TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Mobile app places my car in western China

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by zwede, Sep 2, 2014.

1. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

Anyone had a similar problem? When I check the current location of my car in the phone app it gives me a map of western China. The car is in Texas.

Reboot time?

2. romp

romp Member

#2 romp, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    Does the map in the car look OK? If so, somewhere along the car -> server -> app chain the lat-long got changed.

Let me guess, the app shows that the car is in Qinghai province, close to Yushu? If that's the case and assuming the car is currently parked in Plano, TX, this means the longitude sign got lost: Plano is 33N 96W, whereas Yushu is 33N 96E. East is usually denoted as positive longitude, whereas West hemisphere is represented by negative longitude numbers. This means that some app or server, somewhere, lost the "-" in front of the longitude. Type cast problem: easy to overlook in a branch with little test coverage.

If my analysis correct, I'd start with rebooting the app first (or using a different device). If that doesn't work, I'd move the car to see if it changes things. Then reboot the car. If nothing else helps, the problem is probably in the Tesla servers and I would inform them.

Please do let us know what it turns out to be. Very interested.

3. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Are you sure? Have you checked your garage? :cool:

4. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

Sorry, but this is funny. Maybe not so much so if you're in an accident and Tesla sends an ambulance to another hemisphere.

5. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

#5 zwede, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    It is kinda funny. :)

It's not the app. My phone and the chrome extension both show it in China.

I'll reboot it this afternoon and see what happens.

At first I thought it didn't load a map, as it was just all white. Turns out that that part of China is pretty deserted. Once I zoomed out enough I found out where I was.

Oh, the map & nav in the car is fine.

Here's what it looks like zoomed out a bit:

TeslaLocation.png

Looks like I'm west of Qinghai, in Tibet.

6. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

Update: Did a reboot, and the car is still Chinese. I'll call Tesla and see if they can fix it.

Edit: The Chrome app shows the car in China, but now the phone app is correct! I'll wait a bit and see if the chrome app gets fixed also. I didn't call Tesla, it was the car (main screen) reboot that corrected the phone app.

7. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Similar issue but related to the car nav was reported by andrewket a few months ago; his car showed a charge location in the Indian Ocean: I-bet-nobody-else-has-charged-here

8. dsmith2189

dsmith2189 Active Member

I was in Hawaii and I had a location in the Australian Desert. Nothing but sand... I thought I was the first MS in Australia:cool: it corrected itself after I left the parking garage. :frown:
    Picture or id didn't happen:wink:
    IMAG0191crop.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I had one charge location that was in the middle of a boat harbor here in Hawaii. I was charging in the same garage as when I "went to Australia"

9. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

OVMS in the Tesla Roadster defaults to somewhere in the hills of Wales (due to the strange encoding of latitude/longitude on the Tesla Roadster CAN bus).

10. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

FYI, your S charging cable is not compatible in china, you should teleport it back ASAP!

11. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

Sorry to disappoint but Tesla have had 3 or 4 Model S demonstrators in Australia for a while now.
    Yours might be the first one in the desert however. ;-)

12. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

Both the phone app and visibletesla shows the correct location after the main screen reboot. But the chrome app still has it in China. I'll ask the developer over on the other thread.

13. HHHH

HHHH Member

Maybe this is Tesla's way of comparing Texas dealer laws to China...lol

14. daxz

daxz Member

#14 daxz, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    So did the feature "Location Warp" as shown in Salesforce1 ad get out of testing?
    Or perhaps you used the "time travel" feature and you have traveled back to today and you are in China and the app is picking the time traveled car. :wink:

Get to the Future First with Salesforce1 - YouTube

Sounds like a missing negative (-) on longitude problem to me too.

15. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Big trouble in little China?