Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile app and interior temperature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So in the few days I've owned my MS I've noticed that the app is... buggy. Won't connect, resets, etc... (mostly won't connect). I've also noticed that sometimes it will display the interior temperature of my cabin, and other times not. Now, I'm not sure if this is a "bug" or a feature I'm turning on/off somehow, so some feedback here would be nice. Obviously I'd love to see how hot it is (or cold I suppose) in the car in order to determine if I should start the HVAC, or not.

So in the few days I've owned my MS I've noticed that the app is... buggy. Won't connect, resets, etc... (mostly won't connect). I've also noticed that sometimes it will display the interior temperature of my cabin, and other times not. Now, I'm not sure if this is a "bug" or a feature I'm turning on/off somehow, so some feedback here would be nice. Obviously I'd love to see how hot it is (or cold I suppose) in the car in order to determine if I should start the HVAC, or not.
Maybe you should delete and reinstall? I haven't had those issues and I've been using the iPhone app since version 1.0. Or do you have the android app? You didn't specify.

Maybe you should delete and reinstall? I haven't had those issues and I've been using the iPhone app since version 1.0. Or do you have the android app? You didn't specify.

Sorry, it didn't occur to me to specify. It is the android app, yes. I went ahead and reinstalled, so we will see if that helps at all. Sadly this is a random thing so I never know when/if it'll happen. I take it its always supposed to display cabin temp?

Last edited:
The Tesla App is kinda iffy on android, although it's gotten much better. I've learned that the app takes forever to connect to the car if it's already open. You have to completely close the app by swiping the app away in the recent app drawer or press the back button until the app exits, and then reopen the app. You can't just press the home button to exit the app. If you see the red Tesla logo splashscreen, you know the app has completely reopened and it should connect quickly. It may also take a long time to get connected to the vehicle if your car has a weak data connection, such as parking in an underground parking structure.

Also for the interior temperature, you just gotta be a bit patient. The app has to poll the car for the interior temp via Tesla's server, then the car has to relay that back to your phone via Tesla's servers. This process can take a while for the interior temp to be reflected on the climate screen on the application especially when the app just connected to the car. It may also take a few moments for the HVAC to reflect that it is turned on after you turned initiated it from the mobile app. The interior temp should always be showing, but it takes a while to retrieve that info from the car.

The Tesla App is kinda iffy on android, although it's gotten much better. I've learned that the app takes forever to connect to the car if it's already open. You have to completely close the app by swiping the app away in the recent app drawer or press the back button until the app exits, and then reopen the app. You can't just press the home button to exit the app. If you see the red Tesla logo splashscreen, you know the app has completely reopened and it should connect quickly. It may also take a long time to get connected to the vehicle if your car has a weak data connection, such as parking in an underground parking structure.

Also for the interior temperature, you just gotta be a bit patient. The app has to poll the car for the interior temp via Tesla's server, then the car has to relay that back to your phone via Tesla's servers. This process can take a while for the interior temp to be reflected on the climate screen on the application especially when the app just connected to the car. It may also take a few moments for the HVAC to reflect that it is turned on after you turned initiated it from the mobile app. The interior temp should always be showing, but it takes a while to retrieve that info from the car.

Perfect information. Thank you.

I apparently don't understand the nomenclature. I assumed that meant "Model S 85D". I assume it means signature or something else then?

No MS or S or MS 85D just 85D. That's what you ordered, that's what you drive! :wink:

85D FTW!

- - - Updated - - -

Your screen name cracks me up, reminds me of this:

Seinfeld Pastrami - YouTube