Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile app update is coming but I am not impressed with the rumored features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because... California

This is a common problem.
Tesla is so focused on California related issues that anything winter related is an after thought.

Recently I brought up how you can't lift up the wipers if you know a storm is coming. So my wipers froze to the windshield.

Some California posters said "well just use the wiper heaters" like we are idiots out here. Problem is you can't turn on wiper heaters remotely you have to get in car to do that. A car with freezing seats by the way. Cause you can't turn them on remotely either. Same with ice on rear window. So you gotta go and wait 10 minutes to drive, burning a ton of range. Unless you want to sit in a cold car with no heat for 10 minutes in 5F weather

It was like AWD. Californians telling Minnesotans that we don't need AWD, and that RWD is SO much better.
Then we magically find out AWD improves Driving in California (launching, range, handling, etc) and THEN we get it.

May God please hit Palo Alto with 5 blizzards so that Elon can think about winter:p
You're probably right, sadly. But, plenty of people complain about it and you'd think they'd pay at least some attention to what their customers want. Particularly with something that would be so easy to implement. Also, those windshield wiper heaters are worthless. The rear defroster is also pretty terrible.

As for putting them up for snow, you can do that! You just have to go into the service menu and there's a setting for cleaning them which moves them up. I've used it before for just that purpose.

May God please hit Palo Alto with 5 blizzards so that Elon can think about winter:p
+1 from Canada, eh!

The other thing that the car needs, although it doesn't really apply to the app, is persistent steering wheel heater. Why do I have to turn this on every time I get in the car? It should be like the driver's seat heater - turn it on in November and it stays on until April or so.

I've had my P85 for 4 years - and the android app is still listed as beta - and typically lags months (or longer) behind the Apple app.

We don't have any Apple devices and don't plan to buy any - we have a 100D on order and plan to buy a Model 3 - and hope whatever improvements are coming in the smartphone app will work with our devices.

Reactions: SG57
I hope Android gets a complete rebuild. I'm not familiar with the iOS app, but the Android app is probably my worst built app on my phone, and is clearly not designed by an experienced and accomplished Android development team.

Yeah, it's pretty crappy and obviously designed by an intern. I wouldn't say it's the worst I've had or have, but it's pretty damned close.

I have to force close it nearly every single time I use it because it won't connect to the car the first time. It's like that on 3 different phones and two different cars.

Reactions: grayguy
EM stated the revamped mobile app and 8.1 will arrive by end of Jan but I don't believe the date will be met.
Since when has Tesla ever met a Musk - imposed deadline? If I remember correctly, this is only the first time they've pushed this particular update back (previously end of December), so they've probably got at least one more delay in the works.
When it finally does arrive, I'd also be very surprised if it comes with the major interface updates that were promised.

Reactions: grayguy and SG57
As for putting them up for snow, you can do that! You just have to go into the service menu and there's a setting for cleaning them which moves them up. I've used it before for just that purpose.
What now? No you can't, not in a 2015 anyway. The service wipers feature moves the blades up the screen, but due to the hood you cannot leave the wipers lifted off the screen as is common practice where things freeze. Has this changed in later production (I'm thinking not).

Looking at the tweets, it looks as if the app update and 8.1 will be at different times, about two weeks apart, making 8.1 a month from now. I'm guessing they want 8.1 to include feature parity with AP1. Seeing that the app update and 8.1 are seperate, there goes my hope for the app including smart summon.

I use Android. There is a third party Tesla app ($14) that is WAY better than Tesla's. I think he said he would be adding iPhone (yuck - just kidding) support. It's called Dashboard for Tesla. You can check out the Android version here Dashboard for Tesla - Android Apps on Google Play

BD

That app is kind of ridiculous. $15 for the app, then you get nickel and dimed to death to add the features it should already have. On top of that, you can't even try it out unless you pay $1! So if it's crappy, well, too bad, you won't know until you fork over $$$!

There's no way in hell I would support a shady ass developer like that. After all is said and done $27 for a stupid smartphone app is, well, Ludicrous.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker