Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile app update is coming but I am not impressed with the rumored features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla owners are amazingly frustrated with EM and Tesla. EM/Tesla constantly over commit and under deliver. We want so badly to believe, and especially the more technically astute owners know it's all feasible so it seems so reasonable to assume they will do what EM says. And then they don't. December becomes February, February March, and then when it's finally delivered it has only half the features.

And EM continues to sell the sizzle, while we look at the cold steak.

Be Here Now. What we have is what we have. What we may receive cannot be known. Peace comes from no expectations. :)

That app is kind of ridiculous. $15 for the app, then you get nickel and dimed to death to add the features it should already have. On top of that, you can't even try it out unless you pay $1! So if it's crappy, well, too bad, you won't know until you fork over $$$!

There's no way in hell I would support a shady ass developer like that. After all is said and done $27 for a stupid smartphone app is, well, Ludicrous.

I agree the price is high but I would not call the developer shady. He has been very responsive on this forum and tries to make changes as requested by others frequently. Certain things I wish were included like Summon, but he also ran a special for the app being $10, again missing features like Summon. There are plenty of apps out there that cost way more than this such as Harry's Lap Timer which can be around $40 or Carly for BMW which is around $50 which is ludicrous in my opinion.

As for other features like Smart Charging and Camper Mode, I don't care about either and I am okay with certain ones having an additional cost. Again I just wouldn't call him shady because many people on here, including myself who uses the app, would disagree.

Reactions: Andyw2100
I agree the price is high but I would not call the developer shady. He has been very responsive on this forum and tries to make changes as requested by others frequently. Certain things I wish were included like Summon, but he also ran a special for the app being $10, again missing features like Summon. There are plenty of apps out there that cost way more than this such as Harry's Lap Timer which can be around $40 or Carly for BMW which is around $50 which is ludicrous in my opinion.

As for other features like Smart Charging and Camper Mode, I don't care about either and I am okay with certain ones having an additional cost. Again I just wouldn't call him shady because many people on here, including myself who uses the app, would disagree.

I'm not sure what else you can call it when you charge someone to even see the app. Yes, it's only $1 to even look at the app, but that's just ridiculous and shady as hell. If the app is as great as you say, why charge $1 to even look at it? Allow a 14 day demo period or something for free. If it's so great, then after 14 days, people will pay the fee... but to charge $1 just to try it out for a single day is, in a word, shady. It tells me the app is complete crap and he just wants to bleed people as much as possible before they realize it.

I'm not sure what else you can call it when you charge someone to even see the app. Yes, it's only $1 to even look at the app, but that's just ridiculous and shady as hell. If the app is as great as you say, why charge $1 to even look at it? Allow a 14 day demo period or something for free. If it's so great, then after 14 days, people will pay the fee... but to charge $1 just to try it out for a single day is, in a word, shady. It tells me the app is complete crap and he just wants to bleed people as much as possible before they realize it.

I still wouldn't call him shady personally and I know he hands out daily trials all the time. I have no connection to him and don't want to start an argument. I do agree with you about costing and such.

Why Tesla won't just give us a good app with features they see people want. Full sunroof control, ease to start the car and unlock without the stupid second confirmation and widgets. As an Android user widgets are huge to me. Camper mode eh. Summon yes I want that there. Software updates remotely. Also show me doors open and windows open. Let us control the heated seats and windshield. I also want to be able to open the frunk and hatch from the app. I know from a security standpoint they likely want to limit as much as possible.

Reactions: Naonak
First look with pictures at Tesla’s new mobile app with new UI, touch ID, and widgets

Looks like another disappointment like the 8.0 update. A bunch of new fonts and likely broken usability (still not fixed in 8.0.x). New features? What new features?

All you guys thinking there will be cold weather updates.. LOL.
It makes me nervous to not see any controls or toggles for the rear and mirror defroster. Hopefully they are in there somewhere along with new summon features, although we might not see that until 8.1

These are just early Android App page images for the new App, I hope the actual app is a lot more informative and deeper with its options than these images imply.
I want more battery info while charging, ability to see more of the control settings for ranges and battery % in the app, wing mirrors and rear window remote on/off, better summon and so forth.
The app map would be handy if it was capable of doing journeys and had SC stall occupancy information also.

Still the actual launch is maybe a week or so will tell us more, just fingers crossed it is actually more than we see here :)

It seems from the preliminary info this update is pretty much a facelift only.

I must say I am disappointed too.

Seat heaters and defrosters would have been obviously needed features. And not just for remote use, but for rear seat passengers being able to adjust their own seat heaters. That would be a very obvious use scenario, in fact something I think Tesla did actually consider or do for the executive rear seating for some market... (Was it planned or done for China?)

On a slight tangent: Maybe I've missed something but I have a hard time keeping the front window blower running when the car is stopped. Is there any way to do this today? That is absolute craziness in winter weather that you can not have the blowers blowing at windows while you go out and clear your windows... Any car I know does this except my Tesla. It just stops when I leave the car. This would have been a great use for the app...

Reactions: Dax279