tesla so use it sparingly or not at all if possible. The outlet should be perfectly capable of meeting your Tesla's needs if wired properly w/o ever even knowing it's going to be used to charge a Tesla. We had a NEMA 14-50 installed at the in-laws in Nebraska and the difference in quotes between the ones who were told it was for a Tesla was laughable. In the end, it's just a 50A outlet and nothing special so long as it's installed properly.

FWIW, the 14-50 doesn't NEED 2 hots, neutral and a ground if all it's going to be used for is the UMC. You can put a label that reads "Tesla ONLY" or something to that effect so someone else doesn't attempt to use it for a welder or something looking for the ground. Personally I wouldn't do this and I really wouldn't recommend anyone else doing this as it can and likely will create issues at some point down the road. If not with you then with the next home owner or the one after that. Either way, we're talking such an insignificant savings that it's not worth not installing the outlet properly to save a few bucks. Just mentioning that the UMC doesn't use a neutral and as such it doesn't need to be present at the outlet if the only use is going to be a Tesla UMC.

If cost savings is the goal here and bleeding edge charge rates aren't required for normal use I think the play here is to make an adapter for this existing outlet, have the outlet inspected (same person can likely make an adapter if you're not comfortable but it's really quite simple) to make sure it's up to code and properly terminated and then manually adjust your draw from within the car down a few amps just to be safe. Even if it all checks out to properly supply 32A you can drop it a couple of amps to 30A for instance just for a little bit of buffer for safety if you're concerned about it. For 99% of people's use a difference of 2-4A will probably never be noticeable.

The expected charge rate of a 32A 240-volt supply is closer to 20mph. Expect that and anything above that (better quality/newer wiring with less voltage drop for instance) is an added bonus. I just don't want to see anyone read this post and assume that if they're not getting 30MPH something is wrong. Most people see a consistent 30mph charge rage on a 40A 240-volt supply. That 8-amps can make a big difference in charge rate.

Just because an outlet says Leviton on it doesn't automatically mean it's poor quality or a fire hazard. Older Leviton production was perfectly acceptable. I also think that the over reaction to the newer Leviton production is a bit over dramatic. You can have the best possible materials in the world but poor installation and shoddy work will render it an absolute fire hazard for prolonged draws at 80%. If that person's wiring is done properly (nearly impossible to tell from this photo) then this outlet could be perfectly capable of supplying the current required for a UMC at 32A.

Either way, if the wiring is very old it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a trustworthy electrician involved to inspect at minimum and replace if necessary. Be careful though as most will see dollar signs as soon as they hear the word Tesla so use it sparingly or not at all if possible. The outlet should be perfectly capable of meeting your Tesla's needs if wired properly w/o ever even knowing it's going to be used to charge a Tesla. We had a NEMA 14-50 installed at the in-laws in Nebraska and the difference in quotes between the ones who were told it was for a Tesla was laughable. In the end, it's just a 50A outlet and nothing special so long as it's installed properly.

FWIW, the 14-50 doesn't NEED 2 hots, neutral and a ground if all it's going to be used for is the UMC. You can put a label that reads "Tesla ONLY" or something to that effect so someone else doesn't attempt to use it for a welder or something looking for the ground. Personally I wouldn't do this and I really wouldn't recommend anyone else doing this as it can and likely will create issues at some point down the road. If not with you then with the next home owner or the one after that. Either way, we're talking such an insignificant savings that it's not worth not installing the outlet properly to save a few bucks. Just mentioning that the UMC doesn't use a neutral and as such it doesn't need to be present at the outlet if the only use is going to be a Tesla UMC.

If cost savings is the goal here and bleeding edge charge rates aren't required for normal use I think the play here is to make an adapter for this existing outlet, have the outlet inspected (same person can likely make an adapter if you're not comfortable but it's really quite simple) to make sure it's up to code and properly terminated and then manually adjust your draw from within the car down a few amps just to be safe. Even if it all checks out to properly supply 32A you can drop it a couple of amps to 30A for instance just for a little bit of buffer for safety if you're concerned about it. For 99% of people's use a difference of 2-4A will probably never be noticeable.
One issue is the Tesla Mobile Connector which is quite heavy and might affect keeping a correct insertion of the plug into the wall receptacle.
A simple solution is to put a bracket to hold the Mobile Connector. Some people even use a bicycle water bottle holder to do so.

Reactions: ZM’s Dad
EVNation is correct. Here's another location to check out...NEMA 10-50P to 14-50R Adapter for EV – EVSE Adapters
They have it in 2 ft. ($39) and 10 ft lengths. ($59). Plus they have long extension cords if you ever need them.
One issue is the Tesla Mobile Connector which is quite heavy and might affect keeping a correct insertion of the plug into the wall receptacle.
A simple solution is to put a bracket to hold the Mobile Connector. Some people even use a bicycle water bottle holder to do so.

thank you!

Reactions: NuttyM3