Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We use both, apparently randomly.

We talk about pints of milk, but it's sold in litres. We drink beer in pints. We measure fuel economy in miles per gallon but petrol is sold in litres. We measure long distances in miles and short distances in centimetres. Half the population knows their height in feet and the other half in metres, and neither knows the other measurement.
We mix them up too, doubtless for dramatic effect. Cold weather gets referred to in degrees C but hot weather in F. "It was -3 yesterday and to think only 5 months ago it was nearly 80."

• Funny
Reactions: Campi
We mix them up too, doubtless for dramatic effect. Cold weather gets referred to in degrees C but hot weather in F. "It was -3 yesterday and to think only 5 months ago it was nearly 80."
Yes, that split was always the case! We're showing our age with that problem though ... but I think I've finally made the full transition nowadays so I mostly manage to use degrees C even for high temperatures.

This conversation is fascinating. I bet we could work out each other’s age just by the units we know!
Temperature has always been C for me and F means nothing. I know my height in feet and cm, my weight in stones and kg (fat is fat right?) and I still think of carpets being priced by the square yard.

Moderation comment - thread renamed to include general 4.4 discussion from "Mobile app 4.4.0 gone metric?"

Since updating to 4.4.0 my mobile app (iOS) seems to have decided to show stuff in kilometres rather than miles (so range and last charging session for example). Anyone else seeing the same?
Yes, I get the same. Have you got a solution yet

Another new user here. My app has switched from miles to Km. Fortunately the car still shows miles and MPH (I suspect that if it didn't it would instantly be illegal in the UK, as the constructionand use regulations, I believe, require a speedometer reading in miles)!

My initial impressions of Tesla's software, coming from a BMW, is that it's not very reliable. I never had phantom braking when using the adaptive cruise control in the BMW. It's quite a regular occurrence in my Model 3 Performance. The BMW version of autopilot was better in some respects but not others. However, when it failed it did so in a far more predictable and safer way. For example, when it decided to bail out, it just disengaged and gave a warning, it never jammed on the brakes as well! It never kept reporting the adjacent hedge on a country road as a blinded camera, which the M3P does all the time. Maybe they don't have hedges in CaliforniaL, but we do!

This does take the shine off what is otherwise a great car.

Moderation comment - thread renamed to include general 4.4 discussion from "Mobile app 4.4.0 gone metric?"

Since updating to 4.4.0 my mobile app (iOS) seems to have decided to show stuff in kilometres rather than miles (so range and last charging session for example). Anyone else seeing the same?
Same for me. The car software still shows everything in miles. Looks like I can only change between KM & % on the App

Whilst I am having a moan, the auto wipers and auto dip headlights are useless compared to the BMW equivalents, which work just fine. Part of the same issue, poorly developed software.
I think the wipers and headlight issues are slightly different to the app issue. The app issue is something to do with the developers lack of knowledge regarding UK systems of measurement. They just clubbed UK with the whole of Europe cluster.

The wiper and headlight issues had been discussed in detail elsewhere

Another new user here. My app has switched from miles to Km. Fortunately the car still shows miles and MPH (I suspect that if it didn't it would instantly be illegal in the UK, as the constructionand use regulations, I believe, require a speedometer reading in miles)!

My initial impressions of Tesla's software, coming from a BMW, is that it's not very reliable. I never had phantom braking when using the adaptive cruise control in the BMW. It's quite a regular occurrence in my Model 3 Performance. The BMW version of autopilot was better in some respects but not others. However, when it failed it did so in a far more predictable and safer way. For example, when it decided to bail out, it just disengaged and gave a warning, it never jammed on the brakes as well! It never kept reporting the adjacent hedge on a country road as a blinded camera, which the M3P does all the time. Maybe they don't have hedges in CaliforniaL, but we do!

This does take the shine off what is otherwise a great car.
There are couple of threads discussing how to manage phantom braking and other issues. The moderator will move the thread if we discuss this here.

I think the wipers and headlight issues are slightly different to the app issue. The app issue is something to do with the developers lack of knowledge regarding UK systems of measurement. They just clubbed UK with the whole of Europe cluster.

The wiper and headlight issues had been discussed in detail elsewhere
You may be right, but to me it's all poorly developed software and a little disappointing.

You may be right, but to me it's all poorly developed software and a little disappointing.
The wiper and headlight issues are because Tesla is not using the tried and tested radars other car manufacturers use but relies on the overarching AI model that is the core of why Tesla’s technology is so much adored. For the interest of futuristic cars and the growth of AI we may have to put up with the little annoyances of wipers and headlights.

Reactions: melduk
Speak for yourself. I would have no idea what 80ºF is without doing the maths to convert it to Celsius. Most weather forecasts haven't used Fahrenheit in decades - although some still do give temperatures in both scales.

Same issue here. Car showing miles. App showing km. Tapping app next to battery icon switches to percentage SOC. no obvious means of telling app that miles are more useful in (erm) a country where distances are measured in miles. Is this a super-subtle form of revenge for Brexit😉?

• Funny
Reactions: spdpsba