Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

mobile app: parked location is wrong in an odd way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this isn't about a software update but I could not find a better forum for this.

its about the app. for me, the android app (I have no iphones, only android) shows an odd location when I park. I am frequently at a location that has a numeric pattern like '808 foo street' and yet the mobile app shows '16 foo street'.

8 + 8 = 16

but that's a zero in the middle!

I'm nowhere near 16 foo, when I park. there actually isn't a 16 foo (foo is made up anyway, but that's not the point).

anyone else see this odd bug?

almost like they are *executing a math operation* for some quite strange reason. or not, maybe its just that they have very wrong map data.

its right in the middle of the sf bay area, so I would expect tesla to 'know' this set of streets and how numbers work.

anyway, wondering if anyone else has seen this.

(go to your mobile app and just scroll down until you see 'charging' and then below that is 'location', right above that MOST DANGEROUS 'upgrades' button).

Addresses are generally calculated by knowing the start and end addresses on a street segment, as well as which side is even.
Evidently that street has the segment mis-marked. What about other GPS/mapping applications, what do they say? What happens if you route to the address.

Addresses are generally calculated by knowing the start and end addresses on a street segment, as well as which side is even.
Evidently that street has the segment mis-marked. What about other GPS/mapping applications, what do they say? What happens if you route to the address.

I've never seen this address listed wrong, like that, before. I would have noticed.

I can use the navigate option in the car to drive me to that address by its real number and it knows it.

it seems the reverse mapping gets it wrong.

just at this location.

like....its a bermuda triangle for reverse-gps!

;)

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
I don't see that level of error, but at one location the Tesla Android app gives my neighbor's address when the car is parked at my house. I'm pretty sure Tesla uses Google for their mapping information and Google knows the proper address. So I suspect it is more an issue of GPS accuracy. GPS is far from perfect and can have an error of 20 or 30 feet easily. That's why the car may know which road you are on but can't tell which lane.

I'm pretty sure Google doesn't "calculate" address locations by spreading the addresses along a block evenly. In one location where I park that would just plain not work since my house (the first on the block and numbered 4) is about half way up the street because the property on the corner is very large and the address is on the cross street. If you look on Google, they show property boundaries and so know exactly where each address is located unless there is just plain an error (which I have seen).

I used to have to enter a completely different address to reach a friend's home using the navigator, 4xxx rather than 8xxx. Then one day they received a package from FedEx with a printout of a Google map image taped to it and a highlighter showing the driver where the house was rather than where Google would take you. Shortly after that my navigator would find the house using the correct address.

My other friend is in a retirement community where all the houses are owned by the facility. They had his address on the wrong arm of that street and indicated road where there was a walking path. I finally figured out how to tell Google the address was in the wrong location and they fixed both the address and the sidewalk error. I guess a person looked at the images and figured it out.

The whole Google map thing is pretty amazing really. That is the sort of thing that makes the Internet possibly an even more important means of communication than the telephone or TV.

Reactions: APotatoGod