TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Mobile app and interior temperature

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Caligula, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Caligula

Caligula Member

So in the few days I've owned my MS I've noticed that the app is... buggy. Won't connect, resets, etc... (mostly won't connect). I've also noticed that sometimes it will display the interior temperature of my cabin, and other times not. Now, I'm not sure if this is a "bug" or a feature I'm turning on/off somehow, so some feedback here would be nice. Obviously I'd love to see how hot it is (or cold I suppose) in the car in order to determine if I should start the HVAC, or not.

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Maybe you should delete and reinstall? I haven't had those issues and I've been using the iPhone app since version 1.0. Or do you have the android app? You didn't specify.

3. Caligula

Caligula Member

#3 Caligula, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
    Sorry, it didn't occur to me to specify. It is the android app, yes. I went ahead and reinstalled, so we will see if that helps at all. Sadly this is a random thing so I never know when/if it'll happen. I take it its always supposed to display cabin temp?

4. DJung

DJung Member

The Tesla App is kinda iffy on android, although it's gotten much better. I've learned that the app takes forever to connect to the car if it's already open. You have to completely close the app by swiping the app away in the recent app drawer or press the back button until the app exits, and then reopen the app. You can't just press the home button to exit the app. If you see the red Tesla logo splashscreen, you know the app has completely reopened and it should connect quickly. It may also take a long time to get connected to the vehicle if your car has a weak data connection, such as parking in an underground parking structure.

Also for the interior temperature, you just gotta be a bit patient. The app has to poll the car for the interior temp via Tesla's server, then the car has to relay that back to your phone via Tesla's servers. This process can take a while for the interior temp to be reflected on the climate screen on the application especially when the app just connected to the car. It may also take a few moments for the HVAC to reflect that it is turned on after you turned initiated it from the mobile app. The interior temp should always be showing, but it takes a while to retrieve that info from the car.

5. Caligula

Caligula Member

Perfect information. Thank you.

6. DougH

DougH Active Member

Why do you have an S in front of 85D in your sig?...that's so 2013.

7. DJung

DJung Member

You're welcome. Let me know if you have any additional difficulties. It's odd that Tesla hasn't fixed these issues yet. It's been several years.

8. Caligula

Caligula Member

I apparently don't understand the nomenclature. I assumed that meant "Model S 85D". I assume it means signature or something else then?

9. Spacela

Spacela Member

I was under the impression that interior temperature only shows up on the app when the HVAC is running.

10. Caligula

Caligula Member

It does. However I've noticed it also does (sometimes) even when it's not.

11. DougH

DougH Active Member

No MS or S or MS 85D just 85D. That's what you ordered, that's what you drive! :wink:

85D FTW!

- - - Updated - - -

Your screen name cracks me up, reminds me of this:

Seinfeld Pastrami - YouTube

12. Caligula

Caligula Member

You arent the first person to liken me to george costanza... :biggrin: You should have seen my old wallet!

13. jlucero

jlucero Member

yea, i wish the android app was a bit more versatile. i find it really buggy as well and constantly have to reset the app in order to get it to work.

14. cbin97

cbin97 Member

is "always connected" turned on in the settings in your car? Before I turned that on I had problems connecting all the time, now not really ever.

15. Caligula

Caligula Member

Didnt know that was a thing. What menu is it under?

16. jlucero

jlucero Member

would be nice if the android app could control the fan, or strength of the AC.

17. DJung

DJung Member

Controls (bottom left on center console) -> Displays -> Power Management (check the always connected​ checkbox)

18. Caligula

Caligula Member

Much appreciated. I really should spend some time in the car just playing with the options.