Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile app 3.10.0, Homelink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a M3 with full self driving and the homelink icon shows in the phone app. We also have a 2013 MS and there is no homelink icon for the same garage door. Both cars open and close the garage door just fine. As others have said it would be much nicer if the release notes stated specifically that the homelink feature on the app was tied to full self driving and that maybe it will become available to those of us with legacy cars in the future....

Wait....seriously? I just purchased homelink on the tesla store "just" because of this feature being added to the app. It will prevent me from having to take my garage door opener to and from my car every time I need to go to my garage. I don't have FSD and I don't see why on earth they should be linked...
Your car will still open the garage automatically from the car as it approaches. Just don't have button in app.

We have a M3 with full self driving and the homelink icon shows in the phone app. We also have a 2013 MS and there is no homelink icon for the same garage door. Both cars open and close the garage door just fine. As others have said it would be much nicer if the release notes stated specifically that the homelink feature on the app was tied to full self driving and that maybe it will become available to those of us with legacy cars in the future....

Just curious, can you open/close the door from anywhere as long as the Tesla is at home?

Just curious, can you open/close the door from anywhere as long as the Tesla is at home?
My garage doors have their own app separate from tesla that works to monitor, open or close doors from my phone anytime.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191118-154006_myQ.jpg
    Screenshot_20191118-154006_myQ.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 78
Reactions: RSL2020
My car has all the options including HomeLink. HomeLink works great from the car, but not while trying to activate it from the app. Car is in the garage and can’t get any closer.

This is what I get.

Attachments

• 73351E51-10F7-4C06-9E51-BE088E4C0B83.png
    73351E51-10F7-4C06-9E51-BE088E4C0B83.png
    683 KB · Views: 60
My car has all the options including HomeLink. HomeLink works great from the car, but not while trying to activate it from the app. Car is in the garage and can’t get any closer.

This is what I get.

Figured it out. Even though the HomeLink button shows up in the App under Controls, it won’t work unless you enable HomeLink in the car under the Summons preferences. I did not have to enable the Auto Open/Close feature to get it to work.

this could probably be fixed with a software update.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
Ok.. I have a M3 and wife has MS (she has FSD)

When I view my M3 in the App under 'Controls' there is no Homelink.
If I switch over to her MS (on my phone) it shows Homelink under Controls.

Which basically means all I have to do is switch to her car in the App to open (or close) the garage.

Correct, the model 3 does not have FSD.

Fred

The problem is when this feature was first advertised it didn't make any mention of having to have full self-driving or any such thing. It was listed as something that would become available with any Model S or X that had homelink built into the vehicle which mine does. However sadly the homelink button never came to fruition in the app and no explanation was ever given. It just doesn't work.

Here is my theory.... The app uses the REST API which runs on a server and is likely maintained by a different team. I've personally tested the REST function and it fails if you call it on a non-FSD car. So this is not the app developer's fault. He/they are just hiding a button that wouldn't work on a non-FSD car anyway. But this may not be the REST developer's fault either. Since the REST API is basically just acting as a proxy to call a function on the car itself it's possible that the function it calls is simply not available on the car unless you have FSD enabled. The reason for that could be simple. The activation of HomeLink from the server is only required when using summon, so it's possible that the developers added it to the FSD package/class instead of the main software because it was added when they were working on summon. And unless someone went out of their way to move it over to the main code base just so it could work with the REST API and in turn the app it would make perfect sense that it works the way it does now.